main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Humor... Return to Sanity(Discussion/Challenge/Index)* Sep 22, *New Topic/Challenge*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Son_of_Nut, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Son_of_Nut

Son_of_Nut Jedi Master

Feb 8, 2006
    Hey there everyone, I was looking over everything and there didn't seem to be anything that was related to humor specifically, no discussion, no challenges... no nothin'. I talked with the mods and they thought a humor thread was a good idea, so here we go.

This thread will be to discuss what in a story makes you laugh, what causes something that is supposed to be humor not be humorous... and anything else that we can come up with to discuss about that most estoric of topics.

Everyone has different tastes, and we will also be discussing this to a degree, and hopefully it will come out with any of the other topics that we go over.

Here's the first topic:

What in a story actually makes you laugh? What causes a story that isn't really supposed to be humorous turn into one that is?

New part of the thread to be added. We will be offereing concrit to those who wish it. Basically post an excerpt in the thread, say up to 1,000 words (no, it doesn't have to be exactly a thousand, but keep it withing a hundred words), and whoever wishes to comment about the fic feel free. Also post it in the thread, as it will be harder to disucuss otherwise.

-A couple of things about concrit, you will recieve a minimum of one, from myself if nothing else.
    -If you take advantage of this too frequently I may send you a PM with a few questions, but as long as it is honest desire to improve your writing it is welcome.
    -Concrit will be given in the thread unless specifically asked not to be, and hopefully will be useful for the discussion topics that we have. If nothing else we can look for what we are currently talking about inside of the excerpt.
    -Please be curteous and constructive, no tearing anyone down.
    -Bear in mind this is constructive criticism and that means that people will be pointing out where they think things could be improved.

With challenges this is welcome as well.

I ask that you wait a couple of days before actually posting a request for concrit.

Another thing that will be done at one point or another are brief workshops, depending on how they fit into the current topic of discussion.

We will have a challenge when I am able to come up with one that isn't... too blase.

~Trimaj

Yes, there is going to be an index, and here is how it will work:
    Fill in the following questions and send them in a pm to [b]Son_of_Nut[/b].

[b]Author: [/b]
    [b]Title: [/b]
    [b]URL: [/b] http://example.com (no, this does NOT work[face_tongue] )
    [b]Timeframe: [/b]
    [b]Characters: [/b]
    [b]Summary: [/b]
    [b]Status: [/b]WIP/ Finished

I will then add the stories to the monthly index. There will be one index post for each month, that I hope to update weekly. Links to each month will be provided in this post.
    Please put 'Story for the index' as subject, so we can keep the pm's in some kind of order and nobody gets lost. (Yes, I'm really worried about that.)

-MsLanna

[hr]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=24005727&brd=10304&start=24061759]Index of June[/link]
    [hr]

The Master Index Starts [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/24005727/p2]Here[/link]

Also, feel free to submit things for an author, if you read it. Just ask if it's ok with the author first.

One stipulation for the Index, the submissions primary purpose needs to be humor, not just as an aside.

[hr]

Links to Challenges:

(Links to responses are found in the same post as the challenge)

First: Lower down this page: Rewrite the scene on Mustafar...

Second: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/24005727/p2/?46]Can be found near the bottom of this page:[/link] From the POV of an Inanimate Object

Third: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=24005727&brd=10304&start=24210713]Near Bottome of this page[/link] Rewrite a scene, nearly identical, but have strange thoguhts...

2. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Ack!:eek:
    just what I was talking with oqi about. You beat me to it, i was still looking for an old thread to unlock.
    Only that I wanted to add an index because I'm too lazy to go hunting for fics.[face_blush]

3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I've found that my favorite humorous moments in stories have been either in the context of the narrative or in the dialogue itself. It is, of course, possible to have a humorous or farcical plot bunny in and of itself, but some of my favorites have been in otherwise non-humorous stories. For example:

1) Ophelia's Spirit Warriors of Angharad:

Obi-Wan gave him a surprised look. Anakin could tell he wanted to tell him to go be a good Padawan and leave the battle planning to the grown-ups, but he couldn't ignore the practicality of the idea. "That . . ." he began, slowly considering, "is not a bad idea." He turned to look at his list of fighters again. "It would be a way to use the fighters who are very poor shots, such as . . ." he scanned the list, "Blind Uwe." There was a rather dispirited pause for a moment as both Jedi contemplated the fact that they even *had* a fighter called "Blind Uwe."

