JCC Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Legacy Jedi Endordude, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    The winds knocked a street sign off. Damn nearly fell on me.
  2. TypoCelchu Force Ghost

star 6
    Ocean City, Maryland has already lost it's historic Pier. The mid-atlantic is expecting a solid blow and significant damage.
  3. tom Chosen One

star 6
    there is at least some flooding on the brooklyn side. my friend just posted this.

[IMG]
  4. Yodaminch Force Ghost

star 5
    Power was out this morning before it really started. Called CL&P and they got it back on. So at least they are on top of things so far. But that was the pregame. The real show hasn't even begun yet.
    Last edited by Yodaminch, Oct 29, 2012
  5. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    Have the retail stores remained open during this?
  6. New_York_Jedi Force Ghost

star 6
    MBTA shut down early today, so half day for me so I wouldn't get stranded at the office. Yay. Hopefully we don't lose power so I can enjoy all the free time.
    Last edited by New_York_Jedi, Oct 29, 2012
  7. Point Given Mod of Literature and Community

Manager
    star 5
    Saw a branch smash a parked car's windshield.
  8. Riven_JTAC Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Penn State - University Park campus announced it was cancelling all classes after 1:10 pm today. This is only the second time in my 8 years at Penn State that I've seen classes canceled. I am sure we'll be off tomorrow and/or Wednesday, as well. I am kinda pissed that class is canceled today because we'll have to make up all this stuff at the end of the semester. There was no need to cancel today. It's been not unlike any other mild autumn rainstorm in central PA today. In fact, it's pretty tame right now and has been all day. Tomorrow and Wednesday will probably be different, but there was no need to cancel today. Just another day we have to make up at the end... probably will push final exams around and cut study days for the law school. Yippee.... As long as my trip to Louisville isn't affected, I don't care *too* much.
  9. RC-1991 Force Ghost

star 4
    So all that has happened so far in Morgantown is a persistent drizzle and a few areas temporarily lost power. With any luck this will be nothing like those summer storms.
  10. darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost

star 5
    Classes were cancelled at the community college I'm going to (Harrisburg Area Community College, Lancaster), for today and tomorrow. Hope they're cancelled Wednesday too. Probably will have to go into work tomorrow.

The wind is picking up here.
  11. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Fox is saying the storm will make landfall in the NJ area in about 6 hours. You can still see an eye on the Fox rainfall display. They also just said the NY Stock Exchange will be closed again tomorrow.
    Last edited by LAJ_FETT, Oct 29, 2012
  12. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    Yeah, school's cancelled tomorrow too, at least some colleges. Dunno about public school.
    Must be on the southern side. Brooklyn Bridge Park is fine so far.
  13. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    Everybody on the East Coast, stay safe and dry! We only have to cope with earthquakes here in California and those don't happen every year, at least not the big ones.
  14. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Fox is showing what looks like a tower crane partially collapsed in Mid-Manhattan (looks like the crane part as opposed to the tower part).
  15. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    Right, Carnegie 57, one of the newest and tallest buildings in the city. I can't see it from where I am because of the thick clouds, so can't comment on the crane.
    Last edited by Todd the Jedi, Oct 29, 2012
  16. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I hope it doesn't collapse any further. When they showed it the crane part was still hanging off the tower platform.
  17. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    Well they've evacuated the immediate area around the building in case it does fall.
  18. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Yeah, I thought I saw emergency vehicles during the quick report. They haven't gone back to it.

I feel sorry for Rick Leventhal standing on the beach at Point Pleasant, NJ. I think he's earned his hazard pay this month.

Edit - Bloomberg TV are currently showing the crane..
    Last edited by LAJ_FETT, Oct 29, 2012
  19. tom Chosen One

star 6
  20. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Now there's an idiot..

Since I'm heading off shortly for the evening, I hope everybody stays safe in the storm path!
  21. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    There are always idiots doing stupid stuff in the middle of a storm. If that guy doesn't have enough common sense to be shuttered inside whatever hole he dwells in, then he won't be wasting air for much longer.

Watch the language.
    Last edited by JoinTheSchwarz, Oct 29, 2012
  22. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I escaped from New York! After my Sunday night flight out of La Guardia was cancelled, I rented almost the last rental car available at Newark and drove home to Chicago with the wife and kids. My family in NYC lives in Tribeca in the evacuation zone, but they decided to stay put. I spent most of Sunday morning helping them get stuff out of basement storage and bring furniture and plants in from their balconies. Then we got a car service to Newark and hit the road about 3 pm yesterday. Rainy drive through PA and OH. Now the local news is talking about predicted 23 foot waves along lake shore drive in Chicago.
    Last edited by Jabbadabbado, Oct 29, 2012
  23. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    It's actually not horrible outside right now. Calmer than this afternoon and nowhere near as hellish as it will inevitably turn out throughout the night. My dog was loving our walk, but Boston's are strange animals. Gonna be a fun couple of days. I just walked to pick up a pizza. Last meal before we inevitably scavenge and resort to cannibalism after society collapses.
    Todd the Jedi likes this.
  24. darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost

star 5
    Work is cancelled for tomorrow! YESSSS! Now as long as I don't drown, and as long as we don't lose power, I'll be fine.
  25. Yodaminch Force Ghost

star 5
    Power went out again a little before 4. Still in Pregame really so CL&P got it back and running again. Definite improvement over the last hurricane by them but we'll see how things go after the real show ends.