main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Humor and jokes in TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jonipoon, Oct 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Star Wars movies have always been a perfect blend of action, drama, fantasy, sci-fi, romance with tones of both seriousness and humor.

But after seeing the new trailer, I can't say that I'm feeling that much humor coming out of this film. It feels incredibly dark, gritty and serious... as if ****'s about to go down all the time. People are screaming, sweating, looking terrified, looking confused, crying, hugging each other... All of this has me a bit worried.

I might be wrong, and it might just be that the trailer is edited in such a way. But compared to the first and second teaser, this trailer is so much more dark and intense. The first teaser hinted at cute stuff like BB-8, the second teaser has Poe screaming "woooohooo!". However, they were only tiny parts of the overall teasers.

So where's the god damn humor and jokes?

Jedi Dragon D likes this.
  2. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    The best humour in Star Wars isn't from jokes as such, it's throwaway little character moments where the humour comes from the situation. As you say, there have been hints of humour/levity in the teasers; BB-8, Poe's whooping. I know people want something to moan about, but let's not assume there's a lack of humour, eh?

3. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    That's what I mean. The character moments are what makes the movies funny, not cheesy oneliners like the ones in Jurassic World.

My point was that from what we've seen in the trailer, our characters doesnt seem to be having those funny character moments. They seem to be in constant pain and despair.

4. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    The trailer went for showing a certain tone. Trying to cram in too much can make a film seem uneven. It's not impossible to do it well, but I'd hold my fears if I were you.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  5. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Since when do SW trailers include one liners from someone not named Jar Jar. They always saved the humor for the film itself.

6. Lord D'arg

Lord D'arg Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    Han Solo is in the film, you can be assured that there will be some humour :)

7. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Yeah. Little bits of situational oddness. A bit of banter. Star Wars fails when it tries to be outright Funny. Then you get two headed Pod Race Announcers.
    You've got BB and you'll still have 3PIO "Oh My!"ing everything. And Han is there. And plenty of weird creatchies.

This trailer is about Ramping up the Stakes. Making you feel like something big and important is happening.

8. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    You want humor? Well it was pretty funny how Finn decided that fighting the new ST villain in the first movie might not be a good idea after all.

Sarge and clinteastwoodbradfield like this.
  9. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
  10. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    I can envision Ray and Finn in the Falcon with everything going haywire and Finn bashing some panels in frustration. I hope (and believe) there will be tasteful humor present. By tasteful i mean the opposite of "This is what i call pod racing".

Revanfan1 and AdamSkywalker like this.
  11. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    What I hope for is that the lightsaber fight was supposed to be negotiations between the resistance and the first order, and then when Finn comes around after being nearly killed, he says "well, the negotiations were VERY short!!!!", winks at the camera, and then goes HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! as the screen irises out and the credits roll.

Revanfan1 and Luke_Skywalker_1 like this.
  12. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    The Dark Tone seems appropriate given the MSWs leaks...where it looks like they trying to cram in episodes 3-4 in one movie.

To be honest with you...Id rather they not get all marvel with the one liners.....yes the comedy is a big part of the success and when kept in check, you get fantastic action adventure movies like IM 1,Avengers and Winter Soldier....but it can really start to detract from some of the seriousness of the situation....especially toward the climax...for me at least.

ESB nailed it and I hope that's the tone they take with the ST.

13. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    Han will have some lines, and I suspect the droids (possibly aliens as well) have goofy moments that make us chuckle, but yeah overall I think this is going to be a bit darker than what we're used to. And it will probably be awesome.

14. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    I specifically stated that I want genuine humor. Not cheesy oneliners. Read my posts again........

You say that ESB nailed it, and that's true. If you rewatch ESB you will realize that its actually the funniest Star Wars film. Even though many call it the darkest film in the OT, it also is the one with the most humor. "And I thought they smelled bad... on the outside".... "Laugh it up, fuzzball!" to name a few. This certainly proves why ESB is so great... it has the perfect blend of seriousness and humor.

Going dark ala Man of Steel isnt gonna help the situation though. Which I feel they're aiming for.

15. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    Maz Kanata shakes her head: "Humans... Odd creatures."
    Chewbacca growls in agreement.

16. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    This is probably a topic that could be visited once we have actually seen the film...no? I get what you are saying though.

17. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    Wasn't there that leak when Finn and Rey were running?

Finn:"We gotta go"
    Rey: "I know how to run fast."

Moments like those.

18. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    There won't be much humor in this movie. The subject matter is different. This movie will be very grim and serious. In a good way.

19. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    In various articles, the levity has been mentioned. It'll be in there.

But the purpose of this trailer is not to show the levity--it's to highlight the drama. Like it or not, the PT felt insubstantial to a lot of people, and I feel the trailer is deliberately cut to indicate that this film is different. It emphasises the differences between the PT and TFA, which I suspect is the reason why PT fans, in particular, feel so disconnected from it.

20. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    I guess this might be considered humor.
    [​IMG]

dekaneas and DaddlerTheDalek like this.
  21. scum&villainy

scum&villainy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 8, 1999
  22. VeryMacabre

VeryMacabre Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 25, 2015
    That's all I ask. Treat the audience like we're mature enough to have seen the rest of the films.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    You want a joke? Here's one: Kylo Ren's life decisions
    :p

24. Good Blaster

Good Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2015
    "Ohhh this is the part when Jar Jar steps in the poopy"

Force Smuggler likes this.
  25. BloodStripe

BloodStripe Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 16, 1999
    " I never should have rescued you!" - Finn, presumably to Poe

Shades of the death Star escapade in ANH. .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.