main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Huge Explosion upon Impact with Shockwave

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Deleted_Movie, Sep 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted_Movie

Deleted_Movie Jedi Youngling

Aug 31, 2002
    Hey there...

I'm making a scene in my movie where a huge ball of fire (The Impact like) falls on a citty, makes a huge fiery explosion upon impact and sends a great fire shockwave in all directions...I already filmed the city from a mountain and the scene looks just great and waiting for something to come in and blow it up...The way I tought doing it...is to make the ball of fire fall in the city..and than make a scene in 3ds max where we would see Earth from a space view with a huge Explosion of it..sending a huge Fire shockwave...Any Help if grabdly appreciated..

PixelMagic if you have any ideas..feel free to answer..

2. CarlCampbell

CarlCampbell Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2002
    Seems like a complex scene, be sure to use them particle systems like crazy to rack up all the dust you'll need, and time the building falling down correctly with the shockwave. Remember little details like a hole in the clouds (if there'll be any) where the ball fell through. Add lots of camera shake (noise position) on impact and take a look at Independence Day, Armaggedon and Deep Impact for reference ideas.

Also, you basically presented the scene, so this might be pretty farfetched, so if you want help in specific situations, please list out the points where you'd need help :)

Carl

3. Deleted_Movie

Aug 31, 2002
    Ok..forget the eath sequence..I have no problems with that..
    Where i do tough..is with the space scene...and i have a movie..of the exact thing that i want...but i dont want to take that clip because first of all..I didn't do it..and It needs a heavy load of tweaking...and adjusting to fit with my movie..

I'm uploading it as i write this...I want to do the same thing but with my models, objects lighting etc. And i have no clue how and where to start...I'll poswt in 5 minutes the link for the clip

4. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Ha ha, why did you ask me how to do this? I have no idea. BUT, the funny thing is, I DO have to learn it. Because I have to make a shot very similar to this for my filmmaking class at college. However, mine is only from space. It will look very similar to the asteriod destruction sequence at the beginning of Armageddon. There is a tutorial on how to do this in 3DS Max 4 Effects Magic. Go to your local bookstore and find it. I will be doing it similiar, but with my own style and method of course. I just have to figure out what that method is...ha ha.

5. Deleted_Movie

Aug 31, 2002
    There it..is haha PixelMagic I also need a shot from space..and i was thinking at exactly the same scene as you did at the beggining of Armageddon...this is a litle bit how I want it to look..but I dont know how to do it...

untitled.wmv

Dont mind the qulity i compressed it with Windows movie maker..its the best compressor at the loss of quality.. 180K

God Dam server..it will be up and running between 10 minutes to 24 hours...damn i need to find myself a server

6. CarlCampbell

Jul 28, 2002
    Shame its WMV, one of the worst formats out there... why not post a MOV? Get used to doing that so the "other better half" of the forum members can view it to :D
    Broken link, btw...

Carl

7. Deleted_Movie

Aug 31, 2002
    Oh i forgot....For those of you who have 3ds max..you can find it on you training CD in Tutorials/Obj_Design/mooncomp_tut2.avi

8. CarlCampbell

Jul 28, 2002
    Doh! I thought it'd be something like that... Anyway, I find that animation very mediocre actually, but its a tutorial after all. Why don't you do the tutorial? That way you'll get an idea of what you'll be up against?

Carl

EDIT: Oops. just checked, that tutorial is for camera shake only :p anyway thats one thing outta the way, I'd say its basically lots of particle systems and surface material animation. Pixel'll help ya with the overall planet look, his planet are pweeeetty. He models them himself, btw :D

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.