main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Legacy Jedi Endordude, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    :( Sorry to hear that silverfighter. Glad you and your family are okay.

2. silverfighter

silverfighter Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 28, 2007
    Why thanks! It's still one of those surreal "I can't believe this actually happened here" things. I feel so bad for people who lost everything. :(

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Glad you and your family are OK. I've been seeing a lot of damage footage on the news, as well as the gas lines. It's a miracle more people weren't killed.

4. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Not planning on zacparising up this thread. Just stopping by to say hello. :D

DarthTunick likes this.
  5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Beenso!!!!

This means I can cancel VinAid.

6. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    VinAID needs to continue. I got word it will be 10days to 2 weeks without power! Send me electricity and the internets!

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    As a bonus... by the time you get Long Island under control, you will all have to adjust to the horror that the hurricane was also powerful enough to knock an entire hockey franchise into an adjacent burough.

8. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Why's ConEd taking that long?

9. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    LIPA ugh...

10. Count_Drabbu

Count_Drabbu Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 30, 2007
    Seems like only yesterday that the Barclays Center was just some random construction behind a wall of blue plywood. Good times, man, good times.

11. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I just noticed that one of the four way intersections lost all four lights. And as usual, the same trouble spots for trees going down were the same trouble spots again. One would think CL&P would learn and either trim the trees in those areas or bury the lines. And CL&P lied again about how many crews they actually had working. I was a bit disgusted though to hear that eggs were thrown at United Illuminated crews in Bridgeport. It's not the workers at fault. It's their bosses. Save the eggs for their headquarters at least. Into day 4 now and power is slowly getting restored to my town. We're 22% out last I checked the map. That's still just under 2000 homes of course but it's better than the 53% we were yesterday.

All in all we weren't hit nearly as bad as our friends closer to the coast. Still, it continues to get colder here and as the temperature lowers, so does everyone's patience with the power companies.

12. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    What are everybody's thoughts about Mayor Bloomberg saying the NY Marathon would go on as scheduled?

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    He cancelled it now

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Is there a list of names of those killed in this storm? I searched and found nothing.

16. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I'm looking but I can't find anything.

17. silverfighter

silverfighter Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 28, 2007
    For some reason I'm not really surprised, and wouldn't be surprised if it actually develops into something nasty. How lovely. At least with this one I could potentially go for a jog in it without the threat of being arrested or put on the news. :p

18. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Transformers exploded, power stations are flooded and lots of power lines are down. In some case, hundreds of trees on a single street have to be removed just to get a line up. And even once it's on thousands of homes have had their electric switch boxes in their basements completely flooded and they may need to be completely replaced. There is a ton of work to be done to get things up and running.

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Hate to say it, but there were plenty of warnings about the storm. Going sailing that day wasn't the brightest thing they did. Why were they out there, anyway?

22. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    From what I've heard, they were trying to sail from Connecticut to Florida, but they had the misfortune of not paying attention to weather reports.

23. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    The daughter of close friends of my parents lives in Breezy Point, luckily their house didn't burn, but they did have flooding into the ground floor, and have a lot of rebuilding ahead of them. Interestingly, they said that the destruction in Breezy Point and the rest of the Rockaways is nothing compared to the beating the Jersey Shore took. Hope things get better soon for you, silverfighter.

My parents live on the north shore (Douglaston) luckily at the top of a hill, so flooding isn't a problem for them.m They were here visiting, but flew home this morning as scheduled. Apparently the electricity is spotty and there may be a problem with the heating (natural gas) but they figure they can get by with a few electrical space heaters they have. Aren't i a great son, sending them back into a disaster area?!!!

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    From everything I've heard thus far, they were trrying to get to Florida to stay away from/try to beat the storm, since Florida didn't get all that much in terms of wind and rain from Sandy (at least not for the prolonged periods the rest of the East Coast got pounded with it), and as the story stands now, a generator failed and they started taking on water.