Story [HTTYD] Moment of Weakness (Response to the 50 sentence challenge for May Table IV)Author's response

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by mrjop2, May 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl
  1. mrjop2 Force Ghost

star 4
    Author: mrjop2
    Title: Moment of Weakness
    Fandom: How to Train Your Dragon
    Timeframe: During the events of Trial By Fire
    Characters: Hiccup

Summary: This is kind of like a deleted scene from my main work: Trial by Fire! It takes place approximately around Chapter 15, which is about to be posted. In this scene, Astrid had just broken up with Hiccup, thinking that his jealousy is unacceptable towards Bitwolf. She is unaware that Bitwolf is playing her to get her to turn against Hiccup. Hiccup is heartbroken with the sudden breakup of their relationship,and sinks a little into depression.

Notes: This is my first challenge response and it is for the Fifty Sentence Challenge of May. Please be kind, but comments are highly desired! :D:D

01. Settled
    Hiccup had settled with the idea that he had nothing more to lose.

02. Seam
    With Astrid gone from his life, it felt like the seam of his heart had been ripped open.

03. Similar
    Similar to having his heart ripped from his chest, Astrid?s breaking up with him, was the straw that broke the dragon?s back.

04. Scrupulous
    If this had been Bitwolf?s scrupulous plan all along, to steal Astrid?s heart and make him the joke of the village once more, then he pulled it off perfectly.

05. Static
    Bitwolf had his friends so turned against him, that they were giving him static.

06. Skill
    There was no downplaying the Viking?s skill in manipulation and deceit; Hiccup had to give him that much.

07. Sheer
    Through sheer determination, Bitwolf had come in and ruined everything Hiccup had fought so hard for.

08. Simplicity
    He had taken advantage of his simplicity, and easy going nature.

09. Sinister
    He was much more sinister than Hiccup had given him credit for.

10. Sorrel
    Hiccup had a sorrel-colored knapsack ready to go; for the sake of Toothless, he had no other choice but to leave Berk forever.

11. Satisfy
    He was not doing it to satisfy Bitwolf in the least; he was doing it to protect Toothless from Ivar?s wrath, once he is made aware of Berk?s attempt to hide the dragons from him.

12. Sanguine
    He no longer had any sanguine that his father was going to be able to stand up to Ivar; he had continuously cowered before the Viking?s shadow.

13. Sashay
    With his satchel full, he was ready for the small sashay to the field where Toothless was waiting.

14. Sepulcher
    He still did not know how he would survive on his own; he feared that he would be sepulchered somewhere in the forest, never to be seen from again.

15. Semblance
    Hiccup let out a depressing sigh; this had no semblance to how he thought life would be like, after his tribe had accepted Dragons.

16. Secure
    He had been so secure that life was only going to get better; so what happened?

17. Sample
    Life had been so great up to this point; he even had sampled the fruits of love, before it all came crashing down around him.

18. Sennet
    This was not the departing sennet that he had anticipated or even wanted; he never really had any sort of dream to leave Berk at all.

19. Spoil
    Bitwolf had spoiled his entire life, leaving him no option but to uproot himself to save Toothless? life.

20. Sequence
    He had tried to replay the sequence of events in his mind that led up to this very moment.

21. Stage
    The stage had been set up for this day, even before he knew what was happening.

22. Survivor
    Hiccup took a deep breath, shaking his negative thoughts away; he had to convince himself that he would come out of this a survivor.

23. Sobriquet
    Who knows, by the end of it all, he may, yet, still earn his sobriquet: a title at the end of a Viking?s name which is given to only the most highly respected Vikings, like his father, Stoick the Vast, and Ivar the Fearsome.

24. Sunder
    He reached for his satchel, but after he grabbed it, he paused; was he really so willing to let the likes of Bi
  2. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Very cool the way you used the challenge to present the missing scene.:cool:

I'll have to go back to this when you post the chapter to get the full perspective.

3. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
  4. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    This was a very interesting way to see these prompts used! I don't think that I have seen a cohesive tale told yet. [face_thinking] And it fit the scene you wished to portray well - very emotionally packed. =D=

Well done! :)

~MJ @};-
  5. DaenaBenjen42 Force Ghost

star 5
    Awesome, awesome missing scene and wonderful response to the 50 Sentences challenge. :)
  6. mrjop2 Force Ghost

star 4
    Yean, I really wanted to capture his emotions more after writing the split up, but I felt like a scene like this would be in the story for the purpose of making it longer. So I decided to do this as a one shot, and just happened to find a table that might just work in getting the emotions across.

Hiccup is finally growing up!

It was definitely not easy to make this response cohesive, and it was one of the reasons why I haven't been able to do this challenge before. I've tried to do the same for Hiccup's Gift, my other HTTYD one shot, but couldn't do it, so I just made it a one shot. I've also tried to do a Rocky response, but time was just an issue.

Thank you! I hope I can find a way to do more in the future.
  7. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm really glad to see you tackle the challenge, mrjop2. :) You've done a great job with it! It's been really fascinating to read one consecutive story with the prompts, especially since I'm used to sentences being more fragmented, jumping all over the timeline.

Poor Hiccup... and I feel bad for Astrid, too! I hope things turn out all right for them, but only you know the answer to that right now. :p

Excellent job! =D=
  8. mrjop2 Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks! I think this new chapter in Trial By Fire gives all the readers something they've been wanting to see happen to Bitwolf for the whole story, and Astrid is in the thick of it.
  9. mrjop2 Force Ghost

star 4
    Thinking about doing another 50 Sentence challenge for HTTYD. Maybe for August, I'll think about it.
Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.