main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Human origins in the Star Wars EU

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Brenapp, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    George Lucas found a box containing historical records of the Star Wars galaxy in in front of his house and decided to make a film adaption.
    All movies, video games, audio dramas, novels, comics, role-playing sources etc. are just adaptions. Luke Skywalker and Han Solo looked as much like Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford as every other real person looks like the actor portraying him or her in a movie.

Lord of the Rings too is about real history. It happened over 6000 years ago. The books are just a record of those ancient times and contain some errors, while the movies are just adaptions. In real life, Aragorn, Eowyn and Gandalf looked similar to, but not exactly like Viggo Mortensen, Miranda Otto and Ian McKellen.

Ulicus likes this.
  2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Indeed.

Luke actually looks like this:

[​IMG]

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  4. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Star Wars is obviously supposed to be an alternate universe. The idea of connecting it with our own is against the very purpose of the series, which is to transport us to fantastic yet familiar universe. Thankfully, Alien Exodus was never published. Good story (you could read it online at the author's website, I don't know if that's still true), but it would have turned the Star Wars universe into a Star Trek parallel reality. And what came of that project, the Alien Chronicles trilogy, is noted as taking place in "a far distant universe."

5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I see nobody agrees with me that Star Wars takes place in the same universe as the Freelance Police. :(

6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I'm aware of that Starwars fan 91.Just didn't have time to get into detail with it bud.
    I'm smart enough to realize that.

7. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    It's not in an alternate universe. It's just in a galaxy far far away. Why can't they just be waaay over there and Earth is waaay over here?

8. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    "Waaay" is a very good point actually (I imagine it goes with bulging eyeballs and an accompanying sweeping gesture). The words "a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away" are supposed to immediately signal the fact that we are dealing with folklore-type storytelling. Star Wars, like traditional storytelling, is supposed to occupy a parallel reality where everything is pretty much the same, except trolls and goblins and gnomes and fairies and undines and elves and whatnot come out when we go to sleep. Tolkien started his fiction writing that way too, but in his case, the loving father cooking up fairytales for his children was eventually consumed by the fussy professor, so that everything was rationalized. When we read or listen to a story that starts with "once upon a time, in a land," our response isn't supposed to be "this is totally 12th century Thuringia in the time of troubles of the Landgraviate," it's supposed to be "this is familiar yet unattached to anything I know." If any concrete connection exists between the Star Wars universe and our own, the whole fairy tale thing is compromised. It's like ending a fairy tale with, "the Valiant Little Tailor went out of business with the advent of mass produced ready to wear clothing, and died in poverty in 1954." You have to end with "and they lived happily ever after."

Of course, in answer to your question, Max Tegmark's theory of universes being parallel as a result of their being "far, far away" is something else to ponder. (Read more here: http://space.mit.edu/home/tegmark/PDF/multiverse_sciam.pdf)

9. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    Would it hurt for a SW story to have a character speak with a Celestial/Architect, who drops a hint about his race having taken the earliest ancestors of humanity from a planet in a far-off galaxy a few million years ago and seeded them on various worlds in the GFFA? There could be a line like "It was a fairly average world, in and of itself, the third out from its sun, a yellow dwarf." It needn't be anything massive, or pivotal to the storyline.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It would tend to make it closer to "a long time in the future, in a galaxy far away" though- given that humans have been on Coruscant for tens of thousands of years.

11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Zorrixor likes this.
  12. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff.