main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Legacy Jedi Endordude, Oct 27, 2012.

1. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I live a few minutes away from the coast, but I'm not worried. This ain't my first hurricane, and it won't be my last either..

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    Well, doesn't look like a turn out to sea is likely. Hope everyone fares okay....

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Had a small (3.8 or 3.9) quake a couple of minutes ago, centered just a few miles away from my store (am at work now). :p

4. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I bet the retail store where I work part time will be crazy today. It was yesterday. We're good on supplies, but I'm not expecting too much.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah I'd rather be prepared and have the concerns be overblown than be unprepared and be screwed.

6. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Evacuations among coastal Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan are already starting. Subways and buses are also shutting down.

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah a few roads are closed too, at least in Brooklyn Heights. Dunno about evacuations, though. Probably because I never watch the local news here. :p

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I drove along the Bronx expressway last night while en route home and it was a mess... which, if you're familiar with it as it operates regularly, should let you know how amplified its awfulness was last evening. Everything seems set here as of now. I set up a few of the neighorhood elderly, so they are prepared, hopefully. Now, to go invest in a cache of toilet tissue so that I can be stockpiled when the ****storm portion of this hurricane dumps...

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm good where I am here, but Downtown Norfolk in Va is almost completely flooded.[face_worried]

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well I checked the interwebs and I am not in an evacuation zone. Cool.

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm surprised there were no evacuations called for Sandbridge. It's an area of Virginia Beach that's typically prone to flooding and beach erosion and evacuations were mandatory last year when Irene blew through.

12. TypoCelchu

TypoCelchu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 1, 2005
    I think a lot of states have been caught off guard, probably due to the predictability of the storm. NYC has flip flopped on evacuations over the last few days, for instance.

13. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    I'm guessing that it won't be too bad in Boston, but the MBTA will still mess up my commute for at least two days.

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005

I can definitly believe that.

15. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I hope Morgantown doesn't get hit too hard. I need to find a few more sources for my Longsword research paper.

16. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Well guys and gals, having weathered a few hurricanes in my lifetime all I can tell you northeaster JCC'ers is to batten down the hatches and don't take unnecessary risks. Good luck to you all, and above all, be extra careful.

17. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Lol, there is no bread left in any NYC store. Lots of bottled water, but absolutely no bread. I have a feeling come tomorrow all those people who stocked up on bread so much are gonna realize they're way too over-prepared.

18. TypoCelchu

TypoCelchu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 1, 2005
    Better to be over prepared than under prepared.

19. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Whatever. I'm sure the bread retailers are grinning away at all this preparedness. [face_money_eyes]

20. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    I didn't buy any bread yet. Crap.

21. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Had to get an earlier flight out of Chicago to come back home to DC today since my flight for tomorrow was already cancelled. TypoCelchu and I see that some of our neighbors still haven't cleared off their balconies [face_plain] The apartment complex has asked us to do that for 3 days now.

22. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Norfolk always floods. A normal day of rain can make Norfolk flood.

23. Darthkat76

Darthkat76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Ugh, I'm glad I don't live anymore. I feel for you though. [:D]

24. Darthkat76

Darthkat76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Yay, work orientation and class has been cancelled! I would have had to drive 40 miles to get to Arlington, VA for class if they hadn't cancelled. No way in hell that I'm driving in that mess!

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Alpha-Red likes this.