main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends "Human heritage" (The ancient conflict between the dark side & the light side of the Force)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by AzureAngel2, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I like the Vader like lines that you used in a few places.

Looks like Lucien has gotten a form of revenge on his mother.

I believe in both Nature and Nurture. Some things are part of us and others are trained, allowed, squashed or whatever. It is also what we do with our experiences with home life that help shape us.

2. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    hahaha I hate sand too!! :D

The time of fairy-tales and lullabies is over for me. I want the secrets of faith revealed to me.

It's excellent when children grow up.
    It's also sad to see the loss of innocence.

There are also many mirrors. Alezan must be a very wealthy man.

Ah, mirrors and richness. I forgot about that detail.

Pretending is something that I am good at. I will show nobody my true feelings, especially not with my mother around. She shamelessly watches me from a distance.

All too young. :( And then watch what he grows into.
    That's right - WHAT. :mad:

She does not say Holy Scriptures, just Scrolls. I find this lack of faith disturbing.

Get over it? Not everyone will believe as you?

“It was a shock to me that there were two of you. Only one could be the saviour. What would become of the other?”

THEY WOULD LIVE AND BE SUPPORTIVE OF THEIR TWIN, most likely.

I repeat something that I heard Alezan say to one of the servants who failed him.

I still don't know what that phrase should be....

I don't trust his apology.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Nice post and you should join us at the Trek story

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  4. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I see Lucien's mother as found a way to spark her son's interest. This will make for an 'interesting' relationship.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  5. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005

Hate always answers to hate as we will find out in this update:

@Nyota's Heart

@DarthUncle

@Mando-Man

@Gkilkenny

@Tyranus230

@Shadow_Master_W

@Admiral Volshe

@Cem_Fel/ @Shawnkyr

@Chilla

@Sinrebirth

********************************************************************************

My mother's flogging takes place around dinner and the whole household is required to watch the spectacle. It is said that her blood will keep vengeful spirits away. I doubt that. Her blood lust is strong enough that it could entice entire armies of demons and devils.

The guards bind her to the pole with iron bands. Then they put a leather gag in her mouth that she cannot spit out. Nobody wants her to cry out the names of more dead family members.

Popular superstition is that the soul of a stillborn baby is the worst haunting that there is. They seek a body that they can infiltrate to enter the world again in order to have the chance life that they never got.

The blood sacrifice of my mother is believed to banish Lisiére from our homestead for good. Twelve strokes with a whip. A young, startled servant girl is there to catch the erupting blood and sweat in a bowl.

My mother's eyes widen when she beholds the special whip Alezan carries with him. It is a flagellum from Draconis, used in the past to inflict great pain on our people. Sharp lamb bones are woven into the leather bands. Even I am aware that there will be much pain for her. I almost feel guilty.

“Your honoured father told me that all wickedness is but little to the wickedness of a woman... What else is woman but a foe to friendship, an inescapable punishment, a necessary evil, a natural temptation, a desirable calamity, a domestic danger, a delectable detriment, an evil of nature, painted with fair colours”, Alezan tells her softly. “I did not believe him until I witnessed what you did when Luçien was born.”

My mother snorts at him. There is a slight coating of foam around her lips.

“I do not know what led to your public confession, but I am glad that you admitted your crime. It is a pity that you had to give the child that you lost a name. As a daughter of the grand maître, you know better than anybody else what I have to do, Fleur.”

She nods briskly.

“This will give me no pleasure.”

My mother cocks her head and closes her eyes when Alezan moves his arm behind him.

I feel nothing when the whip comes down on my mother's back and her skin bursts open. My mind has walls around it that do not let her pain in. I try to concentrate on the movements of the leather strips. The lamb bones cause much havoc, though their affect on my mother's mind seem underwhelming.

After a while her knees sag and she is unconscious.

Alezan summons his housekeeper. “Do what must be done with her blood and do it thoroughly.”

The threshold and door posts need to be painted with my mother's blood to keep Lisiére's spirit from entering the homestead at night. I find this to be a silly and useless tradition. It will avail nothing. My sister is neither evil nor restless. She became one with the Force and is a guardian angel.

Alezan frees my mother's hands and carefully places her body over his right shoulder. He addresses the household. “This incident must never be mentioned again. Is that clear?”

********************************************************************************

On the morning of my third birthday, my mother stands in front of my bed when I wake up. She looks much healthier than last night. Her body is wrapped in a travel cloak.

