main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Humorous Versions Planning Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by study888, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. study888

study888 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 16, 1999
    WARNING: ROTS and AOTC spoilers possibly mentioned here!

Greetings. This is a planning thread for the Star Wars Humorous Versions, which are all on the Fanfic and Archives boards. I am trying to complete them, with help. It is a collaborative work, a round robin, or add on.

When I get some people to help we can work out our ideas here.

I have an idea that Darth Bludgeon comes back, which I already put in, and turns to the good side in ROTS HV.
    Also DARTH CHIN (PALPY) Can never get the clones to kill any Jedi during Order 71. They all survive. The final battle I hope to be a multi-author spectacular and when the whole saga is finishing with ROTJ CONT'D CONT'D I wish the characters to come out of the screen in a theatre ala' Blazing Saddles for a showdown bonnza! And SPACEBALLS, ID4, Top Gun and various other hilarious references to round it out. Plus all the surviving Jedi and the Ewoks sining the Carebears songs.

There is just so much comic potential left for the remaining scenes of the saga and ROTJ HV must be completed last. I would love to hear your ideas. We can make this happen guys, and finish the spoof saga once and for all (following the new JC policies, of course.)

Ideas, anyone?

2. BrentSohlden

BrentSohlden Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2010
    OK, I can not keep silent any longer! No one has posted an ounce of support for anything related to the humorous versionsd save for two new people who just joined. I honestly feel like no one cares about them anymore! They used to be so popular. People were adding to them, making them unique and funny, and people were posting their support for them almost daily, in 1999, 2001, and 2005 approximately. Now in 2010 no one posts on them at all if they are veterans to the boards. I'm not going to say its a conspiracy but I wonder why no one who was there in the olden days responds to them anymore. They have been up for almost two months now and not a single person comments. Could someone explain this to me? I am at a loss for words. I was going to just wait for the usual responses but now I can't hold it in any more. Please just someone tell me they are still reading them. OK, I'll shut up for now.

3. BrentSohlden

Jan 6, 2010
    I am planning on redoing and reposting all the Humorous Versions. But they are not completed, so I am putting out a call for humorous authors who can lend a hand. I want to clean up a lot of the dirty jokes/language and clean up and hedge up the hvs neatly into six hilarious screenplay parodies. But it is not my story. Iis the Jedi Council's. Also, the Clown Wars needs plenty of fresh authors from the woodwork. I know your out there.

4. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Ummmm - rewriting other people's work is HIGHLY frowned on. I for wone would be *you know what 7 ways to high heaven* if someone took it upon themselves to 'clean up' MY works!

So 'dirty jokes and language' isn't your cuppa, and you want to do a new version, then go right ahead! However, editing and rewriting something from the 'classic' era...

Oh hell no!

5. BrentSohlden

Jan 6, 2010
    In the interests of decency and making them compliant with the new rules concerning what is and is not allowed in SW fan fiction, yes this is a good thing. Remember that Purp, when he compiled TPM HV on Geocities, took the same liberties with other people's writings that I am. I am even going to change my own. This is and always has been a shared story, and we have and continue to write over each other all the time. I am taking out the things that keep people of decent tastes from enjoying it: Drug humor (except refeences to cigarretes and alcohol) excessive bad language which makes it unfunny, and excessive3 sexual humor. What in the name of Kriff is wrong with that?

6. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Everything.

Start fresh if you must, but you're trying to change the past - not just for yourself (if you were the sole author, I'd say rewrite it as "Mary had a Little Lamb" for all I would care) but for users long gone.

What's funny is in the eye of the beholder. Blindman's Vader stories are some of the funniest things ever written, and some of the early pieces are rather ribald - but that's how they were written!

I stand by my assertion that if someone decided to 'edit' my stuff in the name of their own brand of 'acceptable humor', I'd be all over that like a tonne of bricks.

7. BrentSohlden

Jan 6, 2010
    To each his own. I'll just agree to disagree here.

8. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Just so you know... From the FF FAQ: (edited for brevity)

Plagiarism is deliberately copying an author's work and claiming it as your own.

On TFN, plagiarism is an extremely serious infraction and will result in a 3-month ban.

b) If you borrow material from another fanfic or profic author, or any real-life material in general (such as song lyrics or poetry), the original creator must be credited.

c) Before borrowing from a fellow fanfic author, please exercise decorum and ask that author's permission first.

We've had this discussion before, when it came to 'unfinished' works - people wanted to take it upon themselves to finish these orphan works. The end consensus was that you HAD to get the author's permission, even if they had long since left the boards.

I'm sorry, but this is a real concern for any author, if the position was reverse and someone decided that your work was too 'innocent' and needed 'spicing up'? I have a feeling you'd be going off the deep end, and rightfully so.

ETA
    As I said: If you wanted to start fresh as an "all new" version, then more power to you, but don't post an edited version of the original and say it's the same thing.

9. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Brent, this isn't a matter of 'agreeing to disagree,' as Breezy has pointed out so helpfully with the FanFic FAQ. We encourage people to formulate their own creative works, but to simply edit the parts that you don't happen to like is disrespectful to the original authors.

As Breezy said, if you want to start your own new version from scratch that is TOS-compliant and fits your definitions of 'good taste' better, that would be within the rules. But without the permission of the original authors, you really shouldn't go around rewriting their stories. It's not a service to them or anyone else. Rather, you should use your creativity and add to the tradition.

If you have any questions about the FAQ, please don't hesitate to contact myself or any of the other mods. :)

10. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Have to agree for purposes of ethics and solidarity. It's just not something that shows respect to the original work or its writers.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. study888

study888 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 16, 1999
    Hey I was wrong and being prideful. I'm starting fresh like you suggested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.