main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Humans: Who/What/When/Where/How

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Zedd-Vega, Mar 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zedd-Vega

Zedd-Vega Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 2003
    Currently, my recent projects I've tried to work on have been terrible and failed miserably.

Now, I had an idea of having a group of heroes who were all human, but were from different cultural backgrounds (Like Echani, Mandalorian, etc)

Can someone give me a list of humans from different cultures in Star Wars or anything that might help?

Thanks!

~ZV

2. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Alderaanian and Corellian are two of the more central human cultures in the GFFA. Naboo, too. (And yes, Naboo did survive all the way through ROTJ--check out the DVD edition of ROTJ)

3. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    I have the character index and I'll look through it to see what other plants humans are from.

I know there are definitely more the Corellians, Alderiaans, & Nubians.

4. Kettch_the_Jedi

Kettch_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 22, 2002
    You could do Dathomirian.

:)

5. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    How about the Mystral women? They're pretty intense. :p

There are also the people from Lorrd, like Face Loran.

Chalactans are almost human, but they've got an interesting spiritual background.

6. Shadowen

Shadowen Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 1999
    A good one:

Wayland. Humans forced to live in relatively primitive settlements with two alien species who are also very different from each other.

7. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Bakuran, Kuati, and don't forget Crseih, where that ever famous Crystal Star was. ;)

8. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    Thyferra (the bacta people)
    Contruum (where the Crackens are from)
    Coruscant
    Taanab (where Janson comes from)
    Onderon (Beast Riders)

Could look at the planet listing in the CUSWE.

9. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Alright, I'm going the the character index and these are plants I've found humans are from.
    Msst
    Chad
    Bakura
    Koros Major
    Commenor
    Hapes
    Sulon
    Almania
    Pantolomin (That's where the index says Face is from)
    Chandrila
    Axxila
    Kuat
    Eraidu
    Fondor

10. NenYim

NenYim Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    I hope I haven't repeated any:
    Tatooine
    Bastion
    Deyer
    Kessel...or...not... :D
    Bortras
    Concord Dawn
    Ansion
    Ord Mantell
    Serenno

11. CommanderConrad

CommanderConrad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2003
    I believe the Chiss are human too (just a very evolved form.)

12. Uldir_Fenn

Uldir_Fenn Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2004
    Humans are also easy to place on original planets that you create.

13. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    I didn't think the Chiss were human... which was why Thrawn's promotion was a private deal, because he was a non-human, though he was humanoid.

14. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Nah, Chiss aren't human. During my semiannual reread of Heir to the Empire the other day, it specifically mentioned that Thrawn was the only non-human Grand Admiral--ever.

Anyone mentioned Bakura?

15. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Bespin, Yavin 4 on occassion, Ennth, New Alderaan, most inhabited Hapan worlds, Cinnagar, the worlds that Teta conquered, Ossus, Muunilist, Yaga Minor (if that's a planet), Anison
    Don't know who said Dathomir, but I think the term is Dathomiri.
    Well you people named just about every planet there is to be named.

16. lurker2209

lurker2209 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2005
    To be honest, Humans seem to be to the GFFA what Caucasians are to much of our world. And please, take this in an anthropological sense, not as any sort of racial inditement. There are certain colonial parallels, slavery and Jim Crow in the US compare to some of the Empire's Anti-Alien policies etc. Which means that as authors, we can frequently model human-alien relations on the various ethnic, racial and religious tensions here on earth.

Practically in terms of planetary origins, humans are colonists on every world they live in. The planet the human species originated on is unknown (Personally I think it'd be kinda cool if SW borrowed from 60's era classic sci-fi and had the original human planet destoryed by primitive nuclear weapons.) However, humans will seem to 'belong' more on worlds they have occupied for longer periods of time, and worlds on which there is not a native sentient species. (Of all the possible life-supporting worlds in the GFFA, only relatively small percentage developed sentient life-forms). On other worlds, they might be seen as colonists not natives, favorably or not. This can be roughly compared to the way a caucuasian family living in the US is percieved compared to the way a caucasian family living in say China would be percieved. Both families originated somewhere in western Europe, just as Wookiees originated on Kashyyk, but the difference in perception of belonging is clear.

In general, I think any decent spaceport on all but the most obscure planets (and many planets featured in the movies and EU would be very obscure) would have some human population, along with significant populations of other species that often spread throughout the galaxy (Many Neimoidians leave their home planets in search of trade; many Twi'leks are spread throughout the galaxy because they are sold as slaves, etc) This can be an interesting characteristic of species sociology. More reserved, cautious, social species would be less likely to spread far from their home planets; more risk-taking, individualistic species would be more likely to spread throughout the galaxy. (Although forced migrations, such as those caused by slavery could be an excetion) And in SW humans, and particularly protagonists, are typically seen as risk-taking and individualistic. These may be Western biases common to American pop culture, but that's another discussion.

17. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    Sounds reasonable. Changes in culture, language and partially even genetics (different shapes - compare asian people with african people), I think we'll have to consider them.

Which might also evolve into ommunication problems - gesture, language etc. . This might be the theme in a funny story ;) or not so funny, when it comes to communication aboard a starship. :p

18. Zedd-Vega

Zedd-Vega Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 2003
    Wow, thanks a lot everyone!

Now could anyone help with what type of human should play what character? It's mainly all human based (as we now know) so here are the characters:

Sith Lord
    Sith Apprentice
    Jedi Master (Council-Combatant)
    Jedi Master (Combatant-Dies later)
    Jedi Master (Re-Assigned Master-Combatant)
    Jedi Padawan

Bounty Hunter
    Dark Jedi (Sith Lord-like from KOTOR 2)
    Dark Jedi (Sith Assassin-like KOTOR 2)
    Dark Jedi (Sith Marauder-like KOTOR 2)

19. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Caridan humans (I believe Ozzel was one of them)

20. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Sith Lord-Someone with a hardened past, someone with a goal, either powerful politician or a scum who's gaining alot of power
    Sith Apprentice-kid with a dark past, perhaps persecuted, perhaps poor or somebody who's really guillible and easily twisted.
    Jedi Padawan-good person with some of the weaknesses that come with lack of experience
    Jedi Masters-they could be just anyone, wise
    Bounty hunters-value money, loyal only to current employer
    Sith assassin-stealthy, had a hard life trying to just survive

Creating OC's shouldn't be very hard.

21. LastOneStanding

LastOneStanding Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    A few other planets that Humans are at least colonists of:

--Brentaal
    --Balmorra

22. ZebulaNebula

ZebulaNebula Jedi Master star 5

Feb 10, 2005
    Anyone ever think about this: If virtually every human settlement is a colony, then the colonists had to come from somewhere. A chart showing that Planet "X" was colonized by people from Planet "Y", which was, in turn colonized by people from Planet "Z". In effect, showing population and cultural trends in the GFFA. For instance, (And I'm totally, 100% BS'ing this, from my personal speculations; I am Not anyone who'd actually know this) Naboo was colonized by Alderaanians looking to create a utopia. Such a chart would be useful in determining rivalries and other ties between worlds. For fanfics of any scope, to know that (And again, I'm making this up from personal speculation, so be warned. If it's actually right, well and good, but if so, I just made a lucky, quasi-educated guess.) the Hapes Cluster was first settled by pirates of Corellian descent, and that nearly all Hapans are largely Corellian in ethnic background, and that until they cut themselves off from Galactic society, Hapes maintained close ties with Corellia. The above information is personal speculation, based upon creative iterpretations of evidence. It is used as an example of the Type of data I'd like to see in a reliable chart. If anyone knows of any out there, please tell me; I'd love it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.