“Congratulations, Luçien.”

I am not sure whether she refers to my birthday or to my revenge on her only yesterday. What happened makes me feel dirty. I never wanted it to be that bloody and painful.

“You are indeed the son that I can be proud of.” Her smile is radiant and her eyes are hazy. “I think it is time to introduce you to your grandfather Châtiment. He cannot wait to meet you in person.”

I feel no betrayal in my mother's thoughts. She really means what she says.

I tentatively reach out for her. She takes my hand and squeezes it lightly. “Wherever we go, whatever we will experience today, remember, no word of it to Alezan.”

I nod my head in a silent promise.

The main quarters of the Brotherhood of Shadows do not lie very far from the homestead. It is a short walk on foot. There are no guards, but they are not necessary. Nobody would dare to walk inside this building with bad intentions. They either have business or are summoned here. In our case it is both.

My grandfather is a full-blood like Alezan. His fur is pitch-black and his eyes are a startling blue. He is unveiled and wears a golden house tunic. As we enter his guest room, he stares at us in silence from his throne-like chair. My mother quickly kneels and I follow her example.

After what seems like an eternity, he stops smoking his water pipe and gets up. He walks around us several times. I cannot read his thoughts; they lie in deep shadows.

“You have failed me many times, wench.” He slaps her turned down face and sends her halfway across the room. She makes no sound of protest when she hits the wall and remains lying against it. She hates her parent as much as she loves him. That is a notion that is very familiar to me.

Strong hands roughly grip me around my ribs and lift me off the floor. “I am glad that you did not fail me this time.”

My grandfather talks about me. I am sure of it.

“You may leave now. Luçien and I have much to speak about. He is the future of our people.”

I do not know where everybody gets this idea from. I am just a small boy.

“Yes, master,” my mother finally raises her head stands as fast as possible, and leaves the room without looking back.

That she calls him ´master´ puzzles me greatly. I am encouraged to call Alezan ´papa´ at every occasion.

“Do you know why you are here, Luçien?”

I shake my head, because this entire meeting is more complicated than I thought.

“A powerful Force user like you is a blessing for our world. There are many who have gone astray. The Holy Scriptures are not obeyed as well as they should be.”

Hearing that makes me sad, but there is not much that I can do about it.

“I understood from Fleur that you enjoy the scriptures.”

I answer with an enthusiastic nod.

A ghost of a smile hovers on the lips of my grandfather. “I can teach you all there is to know about the Holy Scriptures. Do you want me to?”

I have seen what a handshake means between adults. The one that my grandfather gives me is painful and bone crushing. I cry immediately for I don’t expect it.

“Stop crying like a baby, Luçien,” my grandfather shouts at me. “Pain is insignificant next to the power of the Force. A single life means nothing to the existence of our people. You are just dust in the wind, nothing else.”

I cry on.

“I will teach you to better yourself and to be the saviour that we need.”

He hits me harder than he hit my mother before. His signet ring splits my lips.

“I want home,” I sniff.

“Home?” my grandfather sneers. “You have no home from now on. Your mother abandoned you to me when she walked out of that door. I am your destiny.”

As the time wears on and his violence intensifies, I begin to believe him. There is no escape. The moment that I break apart, he begins to tell me a story. I try to focus solely on the words, to drive out the pain.

“A long time ago, before I was even born, the mighty Force witches of Draconis ruled my people. They forced them to kill thousands of Elves, almost wiping them out. When the witches found no more use in their loyal soldiers, they forced the men and their families on a large trader and dropped them into the burning desert sand of Sapuhru.”

My grandfather's whip makes drives the words into the depths of my mind, forever.

“Survival was not easy, but the divine Sodalith and her daughter Calme had an idea. They wrote down the holy laws and passed them on to Gorge, who saw those rules executed and followed. As time passed, Gorge had many followers. He was a good, righteous man who despised Force witches and people who did not act according to the Holy Scriptures. In the many generations to follow, the Brotherhood of Shadows brought peace and order to the realm. We still do.”

(To be continued!)

6. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Lucien is living in barbaric times

AzureAngel2 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Fascinating update Nicole =D= You have created an intricate cultural and family dynamic here, full of contradictions - darkness and light, strength and weakness. Excellent!!! :cool:

DarthUncle and AzureAngel2 like this.
  8. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005

DarthUncle and Nyota's Heart like this.
  9. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Popular superstition is that the soul of a stillborn baby is the worst haunting that there is. They seek a body that they can infiltrate to enter the world again in order to have the chance life that they never got.

