Story [Hunger Games] Firelight - Portia/Cinna, the eve of the 74th Hunger Games

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by karebear214, Oct 9, 2011.

Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl
  1. karebear214 Force Ghost

star 4
    Title: Firelight
    Author: karebear
    Rating: T
    Characters: Portia, Cinna
    Standard Disclaimer (Hunger Games): The Hunger Games trilogy was written by and belongs to the brilliant Suzanne Collins. I'm just borrowing the characters and world for a short while.
    Summary: "Portia and I spent a lot of hours watching fires." It was easy to think everything was fine, before "the tributes" became real kids, sent to die. When did they start paying attention? Portia/Cinna, the eve of the 74th Hunger Games.
    Notes: I am not sure if this is a one-shot. It is for now. I have no plans to add to it, but I already have thoughts about how more of this story could be told.

"When it's time to function as a feeling human being, will your Bachelor of Arts help you get by?"
    "I hope to study further, a few more years or so, I also hope to keep a steady high."
    "Will you try to change things, use the power that you have, the power of a million new ideas?"
    "What is this power you speak of and the need for things to change? I always thought that everything was fine."

- Chicago, "Dialogue"

She sits in front of the giant fireplace in the ridiculously large apartment the Capitol has provided for Cinna, sipping a glass of expensive red wine. In the flickering light of the flames it looks disturbingly like blood.

She has a place of her own, of course, identical to this one, but she is afraid of the nightmares she'll face if she tries to spend the night alone.

These new living quarters are completely unnecessary, of course.

The smaller apartment blocks, the relatively inexpensive housing where students and young adults just starting their lives tend to congregate, where she and Cinna spend the rest of their year, are not that far away from this complex - combination of studios and training gym and prison, launch point for the Games. Those in charge of this event just want them all easy to find.

She never expected it to be this hard, but in just one afternoon, these two children, Peeta Mellark and Katniss Everdeen, have ceased to be "the tributes" and become real, sixteen-year-old kids they are sending off to die for entertainment. Two of many. Twenty-three who will die (Cinna says the girl at least stands a good chance, but she's seen the stats of District 12, and privately she has to admit that he must be lying to himself. And even if he isn't, that's still one of their two that will be dead before the month is over).

And even the victor will be caged by the Capitol for life, required to "celebrate" their survival every six months like clockwork, Victory Tour and annual Games, every year until they do eventually die, of old age or addiction or any number of the lingering mental illnesses that tend to attack the arena's children in the long years after their win.

They'll live alone even in the District they used to call home, because they will have nothing in common with those they used to call friends and family.

Once the Capitol has claimed you, there is no going back.

It may be her first Games, just like Cinna, but she's paid enough attention in recent years. You don't just become a stylist, even for District 12. They've been working odd-jobs as part of the Games all through their art school careers, connections with professors and parents of classmates and every other kind of social networking getting them close enough to run errands for prep teams, getting them invites to the Victory Tour parties. Business cards here and there, practice in front of cameras, interviews, inflating their resumes just enough.

She remembers when this was what she wanted.

But somewhere along the line she saw the hollow haunted look in the victors' eyes as they attempt to coach each new year's sacrifices. She recognizes the fact that the particularly attractive among them slip through the requisite parties and gatherings with a new body on their arm each night, and she sees the way their touches slip away too quickly or cling too tightly, the way they never qui
  2. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    This is lovely!! I like seeing things from Portia's POV. I like that you show her humanity and that she is slowly realizing that this is not okay.

And I also like seeing her and Cinna in a bit of downtime; it's nice.

Wonderful story!!
  3. karebear214 Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks. This was a favorite of mine to write. It was a lot of fun writing these two in downtime. Cinna's a favorite of mine any time, and it was... interesting, realizing that these two are exactly the kind of people I'd hang out with. So it was easy to find their humanity (of course it then saddens me that the downtime doesn't last... because their humanity leads to heroic sacrifice, which is inspiring but... still sad.)
  4. FelsGoddess Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    Once the Capitol has claimed you, there is no going back.
    Sums them up nicely.

Wonderful piece.
  5. Kestrel_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    Have just finished Mockingjay. I fell in love with Cinna's character. So lovely to read this piece after a rather harrowing ending to the 3rd book :( ...Nicely written. Thank you for sharing.

6. karebear214 Force Ghost

star 4
    FelsGoddess: Sums everybody up nicely, unfortunately. :( Thankfully at least we've got a hopeful new world to look forward to.

Kestrel: You're welcome! Thank you for reading and taking the time to leave your response [face_peace]
  7. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    Oh this is awesome. Poor Portia and Cinna. :( I really hope the films do them justice.
Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl