main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orlando, FL Hurricane

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Pikaroth, Aug 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pikaroth

Pikaroth Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2002
    Well, it's a Category 4 now. Well over 100mph winds or something.

So, why am I posting this? I know it's bad form, and not polite, but, well, it's me. If any of us don't make us, I'd like to see who our collections are going to? I figure this can be some form of Star Wars Will. My stuff has already been promised to three people, only one of which you know: Micah, Stefanie, and Mason.

Even my cellular telephone is not working right (Network Busy). Sigh.

I'm telling you all, if we could get a Jango and Obi-Wan costume, we could video tape two of us fighting in the storm and have the BEST fan film ever.

Brandon

2. JediScout

JediScout Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    Anthony has a Jango costume. While I was stationed in NC in the Marine Corps we used to get hit 2 or 3 times a year by category 5 hurricanes. Im not to worried about this one right now.

And if Im wrong, my 2 year old nephew gets my entire collection.

3. Barra_Jedi

Barra_Jedi Jedi Master star 1

Sep 23, 2002
    What hurricane?

*watches my bassett hound fly by the window*

4. raiza123

raiza123 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2003
    It's the day after & as I survey the aftermath I must say that was a very amazing experience. I stood outside my door watching 100 mile an hour winds & lightning in the distance. Every once & awhile a transformer would blow & the whole sky flashed blue. We should've filmed that because the blue & a rare red flash alone would've been interesting.
    My cel phone just started working & cable too. We never lost power except for little bursts. I think I was one of the lucky ones. Anyone else want to share their hurricane experiences?

Melanie

5. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    The eye of the hurricane hit my neighborhood. It was pretty intense. The whole area is trashed: fallen trees, shingles, torn fences, and other debris. Power and phone service was restored only a few hours ago. On top of everything else, I had to work today. Viva la capitalism!

L8r

6. JediScout

Apr 8, 2004
    Im glad everyone made it through ok. My parents neighborhood got hit pretty bad. Besides a few missing trees and a missing wooden fence everything is ok. They got power back last night around 5 or 6.

7. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    I live in Oviedo. Trees down everywhere, shingles littering the yards and streets. Power was only out for 12 hours, but we only got out cell service back tonight.
    My wife and I are truly lucky we did not have damage to the house like our neighbors.

8. MarasBlade

MarasBlade Jedi Master star 1

Aug 31, 2000
    Hi everyone! I just got power back on and finally have phone service. I am glad everyone is ok. We suffered only minor damage(on the roof). We have lots of trees down but luckily none hit the house or anything close. Our neighborhood was right in the path of the eye of the storm. We had a tornado touch down but luckily no one was affected by it. Thank God we have a lot of land
    Susan

9. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    This is my first time posting since the 13th. I have only spoken to Dale, so he knows what's going on with me. I am in my SECOND hotel now, and THIS one has Internet, though only for 15 minutes at a time. I have taken over 100 pictures (will be given out on CD as gifts), and our yard was completely thrashed. I live in Winter Springs in an area with tons and tons of trees. One, maybe two, big ones came down (well, a lot more than that, but those are the ones that REALLY matter) and they fall right onto my power lines. The lines, meter box, power box, phone box, cables for Internet and high definition, everything, were ripped from my house, putting, while not a hole in it, letting you see through to the final "layer," I guess, of what seperates a room from the outside world. Wires everywhere on the driveway, the meter hovering in midair because a few wires were "attached" to the house and the other on the pole. Again, I got pictures, an absolute mess.

The next day, Sunday, we had a guy out repairing the house itelf. Thank the Emperor that my sister's friend's dad does that kind of stuff for a living, so he was out there ASAP. The next day, Monday, the electrician came out and did a rather amazing job of putting everything back up (well, not the wires, but a new box, meter, etc.) He lowered the price *far* lower than it should have been thanks to my sister giving him some free Universal Studios tickets. He did a great job.

Still, though, no power! Most of our neighborhood has it, some of our STREET has it, but not us! Oh, no! The dogs are dying, I'm dying, everything is dying. Yesterday the telephone guy came out, so we have phone now. The power company says that it should be on by tonight or tomorrow, but who knows, right? Then we need cable itself. At least with power I can watch DVDs, play some computer/video games, sleep in my own bed, shower properly, etc. The cable company says they ARE ready to come out just as soon as we have power.

Also, before anyone says anything, I am going to destroy the next person that says, "Oh, well, at least you and your friends and family are okay!" or "It could have been worse." Really, it COULD have been BETTER. I'm past the point of caring about what happened in Punta Gorda, past it all. Now, obviously enough, I care about friends and family, but my nerves are working on me now, as is to be fully expected. The longest I was without power was, believe it or not, on 09/09/99 when it went out for three days (forget the reason). That was bad enough, this is going on day five with no end in sight. So, yes, I'm mad. Though, typing here is fun. I would respond to other posts, don't think I'm avoiding it, but I really only have time for this at the moment then I must go back home to continue the recovery effort.

I suppose that's all for now. I told Dale to tell everyone that I died, but he is not the type that would do that (sick sense of humor I have, I guess). Though, I must say, thankfully the hotels have cable and the Olympics have been amazing. Female gymnastics are incredible, really.