I can understand why they believe that

“I do not know what led to your public confession, but I am glad that you admitted your crime. It is a pity that you had to give the child that you lost a name.

First, I know he's not the only one.
    Second, why is it a pity?

Alezan frees my mother's hands and carefully places her body over his right shoulder. He addresses the household. “This incident must never be mentioned again. Is that clear?”

SIR, YES SIR!

“I think it is time to introduce you to your grandfather Châtiment. He cannot wait to meet you in person.”

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

He is the future of our people.”

I do not know where everybody gets this idea from. I am just a small boy.

Aww, Lucien.

A ghost of a smile hovers on the lips of my grandfather. “I can teach you all there is to know about the Holy Scriptures. Do you want me to?”

SAY NO! DO IT!

Or not. :(

“Home?” my grandfather sneers. “You have no home from now on. Your mother abandoned you to me when she walked out of that door. I am your destiny.”

:_|

DarthUncle and Nyota's Heart like this.
  10. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Yeah, there are lots of contradictions in their thinking and there might be blood to pay when everyone learns what Fluer did.

Maybe it was already said but I am reminded of "Dune".

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    So was/am I =D= =D=

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  12. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Fantastic update, Nicole! You really have created a world here.

Nyota's Heart and AzureAngel2 like this.
  13. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    compare that to what others think of her and remember: just because someone strongly believes something, that doesn't make it the truth, nor does it justify hurting others, or themselves, over it Lucien. Yeah, no, don't think lucien will make that choice before harming others no.

glad to see you made it there today :)
    I recognize several lines you used, but only because they are so familiar, you have used them and your skills well to make this fiction come to life.

I can clearly see aspects of dune too, though as you know I found the later books, and dune prequels even more , frustrating to read because there it was clear pople were flawed and were going to make the wrong decision for only somewhat understandable (well dune prequels sometimes only bc. they needed to end up at dune ..) reasons, but here you make it work for me in the way you show it from Luciens point of view, and take the time to develop him. Still very frustrating, but in a (to me more) compelling way.

14. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @SWpants, Lady_Misty, Nyota's Heart, DarthUncle

Yes, Frank Herbert did indeed inspire me here. And so did the prequels that his son Brian & Kevin J. Anderson wrote together. But I also love to watch historical documentations and animal ones. Put that together with my concern about people who have a fanatic view on religion, et voilá, you have a rather intense story. Sith lords and dark jedi knight somehow erected a religion by following the dark.

@Hazel, thanks for loving my plot and the three worlds that came to live die to it: Sapuhru, Amnion and, most of all, Draconis. @};-

Anyway, due to my Dutch husband visiting me here in Germany at present, I update right now, instead of Friday. There are places to see in the weekend, people to visit together:

@SWpants

@Nyota's Heart

@DarthUncle

@earlybird-obi-wan

@Lady_Misty

@Hazel

@Mando-Man

@Gkilkenny

@Tyranus230

@Shadow_Master_W

@Admiral Volshe

@Cem_Fel/ @Shawnkyr

@Chilla

@Sinrebirth

When my mother comes to pick me up many hours later, she has fresh clothing for me. Her look is concerned, but she withholds the impulse to gather me into her arms. I hate this family’s aversion to physical comfort.

I am lying on the floor, rolled into a ball. My skin is a surface of bruises and cuts. I do not care that I am naked. Or that I wet myself continuously. More than once, I have called out to Lisiére. Angels are supposed to save people in need, especially children. I am upset that she has not.

“That was not part of our deal,” my mother howls. “You just wanted to give him a brief introduction to his training that is to come. This is already too much. I cannot sanction that.”

My grandfather stays in control of the situation. “That silly boy does not understand the concept of pain yet, nor its glory, its meaning in life. You did better than him at his age, my daughter.”

Through my misery, I detect a new tenderness in my grandfather. It is reserved for my mother only. He thinks that I am unworthy of becoming a true defender of faith.

“The blood-letting at prayer time is inevitable,” he explains. “Luçien has to learn that. How can he ever deal with a Force witch when he can not even tolerate being flogged and beaten?”

“You demand too much from him. He is only three.”

“You dare to defy me?” Grandfather calls out, affronted.

The same whip that has turned me into a miserable heap of flesh lashes and fastens around her throat.

