main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hurricaine Charley Report!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Atlanta, GA' started by Sereana_Nightstar, Aug 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sereana_Nightstar

Sereana_Nightstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2002
    Thank you to all for your support to us folks further south...

I know you got belted by Bonnie, but Charley is coming your way and may bring in some nasty weather...so please be safe and take care of yourselves....material things can be replaced...YOU CANNOT!!!

The storm took a quick easterly course shortly before coming on lnad. St. Pete./Clearwater and Tampa are got missed. ( I am still not sure how as this sotrm was pretty big) We got a little rain and some wind!! Our neighbors to the south got hit bad. Charley came in at Sanabel Island, Port Charlotte Harbor and Ft. Meyers area. Lots of damage, flooding and such. So the cleanup has begun and we will be helping our neighbors get their lives back together.
    Those that evaced to Orlando or Daytona got hit with lost sof rain, some tornados and 90-100 MPH winds. We still have a few FF members that went to Orlando. They were fine just before things hit so we are waiting to here form them in the morning.

Everyone please stay safe as Charley is headed your way.
    Marie Tampa Bay FF
    CR

2. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    Charley didn't do much on the Georgia coast, thank goodness.

I'm glad that you are okay, Marie. And I hope you hear from the rest of your group soon.

3. Jace Darkrider

Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 1998
    My father, little brother and grandparents all live in Ft. Myers. I was pretty freaked out Friday afternoon when I learned the storm had quickly turned and was upgraded to a category 4. I have yet to get a hold of my dad :( , but I did get word that he is okay. Most of the phone lines (land and cellular) down there are dead and they are without power. Seems my grandparents got no damage (they spoke to my aunt who's in Miami this morning). Anyways, I've been spooked most of the weekend. The hospital, which is just down the road from my father, appearantly is now completely destroyed and gone. I guess I'm still a little jittery, since I just want to hear he is okay at least.

My mom lives in Orlando and she is fine. The executive airport was completely trashed. And it seems that many are without power still there. She described the storm as having a freight train right outside her house. Lot's of stuff flying around and heavy rain.

I have many friends in Tampa (some who will be coming for DragonCon, hooray), and I am glad that you guys were all spared.

4. RagingBantha

RagingBantha Jedi Youngling

Feb 11, 2004
    hey ian. My thoughts go out to you and your father. I hope he is ok.

5. RosieWook

RosieWook Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    Glad to hear your dad is okay. Hopefully he's just too busy cleaning up to call, right now.

A good reminder to everyone. Have an out-of-state person to call during a disaster. Usually long-distance service stays up during a disaster because it can be rerouted through other parts of the country.

Of course, if you can't get to an actual phone it makes it a little hard to try! :)

I hope the Florida gang will let us know if there's anything we can do to assist.

6. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    Hope everyone is ok... They say Buffalo has wild weather but no hurricanes! I get my feed from work (I work for SONY) from Ft. Meyers, needless to say it's just now coming back online. They got knocked out, and we were a bunch of bored technicians!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.