main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Humanity's Relationship with Work (aka the Bootstrap Myth)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Vivec, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Absolutely!! [face_coffee]

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    We need to get past the idea that work is only valuable if it produces any immediate profit, or a profit at all.

Rew, Jedi Ben, DANNASUK and 5 others like this.
  3. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    In America ?
    Even over here it's getting more and more market driven , but America has always been much more so .

4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Exactly what’s wrong with us. One thing among a great many.

Pensivia and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    @Jedi Merkurian you just need to run for President. We'll work [face_coffee] into your whole campaign marketing. Or maybe you'd be more comfortable as VP for @anakinfansince1983 However we do it, we need to get you guys to Washington immediately.

Ghost, Sauntaero, Pensivia and 2 others like this.
  6. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Coffee & Wine 2020

Rew, Rogue1-and-a-half, Ghost and 3 others like this.
  7. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    LOL, appreciate the proverbial vote of confidence; but under the current system? Nah.

Actually, on the short list of Baha’i “Thou Shalt Nots,” we’re prohibited from...
    1. Engaging in political partisanship and/or belonging to a political party.
    2. Electioneering (“you should vote for ___”)
    3. Campaigning (“you should vote for me”)

We’re encouraged to vote in “secular” elections, and there are all manner of elected positions within the structure of the Faith. Essentially, Baha’i elections are all massive write-in campaigns :cool:

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What are the rest?

9. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Maybe the AI/robotic revolution will change the narrative, but I'm not sure. I really cannot see a radical shift on our attitude to work until the next century; a natural, organic change in society's thinking, but I cannot see a sudden change without a massive political 'revolution' (not manning the barricades type) driven by a new political philosophy.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    It will be the robots manning the barricades

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Thou shalt use Google and not be a lazy AI.

We're seeing pockets of it here. The fastest growing fin services skillset is risk management, which in 'classical terms' is a cost centre, not a profit centre. My company, which is one of the big four banks, does offer a lot of incentives towards quality of life i.e. career breaks. You want to take a year to go travel, to volunteer for a charity, or nonprofit? We'll hold your role until you return, and backfill with contractors.

The prevailing view here for us in management is that actually, pushing that "be profitable" line is bad for customers, and therefore bad for us long term (because if you mistreat them they will abandon you, etc). So we make sure our staff get to do things that are good qualitatively, not quantiatively. Want to go help out in a school library each month? Done. Want to spend a day helping prepare care packages around holiday time for needy families? Done.

That's just one example. I know from our substantial family interests in construction that the solution to deadlines is more people, not longer hours. It eats into profitability because your admin costs per dollar earned jump up. But you want your workforce to feel like they matter and feel like their life is not their job, so that's just how you do it. LendLease, the Australian construction and infrastructure company that has global reach, gives staff one wellbeing day per quarter. I thought 2 a year here was good...

There's a lot of the Americanised profitw*nk to combat, as it's a powerful indoctrination force. But as this shows, the qualitative benefits are what people look for now:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/linkedin-top-companies-2018-where-australia-wants-work-cayla-dengate/

1. PwC - main perk:
    "Employees are not expected to clock up the usual 12 months of employment before being eligible for parental leave, which is 18 weeks regardless of whether you’re a mum, dad, foster carer or dealing with the tragedy of stillbirth."

2. Commonwealth Bank of Australia (who are rightly being hammered for their customer treatment) - main perk:
    "Commonwealth Bank of Australia identified its staff were not immune to financial pressures despite working for a bank, and so introduced a staff financial wellbeing program. The program helps manage everyday expenses, preparing for unexpected events and making progress against long-term goals. The bank is shooting for a brighter 2018 under incoming CEO Matt Comyn, after facing questions last year over its insurance products (for which it refunded customers $16m) and allegations surrounding money laundering and terror financing"

3. Deloitte - main perk:

"A pilot program for people
    returning to work after parental leave includes training, mentoring and support for 20 weeks. The organisation offers 18 weeks’ paid parental leave regardless of gender, which can be taken flexibly."

4. KPMG - main perk:
    "Wellness is one of this professional services company’s key people priorities. Panels have been conducted nationally where employees, along with doctors and health professionals, share their own journeys, in a bid to normalise mental health. The idea is to discuss issues, debunk the myths and give people hope and real resources to access. All staff are also encouraged to embrace work flexibility, and to ask ‘why not?’ when assessing opportunities like job share, working from home and more."

5. Westpac - main perk:
    "As Australia’s oldest company and first bank celebrated 200 years, it also surpassed population parity for Indigenous employees. Targeted recruitment campaigns and cadetships resulted in 140 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people accepting jobs last year. Westpac aims to offer internships to at least 400 Indigenous university students by 2025. Last year, the bank also achieved gender parity at leadership levels thanks to a talent program and a mandate of 50% women on recruitment shortlists."

I work for a wholly owned subsidiary of Westpac; the gender parity also extends to remuneration.

#7 on the list is my former employer, Macquarie Group:

"A healthy breakfast is waiting for employees each morning at Macquarie Group, a global provider of banking, trading and financial advisory services. Wellness perks include yoga and meditation classes, while parents can tap into resources such as a kids club, school holiday program and access to childcare services. The benefits also extend beyond its staff. Last year, employees chose the causes they cared about and raised $A29.4m for community organisations through the Macquarie Group Foundation.

Employees are encouraged to bring their outside interests to the office. They have created choir groups, gardening collectives, photography clubs and more, while there are also groups dedicated to pride, First Australians and gender equality"

It's not to say all is rosy, though some git will make a "woke", sarcastic response to this. But that the discussion in that LinkedIn article does not mention remuneration or additional benefits (share vestings, bonus', etc) tells a tale of a shift in professional services away from "must make bank!" to "must have some meaning". In part, that's to cater to millennials (which isn't a slight); but it's also recognising that you lose a lot of good people when they miss milestones like, oh I don't know, their kids growing up.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Can I come work for you?

Ender Sai likes this.
  13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    What, and be paid as well as a man as well as four weeks leave a year, wellbeing days, etc? What kind of patriot are you? :p [face_flag]

(also yes)

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    We need people too and UK's half the distance! [face_devil]

Ender Sai likes this.
  15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Well whose fault is that? Kick all the poles out and suddenly there's a skills shortage.

//looks at Boris Johnson

Jedi Ben likes this.
  16. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Only 18 weeks paid maternity/paternity? That's supposed to be an impressive perk? Good grief.