I cannot accept that. She is my mother. Even though I do not love her as much as I should, I do not want her to die.

My anger and pain gives me the strength to stand up. Some sort of light hits my grandfather's hand over and over again. Instead of crying out, he laughs, even though his leather glove melts into his hand.

Au contraire, Fleur. I kindled his potential.” Even though his eyes speak of unbelievable pain, he smiles brightly. “You are indeed as powerful as I have foreseen. Finally, I can be proud of you.”

His unprecedented reaction makes me stop firing off my fire bolts. My breath is heavy and I step back in confusion when my grandfather drops to his knees.

“Unlearn what you think you know,” he breathes. “There is a wisdom waiting for you that you have only begun to grasp. Something that is much bigger than you are, Luçien.”

Right now I feel smaller than ever.

“You are dismissed for today,” my grandfather says. “Bring him back in three years, Fleur.”

15. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Sounds like he is being trained in the ways of the Dark Side.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wow!!! :eek: What intense and blazing emotions Lucien is feeling and unleashing [face_worried] And he is learning very interesting lessons as to what brings approval from the powerful beings in his culture and family. [face_thinking]

~~~~ Have a terrific time Azure this weekend. [face_dancing] ;)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  17. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Poor Lucien, having darksiders as his family

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  18. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    I did a lot of research for this fanfic, in other great fanfics here in the JC, but also in Wookiepedia, Lady_Misty. Of course the fate of child soldiers world-wide also flew into this and the harsh upbringing of young ones throughout the ages. Name it: Sparta, Victorian England.

This story was already written and corrected by a brilliant SWpants for more than a year, when a big scandal shook Germany. It was about a sect in Bavaria abusing infants in the Name of Faith. That made me very sad. And these days there is a new movie about child cadets, lead by a military man played by Harrison Ford.

Ewok Poet and Nyota's Heart like this.
  19. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Ender's Game; I read that years ago and all the audio books that I have looked at the narrator has as much emotion as Data or Spock. Computers that speak for those that can't have more warmth and emotion.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  20. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    And so Lucien begins his plunder into the dark side...

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  21. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Hm. You began where the last section ended...

My grandfather's whip makes drives the words into the depths of my mind, forever.

I hate him.

Her look is concerned, but she withholds the impulse to gather me into her arms. I hate this family’s aversion to physical comfort.

I want to say she's faking it. But she's not a good mother anyway.

“The blood-letting at prayer time is inevitable,” he explains. “Luçien has to learn that. How can he ever deal with a Force witch when he can not even tolerate being flogged and beaten?”

He shouldn't have to?
    Stupid stupid man

Right now I feel smaller than ever.

I don't blame him :(

22. Tyranus230

Tyranus230 Jedi Master star 7

Feb 16, 2005
    Good updates!

Lucien should go on a walk in the forest and gather mushrooms for a stew. :p

AzureAngel2 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  23. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005

* runs on socks through a dark flat & does NOT answer her door bell.

Perhaps I "could" have bought some sweets, but I am NOT answering the bell to hoards of little monsters. 4x in so far. I thought the Huns were outside! In the neighbourhood they use fire works on letter boxes!!!

If "Hannibal" would not be on TV, I would hit town stay in there until we can call it a Halloween night.

And yes, one can cook by the light of a single candle! I wonder if I can bake a cake in the dark! Hum, I also could sneak into the kitchen with my laptop and use that as a light source!

Anyway, here my special Halloween update. I will not update tomorrow though. Just tonight. The title is fitting:

Chapter 3: The blood of the martyr

They have their own Force healers at the main quarters. What my grandfather Châtiment did to me will leave no marks – on the outside anyway. But inside, I feel incredibly hollow.

My mother is dressing me in clean clothes when a servant comes in, fearful and shaking. “His Lordship asks for you, milady. He stands right outside the premises and has brought his entire ducal guard with him.”

The thought of Alezan sends a warm feeling through my body, but it causes my mother to panic.

“This can't be,” she shrieks. “Alezan would never...”

“You better go outside to meet up with him, milady. He has threatened to come in otherwise. For you, but mostly for his beloved son.”

