Humans vs. Aliens in the SW Saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by rpeugh, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
  1. rpeugh Force Ghost

star 4
    I am sure a lot of people have noticed that there are more aliens in the PT than in the OT. The two explanations I hear are :
    1. Lucas didnt have the technology to make a lot of aliens in the OT.
    2. The Empire is anti-alien.

I tend to believe the former more than the latter. Also, for the OT, Lucas probably didnt want the audience to get too alienated (no pun intended), which can happen if a film has too many fantasy elements (another reason why people dont like the PT as much as the OT.)TPM has the most aliens b/c it was designed to be more of a kid's movie.

Has there been any confirmation that the
    Empire is anti-alien? I welcome anybody to post evidence of this. Dont be surpised if Lucas digitally turns some of the Imperial officers into an alien species in the rumored Archival Edition. Although there still wont be as many aliens as there are in the PT. I think it would be a good idea to make them into members of the Chiss species (like Admiral Thrawn). This would not look too kiddy like, but at the same time if would give a little more continuity to the PT.
  2. Myaha Jedi Master

star 4
    The Empire even has Concentration Camps for non-humans...

and if you watch ANH where Chewie is called a "thing" from an officer... *g*

maybe you see that the empire is very very anti-alien

(and Thrawn is only tollerated by Palpy cause he's a tactical genius!)
  3. rpeugh Force Ghost

star 4
    Has Lucas himself said that the Empire is anti-alien? I would appreciate it if anyone could post evidence about this. I always assumed that Chewie is called a thing b/c his species was very primitive.
  4. -Jaina- Jedi Knight

star 2
    Actually, I think it's both. :) With the new technology Lucas now has at his disposal, the possibility for new aliens is endless. The OT was just a sneak peek to the aliens we could see!

And the Empire was anti-alien. Coruscant is segregated, they have a district to keep the non-humans in.

The Wookiees on Kashyyk aren't primitive...I don't think the fact the Empire was anti-alien can really be found in the movies, but in the books, evidence abound.
  5. Myaha Jedi Master

star 4
    why do you think there are so many aliens in the Cantina and in Jabba's palace but not a single one in the service of the Empire?

I think Lucas said so also but I'm not sure...
  6. MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling

star 4
    It's really ridiculous that out of the dozens of sentient species in the galaxy, the Empire favors humans. Why? Because the Emporer is human? It really doesn't make much sense...
  7. Myaha Jedi Master

star 4
    why did the Nazi-Germans favored Germans????? exact same question... *g*

for the Empire: because the human species is all-present in this galaxy... Duro and others are quite as common but not so powerfull...

... the glorious Human species and it's Empire...

in the EU humans don't earn much favor for this thing ;)
  8. MacIntoshyStation Jedi Padawan

to me option #1 not so much #2

budget and technology prevented Lucas from using too many aliens in the OT,

And witness: Jawas and Sandpeople = easy costumes to _imply_ alien psyiogonomy, but still cheap.

Now tech has flipped it around. Create one CGI Gungin and you can have millions more almost free.
  9. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    I would have to agree with the second.

As stated before, there is plenty of evidence of this in the EU, but not much, if any, in the movies.

The best evidence I see in the movies is the fact that all people of importance in the Empire are human.

The way I see it, explanation #1 is more of a "real world" explanation as to why there are not that many aliens in the OT as compared to the PT.

Explanation #2 makes the Empire even more evil, and is a great explanation for why there is a lack of aliens in the Empire.

Latre! :D
  10. Glockenspiel Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think the aliens are a double edged sword pretty much like the Ents in Two Towers. They're interesting but in the long run nothing more but for show which too much of can overshadow the 'human element'. Like TTT is about is about humans and reading you go "hey I can almost believe this happened well there's nothing too out of the ordinary...Uh oh, GIANT TALKING TREES WITH PROPER ETIQUETTE, I spoke to soon. They sort of take away from the would be reality of it all, even though were talking fantasy stuff here.

Star Wars is better when it's about humans or humanly aliens instead of a bunch of background cgi weird looking ILM creations scuttling about going CHOOOGU JEDI FOODO or whatever they say, they're not even given names in the movie you obviously have to go digging through a library of fanfare books and picture guides to find out more info on everything. Some of the aliens add to the story of course like Yoda, Jabba, and Wattu, I'm talking about the beings that don't directly have anything to do with plot.

I don't know maybe

Too many aliens = Star Trek?
    Too many make-up costume dressed aliens = Sci-Fi Channel special presentation?
  11. The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Master

star 4
    EU aside, I think that the Empire is definately Anti-Alien. The Empire is modelled roughly on the Nazi's, evendown to the uniforms worn. As said before an Imperial calls Chewie a 'thing' ( I always assumed that it was because he didn't know what race Chewie was). I think the Rebellion didn't have Aliens for ANH & ESB because the technology or the money wasn't there.
  12. Vanthorne_OX Jedi Knight

star 3
    I've always felt that ANH set it up so that you could easily infer the Empire did not like aliens.

The troopers slaughter Jawas and Sand People just to make it look like they didn't do it.

The way they walk about Mos Eisley, especially in the Cantina. It seems the troopers have been trained to think they are better than all the scum of Mos Eisley which contains a lot of aliens.

They will get help from alien informants (Docking Bay 94) but give back no thanks or anything like that, it's strictly business.

And the best hint is the Imperial's tone of voice when he asks Luke and Han where they are taking this thing?

rpeugh, it's interesting that you think aliens may be shown on the Empire's side in the archival editions. Since hearing about the final editions, I've wondered if aliens will be added into the background in hangers and such on Yavin and Hoth. And not neccesarily just Mon Calamari or Sullustans (or prune face aliens that give the Emperor a run for his money). Although I don't agree with adding aliens to the Empire's forces because as I said, I think ANH sufficiently gives you that idea that the Empire and aliens work together only when it's beneficial to the Empire.
  13. The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Master

star 4
    I hope we don't see any Aliens added to the Imperials. It would make the Empire seem less evil.
  14. rpeugh Force Ghost

star 4
    BUt, If you added just the Chisss species, and no other species to the Empire, I think the Empire would look just as evil, b/c chisss species look very evil with their red eyes.
  15. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    I would definitely add aliens to the rebel forces in ANH and TESB, but that´s up to Lucas. It can always be explained why there aren´t any alien rebels there.
  16. Darth_Shade Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Adding alien rebels as has been said previously makes sense and on the subject of the Empire Lucas should only 1 or 2 chiss if any because they are mainly in the Unknown Regions.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.