main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Human? The Works of Karen Traviss

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Good grammer :p

I just finished it- good read.

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

What can I do? There was a problem with the boards yesterday, taking several minutes to access a page. I think it has something to do with the changing Literature banner every fortnight or so. It's becomming frustrating. I was limited what I could do. :p

3. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Got eighty pages into Crossing the Line until I stopped reading. The characters were too flat and novel too boring to keep reading. I noticed when Traviss does a simple story(Hard Contact) that it preforms way better than her "character study"(Triple Zero, Wess'har Wars) novels.

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Okay, I'll eat my words. I was wrong about Triple Zero's potential excitement. :p

I have that same problem too, Sniper. Was I supposed to care for the colony team in City of Pearl? You only got to know Frankland and the pregnant woman. Reporter Eddie was extremely stereotypical in persona. The learn as you went didn't quite work here. The focus was too narrow. In focusing on the main character, it was hard to care for background filler you didn't get to know.

5. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I'm upping this, as the next Wess'Har book is coming out shortly.

6. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Ker-bump.

7. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Thanks Raven! Next book is out tomorrow!

8. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Finally got my copy - very good thus far. Anyone else have it?

9. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Bumpity.

10. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Thanks Raven - Judge is out now - getting my copy tomorrow!

11. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Anyone reading this?

12. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I haven't read these yet. I liked her republic commando books enough to put these on my list. I will probably get to these around christmas time. Maybe a few months sooner. I have my next 7 books picked out. After those i'm not sure if i'm going to read the geimen books i have and the stephen king books i have laying around or if i'm going to go out and by travis's books. I think i will probably read what i have on hand.

13. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    I've got all the books sitting on my shelf, but I haven't started them yet. They'll be up after I finish what I'm currently reading.

14. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    City of Pearl is up for a free download here: http://www.harpercollinsebooks.com/31F6DD15-7767-4590-BBFA-6FF3968B62D9/10/125/en/eos10?WT.mc_id=REFL_SFBLOG2_COP_062508

15. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    So, apparently she's gotten her paws on Gears of War and their fledgling EU, according to Penny Arcade. I don't like her Star Wars books at all, but her own stuff has been good, and I might give those books a try.

16. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I love her SW books, but I agree, her non-SW works are better. I was a bit disappointed to see that she's doing more tie-ins, when her efforts could easily win her a Hugo award someday.

17. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Karen is able to pump out books pretty quickly though. In addition to the GoW stuff and the further SW things, she is in the process of working on another original book. Depending on how things are balanced I don't see her not being able to write some of her own stuff in between everything else especially since in the SW Action News interview she gave at CC she said she's already done about 15 books in the last 2-3 years.

18. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Yeah - she's got the following:

3 - Gears of War
    2 - Imperial Commando
    1 - Order 66
    1 - Boba Fett novel
    3 - Near future military SF

She's going to be busy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.