main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Hundreds of senators are under the influence of Darth Sidious"

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ComicDiva, Apr 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ComicDiva

ComicDiva Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2004
    Thus spoke Count Dooku in his scene with Obi Wan in Atack of the Clones.

I am curious. What kind of "influence" are we talking about? Is it that Palpatine had senators in his pocket? Are we talking bribe, black mail, or a form of mental control? Or is it simply the fact that Palpatine was a very charismatic figure and he simply won everybody over?

2. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Dooku was understating the facts, it was thousands.

The point is, it doesnt matter how they were influenced, they are under his control. I imagine each Senator had different weaknesses that Palps exploited. To enumerate how for each, add 2 more hours to the movie. :p

3. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    I agree with voodoopuuduu on this one: the pont really was that Palpatine had control of lots of them.. enough to make them do what he needed..

By the time Order 66 came about, the only thread that Palpatine had was the jedi: he knew he had the senate under control.

4. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    I think he was referring to plain ol manipulation, not any Jedi mind trick, although I'm sure he may have employed that use.

5. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    I would say a little of each...
    mind control, manipulation, blackmail, payments, secrets, deals...

And it can even be taken quite literally, since Sids (palpatine) was the Supreme Chancelor.
    So as Supreme Chance he totally has the Senators under his "influence".

Especially after Jar Jar's bright move to call for emergency powers.
    The whole Galaxy was under his influence by that point

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    He had the senators in the Senate doing what he wanted of them. He got them to hand over Emergency Powers. He got them to give up all kinds of control. He got to declare himself Emperor and created the first galactic empire. He used all kinds of underhanded tricks. From bribes to blackmail to simple ego massaging

7. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    "I...AM...the Senate!"

Case closed.

8. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I think that, like his relationship with Nute Gunray, Sidious knew how to tell his puppets what they wanted to hear. Just look at how he whispers venom to Anakin. Imagine what he was telling those greedy Senators.

9. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    And don't forget the way he worked Padme like a puppet in TPM in order to get elected Chancellor.

10. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    Indeed. Anakin was trained as a Jedi. He was supposed to be selfless and all that other Light side stuff. Yet, it didn't take much to twist him, did it? Imagine the average Senator. "You support me in exchange for say....a nice apartment in 500 Republica?" "Done and Done."

Carnage

11. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Right. It's not really that difficult to understand. Palpatine is a master manipulator, on both the macro and micro levels. He can get thousands of Sentors to give him emergency powers or he could also pick any one off the street, get them to make him coffee and massage his feet (ok, ew), before they'd even realize what they were doing. It even took those closest to him, like Padme, a long time to even become remotely suspicious.

12. voodoopuuduu

Mar 22, 2004
    Right. It's not really that difficult to understand. Palpatine is a master manipulator, on both the macro and micro levels.

Yep, he was great at that. But look at the impatience of the OT Palps. He expected Luke to turn to the dark side on a dime. No smoosing or mind games. Did the Sith lightning also disfigure his brain ??

13. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    His overconfidence was his weakness :p

14. ComicDiva

ComicDiva Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2004
    It must've been obvious to us but not to Obi Wan. He must've been thinking:
    "Well how can a sith influence the Senate in such a way?"

He obviously made no conection with Palpatine.

15. voodoopuuduu

Mar 22, 2004
    It must've been obvious to us but not to Obi Wan. He must've been thinking:
    "Well how can a sith influence the Senate in such a way?"

Only if he believed all Sith are Darth Maul-like, evil looking and mean spirited.

16. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    Just look at how he manipulated the other Senators to elect him Supreme Chancelor as a good example of what he means. He is playing a complex game of mass manipulation in which he uses fear, money, and promise of power in order to achieve his goals.

!snap

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Obi-wan's problem isn't so much that. It's the fact that he has trouble beliving that a Sith Lord would be able to do what Sidious has allegedly done and the Jedi Council not know about it. That's what confuses him and thus causing him to distrust Dooku's claims. It isn't until he and Anakin capture Nute Gunray's holo transciever that's used to talk to Sidious, that they realize Sidious is on Coruscant. And it is Mace who discovers that Dooku is telling the truth, when he finds out that Sidious is hiding among the senators living in 500 Republica. Unfortunately, they don't consider it to be Palpatine. Rather they suspect one of his cabinet of being Sidious.

18. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I think if they followed through on that plotline after the Coruscant battle it would have made things quite interesting.

19. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    His overconfidence is indeed his weakness. He's been near infalliable for over 20 years. So in a sense yes, the Sith have warped his brain. He hasn't been thinking like a normal scheming human, who has to act for his plans to work. He can be his full, evil self. I'm sure, in his head, he has no reason to doubt that Luke would turn so quickly. Like father, like son.

20. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

Anakin was raised in an environment with thousands of Jedi positively reinforcing "Light Side" behavior. To Vader and Palpatine's knowledge, Luke had trained with Obi-Wan for a few days or so. I'm sure Vader offered up an explanation of what occured at Bespin and how Luke came barging in to save his friends. He saw Vader rile him up and Luke go Anakin Vs. Dooku style on his own father. Palpatine probably thought to himself "Far too easy". Past Success + Lack of Jedi Training + Father's tendency to rush into things + Darkside rage on dad should = easy turn.

Carnage

21. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Is there anything Darth Sidious can't do? He has "thousands of senators" under his control??

It just seems like the guy is completely omnipotent. Especially for someone who seemed to spend any time around the Senators. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.