So, posting this now, going back to my room, then heading home. If you all wish, pray, beg, use the Force, really, really, REALLY hard, maybe you can help me return to the light? I have so much to respond to, but I need to harness the power of a sheild generator to do so....

I'll be back when I'm back.

Brandon

10. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    Wow, that really sucks Brandon. I hope everything works itself out sooner rather than later.

L8r

11. JediScout

Apr 8, 2004
    Hey everyone, Brandons dead, he died in the hurricane. He just wanted me to let you all know.

12. siul-fer-nando

siul-fer-nando Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 30, 2002
    hello fellas my name is siul fer nando a lost moustly everithing in my apartment because the hurricane charly. well may the force be with you.........

a know is the first time to some of you to experiance this kind of atmosphere disturtion, but a can tell that all caribean people know about this matter pay attention to this people when they said is dangerous and pay attention to the news because in my complex ther was alot of people taking a walk and adventure to see the damages this kind of things is dangerous, well a can said that is mostly equal to a tornado near by.

is theres another hurricane near by to orlando, "do not" a said again "do not" go out when this think is happening is for experince, a can tell that in Puerto rico the last one was very powerfull a can remember that the winds are mustly near to 195 mph can you imagen what would happen if this kind of winds can do a concreat, a can tell that in concreat can be crack imagen what would do to orlando houses....

next time be carefull out theres.......

13. JediScout

Apr 8, 2004
    Well alrighty then.

14. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    Well, I am now living, again, in a fully armed and operational battle station! Five days without power, seven days without cable; cable, of course, now includes Internet, e-mail, and high definition television, so I was miserable.

Still, Mr. Nice Brighthouse came out today and got me back up and running. I kid you not, the Olympics look *amazing* in widescreen high definition. I am not "just saying" that, but it is completely true. If you have a widescreen set and do not as of yet get hi-def programming, do so ASAP. Yes, regular shows look better in it, but the Olympics are incredible. If you have a friend with one or whatever, do yourself a favor and watch them for at least an hour or two.

Anyway, I just had to say that. I was hoping they would rebroadcast the opening ceremonies, even if it was at 3:00am or something, so those of us that were without power could record/watch them.

So, I post a little joke message about the Hurricane and look what happens to me. Oh, by the way, there is a church close to me, and the sign out front says, "Hurricane Charlie - A taste of God's power!" Funny, they spelled Charley wrong. :)

Brandon

15. radicalray

radicalray Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2004
    Round 2:

Frances

Is everyone getting ready? I plan on starting to pack the rest of my collection today. (packed up my high end stuff for Charley)

16. Sabacc

Sabacc Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Wow, that's incredibly responsible of you. I'm preparing in the sense that I have water and food, but hadn't even considered the collection.

May The Force Be With Us.

17. siul-fer-nando

siul-fer-nando Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 30, 2002
    well prepare for the worst in this one but a disturbing this hurricane is, "can you fell the disturbence in the force"

18. radicalray

radicalray Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2004
    I live in an older, yet very sturdy mobile home. Very worried about this one, made the decision to pack up my collection and store it in a (hopefully) safer location. The last storm damaged my place, but I did better than a lot of my neighbors.

Do not waste any time getting gas & other supplies. DD batteries are harder to find than a VOTC Vader right now! Being without power for over a week last time, I am making serious preps now.

Really hope this storm goes away....

Hurricanes were so much more fun when I was just a surfer punk! Being a homeowner makes everything so much different.

19. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    I plan to live in blissful ignorance just like with the last storm. It may cost me my life, but I'll die happy!

L8r

20. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    parasail and rollerblades my friends.

21. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    [image=http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20040901/frances_hurricane2_map.gif]

Looks like we're gonna have a fun weekend! This hurricane is a lot stronger than Charley, so be prepared. I'm not going to work once the severe weather hits, despite what they might want. When Charley hit they were actually calling people in to work that night. Jeebus.

I guess Thursday's dinner will be our last hurrah before the ****zu hits the fan.

L8r

22. Ia-Bou

Ia-Bou Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2001
    whew....... hurricane number two to hit central florida...it is so tempting to go out and buy a video camera to do some filming...
    all I could think of last hurricane was fan film shots.... its funny how that is how the thread started :p

23. Sabacc

Sabacc Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Well, I'm getting up around 6am to fill up on gas. Went out last night and picked up some canned goods. Very likely I'll be staying in my own hotel during the worst of it. Seems I've been wrangled into the rideout team. Unless I see that things are worse there than my own home, I won't complain too much. -Campbell

24. Ia-Bou

Ia-Bou Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2001
    you still going to the dinner though, right?

25. eddie-wan-kenobi

eddie-wan-kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2003
    Greetings from North Carolina. I feel for you folks right now. Its kind of a catch-22 for most of us. We're glad it appears, at this point anyway, to be headed far enough west to spare my part of eastern NC. However, that means someone else is going to get creamed. Wish this thing would just blow away, but its not gonna happen. Best wishes to all of you, be safe, and know your in the prayers of many.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.