Trying to be helpful, Anakin said, "I think he's only *mostly* blind, Master."

"Well, thank goodness for that," Obi-Wan said. "For a moment I was worried."

2) Mar17swgirl and Darthishtar's To Follow My Destiny, between Han and Leia when they are on opposite sides of the war and potential enemies:

"Hey, sweetheart, wanna see my hydrospanner?"

"Only if it's lodged where the twin suns don't shine."

Both of those stories are focused on much more somber tones, but make us laugh anyway.

4. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Ah, humor. My reason for existence. [face_love] :p

What in a story actually makes you laugh? What causes a story that isn't really supposed to be humorous turn into one that is?

I can find something to laugh about in almost any situation. This isn't always a good thing. :p

But usually in a story, even an intentionally humorous story, it'll be a certain line that just jumps out and makes me laugh because of the context, or because of the way it's worded or something like that.

Example: (from Kudzu & Antilles2001's All In A Day's Work)

That line, I am a diplomatic genius!, cracked me up. The tone, the setting, it's just plain funny.

Great thread, Trimaj! :D

5. pink_saber_girl

pink_saber_girl Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 9, 2005
    I'm a sucker for ironic humor or sarcasm. Physical humor can be funy, if done right, but those two always have me in stitches.

6. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    well, i asked about it around wednesday last week, and finally got around to doing it...

Ish those are great examples, i can't even begin to imagine someone named blind uwe being a soldier... it's just too frightening.

and you're defintely right, the best moments of humor come in something that the purpose isn't to be humorous. it just fits the story, is a little quirky, and catches you completely unexpected. if you have humor being the main purpose it's a lot harder to be caught off guard, which is where humor is at its best.

amidalachick, i'm really glad you like the thread.:D

finding something to laugh at in any situation isn't a bad thing either. it just depends on what you find humorous...

that'd be an accurate description in my book. one line, that taken in context, makes the whole rest of it hilarious. or it can be a set of lines, but i find more one liners than anything else myself.

i don't think there is such a thing as a diplomatic genius... and the character certainly doesn't seem even close.*chuckles*

those are two of my fav types of humor PSG. i'm also a huge sucker for twisted situations, skewed viewpoints, anything in the genre of abbot and costello, and word humor. i also have a very dry sense of humor, which has gotten me into trouble at times...

quick note, i have an idea for a challenge... that could be something of a doozy.

7. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    Humor? I wouldn't know anything about that; I write purely dead-serious fics. [face_plain]

...Okay, back from Bizarro-World. :rolleyes: I put humor in everything. I can't help it. Usually I add the laughs in with the dialogue. However, if it's an all-out actual humor fic, I'll make the situations zany, paint ridiculous characters, and use a fun tone of narration.

I can't really put a finger on what exactly makes something funny. It's a bit like catching lightning with a colander. It's so broad. There are 700 million ways to get a joke. The trick is finding which path to use when, I suppose.

Will there be an index here?

8. Son_of_Nut

Son_of_Nut Jedi Master

Feb 8, 2006
    Alrighty, good to see people around and about. This was RK_Striker_JK_5's, I rather stupidly took the general idea for it.

Having recieved permission to use it, with a couple of adjustments, here we go again.

*CHALLENGE*

Rewrite the scene on Mustifar with Padme and Anakin, only have Padme either one, join Anakin, or turn him away from the path he's chosen.

Here's the catch, you have to replace them with or add a different couple from the GFFA. Pick any ship that you either love or hate, and show how you think Leia would react to Han turning dark... and how she'd stop him.

And show what Obi-wan's reaction to finding two unexpected people there. How can you see one of our favorite Jedi reacting to seeing Qui-gon replacing Anakin, and Padme being whoever you choose? Or even being Padme? I.E. just have fun with this... there's plenty out there to do with it.

I look forward to the responses to this.

Please link your responses to this thread.

Also, there is no time limit on this.

[b]Stories Submitted[/b]

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/24016400/p1/?5]Mustafar Revisited[/link] by BaronCoop
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=24017146&brd=10476]And There's This Cloaked Wannabe...[/link] by Ophelia
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=24021998&brd=10476]Mustafar Revisited Again[/link] by BaronCoop
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/24022805/p1/?0]Odd Couple[/link] by Handmaiden_Rabe
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/beyond_the_saga/b10477/24024854/p1/?3]Dark Lord of the Sith[/link] by Jade_Pilot
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=24032903&brd=10477]Taking Hollywood by Sith[/link] by WyoJedi
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/24076018/p1/?0]Unleashing The 'Humorous' Side[/link] by RX_Sith

[hr]

And to answer the question about the Index, yes we will be having one, we're just not setup for it quite yet. We will have a submital form for those who wish to have a fic submitted to the Index.

