JCC Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Legacy Jedi Endordude, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    MSNBC is reporting that the President has just signed a declaration of federal disaster for West Virginia due to the snow storms.
  2. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    Now I really want to see a Godzilla vs. Megashark SyFy movie.
    darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  3. RC-1991 Force Ghost

star 4
    Interesting. It's still more of a soggy wet snow up here in Morgantown WV, though that makes road conditions rather treacherous. I'll have to check with my family in Charleston in the morning to see how heavily they were hit. I'm looking at pictures of Bluefield right now and wondering how the hell Motown managed to avoid this craziness.

I just hope it doesn't turn out as badly as those crazy summer storms in July. I only had to go without power for about a day or two. Some parts of the state got knocked offline for almost a month.
  4. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    On a related note, MSNBC is the only news channel that is currently live with it's coverage of the storms.
  5. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    that explosion video was... just kinda nuts.

thoughts and prayers with anyone still dealing with this and the aftermath.
  6. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    Lost power 3 times, got it back 3 times.

I have no idea what's going to happen tomorrow.
  7. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
  8. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    That's saying something, as you're a connoisseur of reprehensible things.
  9. TiniTinyTony Force Ghost

star 5
    But, uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here, now, thank you. How are you?
  10. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
  11. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Glad to see most folks made it through OK. My CT friend kept power and internet, thanks to buried utility wires. On the down side, he was up all night working, substituting for co-workers in NJ who had no power. I think he's ready for a nap and a shower!
  12. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Bloomberg's news conference was dramatic. Extensive subway tunnel flooding. Subways closed until further notice. My family in NYC will have no power for 3-4 days, or "maybe a bit longer." Schools closed again tomorrow. Airport runways all flooded, no assessment yet of electrical damage to runway lighting/etc. The roads are clear though. Taxi service can operate, bridges set to reopen. Bus service could slowly start up again today.
  13. RC-1991 Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, my parents in Charleston WV have lost power. So far I'm fine up here in Morgantown. And, with the roads the way they are, I have an excuse to not attend class.
  14. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    A fire in Queens has destroyed over 80 homes:
    http://news.msn.com/us/nyc-fire-destroys-at-least-80-flooded-houses-in-queens

The subways and Ground Zero construction are really flooded, will probably take a while, and a levee has broken in New Jersey flooding some towns but it doesn't seem too bad.

Sandy is now turning into a blizzard in West Virginia and parts of Ohio.

Rhode Island is all clear now, it was rather eery last night, with a clear sky and full moon, after the beating we took earlier in the day.

The national death toll, last time I heard, was about 29.
  15. RC-1991 Force Ghost

star 4
    Yep, Charleston WV got at least 10 inches of snow, and apparently

16. LloydChristmas Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Hey thanks for ruining Halloween Sandy, my ref costume was topical this year! Next year I'ma be you, dress like a whore and throw water at people.
  17. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    I just google searched for a funny Sandy (from Spongebob) picture... and I got this disturbing picture instead... (somebody had to actually draw this, people) [face_worried][face_sick][face_worried]

[IMG]
    Last edited by Summer Dreamer, Oct 30, 2012
  18. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    Oh, that is but a shaving from the surface of the iceberg of horrific fanart, Summer. :p
  19. tom Chosen One

star 6
    here's your sandy costume, lloyd.

[IMG]
    LloydChristmas and Darthkat76 like this.
  20. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    I hope all our JCCr's on the East Coast are safe!!

The pictures of this storm remind me of that movie "The Day After Tomorrow" with the 3 huge storms. Luckily, this is only one storm, for whatever consolation that is.
  21. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    My sister's building made the NYT, from a photo taken at Canal and Hudson last night:

[IMG]
  22. TheGuardianofArlon Force Ghost

star 6
  23. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    The woman that was recovered from the Bounty yesterday died at the hospital. The Captain is still missing. Fourteen others survived.
  24. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    Just returned from a drive down to AC to see the mess. In person, it is in indescribably devastated condition. I'm never playing Monopoly with Sandy... she cleaned up the properties on every major street on the board...
  25. Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I hope AmazingB is okay. :(