I am at the door before anybody can hold me back. Although I am only dressed in my pants and am barefoot, I run through the underground corridors.

I can feel Alezan's familiar signature. He is not strong in the Force, but he exists in it like all the other beings on this planet. Even blinded I could find him.

When he sees me, Alezan kneels into the dust of the street. It is a much needed public display of love for me. I bury deep in his open embrace and he wraps his cloak around me. “I had no idea,” he confesses to me. “When I did not find you in your bed this morning I feared the worst.”

“But I am fine,” I lie, hoping that olive soap can cover up all the ordeals that lie behind me. “We just went to see Grandfather. He had a present for me. Where is your present?”

Alezan shoves me away from him and studies my face. “At the homestead. I will give it to you when I return tomorrow morning.”

“Where are you going?” I can feel a strong urge inside him that has nothing to do with me or my mother. He is on a mission.

“Doing my duties,” he answers.

“Can I come along?” I beg.

“I really do not think this is...”

My begging expression intensifies. I want to get away from my mother, who has just arrived behind us, out of breath. Uncertainty ails her. I will not expose her, but I do not wish her to be around me.

Not much later, I find myself clad in thick travel clothing. I am sitting on Sanguinaire, a fierce eopie stallion trained for combat. Around me are the best warriors of the ducal household. And behind me, his right arm wrapped around my waist, Alezan himself. He speaks to me in a low voice.

“No matter what happens, stay at my side, my son. We must ride into battle tonight. Marquise Chaleur Riwalan still refuses to pay her taxes to me, claiming that the desert does not belong to anybody but herself. To emphasise her words, she sent me the head of my messenger.”

I nod to myself. Alezan is the duke and must be obeyed. Otherwise peace and order are in danger.

“You will see things that might disturb you,” continues Alezan carefully, and searches for appropriate words.

After having met my grandfather Châtiment, I am sure that nothing ever can disturb me again.

“War costs lives, Luçien. Some are guilty but others are innocent. I must set an example tonight. The Marquise showed me that talking to her is pointless. Beheading my messenger was inappropriate and something I will not tolerate from anyone, despite the fact that she is an excellent sword woman. I fear I have to kill her entire family while she watches, and take her prisoner before she can end her life.”

That makes sense to me. In the serail, there were also rules to the games that we children play. The winner takes it all, but never another’s life. In fact, our rules are there to prevent just that. When I am grown I want to create rules that demand peace and order.

“You never saw somebody dying, my son. It can be a rather disturbing sight. You still can stay at home and wait for me.”

My fingers close around his arm. “I need to be here.”

“I am pleased that you are so eager to understand the art of war.” A wave of pride floods through Alezan. “That deserves a reward. You can claim anything that you like tonight.”

“Anything?” I wonder. There is something that I hope for very much. Perhaps dreams can come true after all. I still want to dream. I still want to believe after what happened to me today.

“Anything you desire,” he reassures me. “Whatever pleases your eyes or you find interesting enough to possess. You have but to ask and it will be yours.”

I try to be hopeful.

The attack is nothing like I expect. Because of me, Alezan cannot take the lead as often as he would normally do. I see that my company is a burden and I feel ashamed of asking for it.

The tribe of Marquise Chaleur Riwalan fights back bitterly. Limbs are severed and heads roll through the desert sand. I try not to get sick.

It is mostly the females who are the masters of the swords. But even their deadly efficiency cannot compare with the skills and strength of our men. They are all members of the Brotherhood of Shadows, the mortal combat division.

Suddenly I sense somebody in the Force. Her desperation affects me before I see her with my own eyes. It is a little girl, barely two-years-old. She runs away from one of our warriors, who is hacking with his scimitar at the air around her. Each time he misses her by inches.

I think of Lisiére and my heart cramps. “Papa?” I yelp.

“Oui, Luçien?” he answers from very far away, his gaze fixed on the battle field below.

“I know what I want,” I state.

“Really?” Alezan muses. “So what birthday present is it that you wish for? That bantha calf over there? Or the little eopie cow by the main tent?”

“I want that one,” I say and point towards the girl.

The fire of hesitation burns bright in Alezan. “I was thinking about something more...”

“You promised!” I interrupt him, seeing that the girl is in severe trouble. She is tiring quickly.

“That I did,” he mutters. “I should have been more precise with you.”