~Trimaj

9. Star_Angel

Star_Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2006
    I love humor fics, so I?m defiantly sticking around for this one.

What in a story actually makes you laugh?

Hard to say, I guess it depends on what kind of mood I?m in, but then again, it?s me, I can laugh death right in the eyes;).
    No, but I like different things, but I?m usually that sort of person that can read one crazy line in a fic and laugh my guts out, especially when I?m tired or on a sugar rush.

What causes a story that isn't really supposed to be humorous turn into one that is?

Well, to answerer that one, I can actually speak from my own experience. My first fic ?In the Soul of the Force? might have started out with a little humor but I only expected it to be in the prologue and then things would turn out serious latter, but were I wrong, cuz when I started on my ironic ? humor, I couldn?t stop but I don?t complain, I like it that way.

EDIT: Wonderful challange, I think that I'm going to give it a try, but is this still supposed to have Padmé and Anakin/Vader in it or should it just be anyother couple?

10. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    That's a great challenge. I will definitely do my best to unleash my 'humorous' side.

11. Son_of_Nut

Son_of_Nut Jedi Master

Feb 8, 2006
    it can have anakin(vader)/padme if you want, or you could add in another couple with the guy(or girl) being teamed with anakin. either way you want to do it. the main key is be creative.

EDIT:

made a slight change to the challenge, hoping to clear things up.

~Trimaj

12. Star_Angel

Jan 18, 2006
    Ah, okay now I get it and you just pulled some evil thoughts into my head and I think that I?m going to try, must now pick one of the many ideas that I got, one more crazy then the other.
    Again, wonderful challenge.

13. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    What an... interesting challenge. I was about to put up my own thread for it... Thank you for the heads-up, Trimaj.

14. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    evil thoughts are the best kind star_angel, they make for the best stories i think.

you're welcome striker. i'm going to guess yours would have been a smidge more serious than that one though...

look forward to seeing your response RX.

also, anyone who has a basic idea for a challenge, feel free to PM Son_of_Nut with it and it very well may be used. have challenge idea in the thread title. i may take the idea as stands, or i may change it as i have other ideas. you will also recieve full credit for the challenge idea.

15. WyoJedi

WyoJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 2005
    I love it, I love it, I love it! I will have to jump on board and do this challenge. When I'll have the time I don't know, but I'll find someway to do it!

Cheers,
    Wyo

16. talkingbanana

talkingbanana Jedi Master star 3

Jun 4, 2003
    Oooh, humor discussion. This could be fun. ;)

For me, the funniest lines/entire fics tend to be the ones based on irony or satire. And plays on words. Okay, and one-liners like the ones peppered through Allston's books. Oh, and I can't forget the outright ridiculous, like most of the Dare Challenges I've read (ophelia's "Hell Hath No Fury" comes to mind). I mean, who can't laugh at Palpatine prancing around like Little Red Riding Hood.

Ahem. So that wasn't too specific. I will say this, though: while the funniest things tend to be the outright humor fics, the most memorable, rewarding, and generally awesome bits of humor tend to be the ones sprinkled throughout more serious fics. To me, workable humor in a generally more serious fic says a lot about that author's skill as a writer.

What causes a story that isn't supposed to be humor turn into one?

Oh, goodness gracious. A lack of solid direction, haha. My current fic started with one idea about the structure and developed around that: plot, style, characters, genre were all kind of secondary considerations. It started as a more serious endeavor, but it evolved into a monster that's mostly satire.

Which, y'know, is fun. Satire is one of my favorite things to read, and when writing it, I get to make fun of everything.

The tricky thing with irony and satire, though, is that it's very hit-or-miss because its humor is based on the reader's experience. There's about a million things that can go wrong with that. For example, this current fic is based entirely on the "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" game, and someone who has never at least heard of the game simply isn't going to get it. Likewise, the people who really enjoy Jedi stories probably won't like how much I satirize the Jedi and their philosophy. But my core audience - typically OC writers and pilot fic people - will probably enjoy it.

And as for that challenge - might try the next one. ;) Nothin's coming for this.