Sanguinaire's massive eopie body moves quick when Alezan steers him down the dune we are standing on. The stallion rushes between our man and his prey. “Hold!” orders Alezan. “Leave that one alive!”

The girl stands still in fright.

I jump out of the saddle before Alezan can stop me. “Do you want to live?” I ask her.

She looks at me with wide eyes.

“Do you want to live?” I repeat.

Then she nods.

“Take my hand,” I suggest.

The very moment she reaches out for me, I pull her into my embrace. She starts fighting, but I will not let her go. It is not safe outside my arms and I try to mentally tell her that.

“Aren’t you a bit too young for bridal kidnapping, little Vicomte?” the warrior chuckles. Alezan glares at him, and his laughter chokes immediately.

“It is my son's birthday and I promised him that he can have everything that he yearns for. I always keep my promises, Reneé.”

The man bows. “Certainly, milord. It is just that this is Isabeau Riwalan, her daughter.”

“The daughter of the Marquise.” Alezan considers this news.

I clutch the girl closer to my chest. There are frightening images in his head that show he means to kill her. The look that he gives me is sorrowful.

“Don't!” I whimper. “No more pain. Please.”

His look softens. “I am in a generous mood tonight,” he says slowly. “She may keep her life.”

“As you wish, milord.” The warrior is surprised, but he respects Alezan's decision.

“Luçien, keep your new sister warm and keep her safe.” He hops off Sanguinaire's back. “Reneé, stay here with my children. It is time to go for the lioness herself.”

“Little Vicomte, please come closer to me,” the warrior says gently, while Alezan runs off, drawing his scimitar. “If you stay between me and Sanguinaire, no harm will come to you.”

The girl shivers in my arms. “Shush, Isabeau, all will be well.”

“Matin is dead,” she sniffs. “My brother.”

I sense in her very open memories that she speaks of her twin. Of course. The Marquise had twins not unlike my own mother. My prayers are answered. I paid with my own blood earlier, and the She-Moon has shown mercy.

“I also lost a sister,” I whisper into her dense hair. She remains silent. “You know, I can be your elder brother.”

Maman would not like that,” she protests weakly.

The piercing scream of a woman echoes through the nomad camp, followed by the victorious roar of Alezan. The men around me start to hoot and jeer.

I begin to mentally see disturbing images. Something bad is happening to Isabeau's mother. Something that Alezan does to her in front of all the gathered warriors. From their reaction, I gather that it must be part of traditional war making. I do not understand it, so I shut the images out and concentrate on my new sister.

“I am here for you,” I tell Isabeau.

She looks up to me with her tear-streaked face and I wish nothing more in the universe than for those tears to stop falling.

I take her small head between my palms. If I only could make all the horrible pictures inside her vanish. My finger start to massage her temples.

“They took papa's head,” she whispers. “Can I have it back? Perhaps it grows on again.”

Isabeau should not remember what happened here tonight. I want her to live a blissful life.

My Force gift unfolds all by itself. I had not known of the power I had until it was already racing through Isabeau's brain. Her eyes roll back and she begins vomiting. I feel guilty; my good intentions have gone wrong yet again.

The warrior has not paid full attention to what has just occurred between the two of us. He just sees her throwing up. “Sacre bleu, damaged goods.”

“This is my sister,” I remind him coldly.

“I beg Your pardon, little Vicomte.”

He helps me to clean Isabeau and then myself. We are just finishing when Alezan comes back, radiating grim satisfaction. An unconscious woman is carried behind him on a stretcher. For some reason, she is barely dressed. A blanket is unceremoniously tossed over her twisted limbs.

“Luçien,” Alezan calls out to me. “I think we should visit the House of Healing before sunset. Minou needs to be introduced to my new wife. And your new sister, of course.”

That seems like a wonderful idea to me. I hope that Minou can explain what I did wrong with Isabeau's head. I want her to heal and to have a happy life. There must be a way.

(To be continued!)

@SWpants

@Nyota's Heart

@DarthUncle

@earlybird-obi-wan

@Lady_Misty

@Hazel

@Mando-Man

@Gkilkenny

@Tyranus230

@Shadow_Master_W

@Admiral Volshe

@Cem_Fel/ @Shawnkyr

@Chilla

@Sinrebirth

Ewok Poet and SHADOW_MASTER_W like this.
  24. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    To have witnessed something at such a young age . . . had to be horrible. :(

At least he saved her.

I am guessing that Isabeau's mother was raped. (

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  25. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    It is terrible what he had witnessed, even though it is part of his culture. (And his culture is a merge of things that I learned during history lessons at grammar school.)

To Lucien´s defense: he is sweet with most women in his life, unless it is about witch hunting. Then he can be merciless. As Gri found out!

Lady_Misty likes this.