17. Star_Angel

Jan 18, 2006
    Oh, I have one more question, sorry that I?m bombing you with them but I don?t want to do anything wrong, but dose this (and all challenges) have a dead line?

18. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    naw, i'm not going to do that. i'll actually try to have a link to every challenge within the thread on the first post so those who want to at a later date can go back and check up on them. I.E. it's an open challenge, whenever you can do it. as well as if you have any other ideas feel free to come back and do them whenever you feel like it.

also, i don't mind the questions in the least Angel.

well, i certainly hope to keep it fun talkingbanana, after all, humor should always be fun i think.

i do like irony and satire, that's for sure. my fav is wordplay, mainly like groucho marx and chico marx did. however, i can't write that to save my life.

trouble with humor is that it isn't specific, that's why it's a point of view thing more than anything else. just knowing what different people on the boards like and enjoy is a treat in and of itself.

the authors skill is definitely shown when humor is woven into an extremely serious fic. it's not so easy to do with viggies. short stories or novellas tend to be about the best length for it i think.

no planning does tend to be the problem with that, but i find that if you plan something extensively it loses its life in a way. and i prefer to just go with the flow in some ways and see what happens, and let things morph as they see fit. after all, the muses are fickle.

those are indeed hard to work with if you're doing it with something that's in your experience, after all, not everyone else can grasp what you've been through. it's a note of the authors quality when they can manage irony and satire well.

no worries about the challenge, it's not like its a requirement to talk here.

19. Son_of_Nut

Son_of_Nut Jedi Master

Feb 8, 2006
    UPDATE:

The first post has been updated, for those who are interested, I have included instructions for concrit/workshop portions of this thread. Thanks for being considerate.

Also, thanks for all who have posted in this thread. I will do my best to make sure things don't grow stale.

20. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    I would like to make a formal apology to RK_Striker_JK_5 for taking his idea for the challenge. I honestly didn't know whose it was because of when I jumped into the social thread, I didn't think and didn't do any digging. It has been removed until said time as I have gained permission to use it. Should this not be the case I will figure out another one.

21. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Ack, challenge cancelled.:eek:
    Well, not that I would have written it, but I thought the idea of putting C-3PO and R2D2 into the maip parts would be pretty hilaroius.

C-3PO: If you do not turn back, I will follow you around lamenting your fall in all six million languages I know.

R2D2 (extends zap-o-matic) bleep, beep!
    Zaps C-3PO

[/silly]
    [face_blush]

22. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Oooooh great idea Tri!

Humor is one of my favortie genres to write. Dialogue always appeals to me. Some of the funniest fics I have read here have to do with putting canon characters in ridiculous situations, but they stay true to character.

A really good example of this is "Hairdressers of the Force" by cdmcc. This is hysterically funny not because Obi and Ani are forced to go undercover as hairdressers so much, but that they stay in character.

Here is an excerpt (with cdmcc's permission, of course);)

From Obi-Wan's Diary

Anakin has started to wear star-shaped sunglasses and beige flares. Should I worry? He almost went for the lightsaber when an old woman complained about her purple rinse. I should have known what was coming when baldy Windu set this whole thing up. I'm struggling with the concept of 'the bob'. I must meditate on this

Although the entire scenario is crazy, Anakin and Obi-Wan respond in character. Brilliant!

23. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Lanna, that was great!

24. BaronCoop

BaronCoop Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2006
    Man, I get here, find out there will be a humor challenge, then search in vain for said challenge, only to find out that there is, in fact, NO challenge. Blast! And here I was hoping to finally figure out how to make people laugh instead of making them cry. Not that my crying methods are exactly subtle. My motto is: "If they aren't crying by the second paragraph, kick em in the $#@@s. That'll get the waterworks going." That motto doesn't translate directly into humor. Hmmmmmmm.

25. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    First off, the challenge is back on. Striker has graciously given me permmission to use it with a couple of adjustments. Lets give him a hand for being so generous.=D==D=

Lanna that was simply hilarious... i'd love to get to see that one written. you really ought to.

thanks Jade_Pilot, i'm glad you like the thread idea.

dialoge is a good way to work humor in, especially through word play if you're the sort who can manage that. the way you brought up is indeed a great way to do so as well. keeping people in character through a ridiculous situation can be downright insane.

BaronCoop, thanks for your interest, and we have the challenge going again.

again, thank's for the interest, and the index will be started at the top of the next page, and linked to the first post. Applications are greatly appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.