Hurricane

Discussion in 'Orlando, FL' started by Pikaroth, Aug 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm still looking for the Target Slave 1. Oh, maybe that's not what you meant by "need."
    Seriously, thanks for checking in on us. I've weathered this one as relatively unscathed as the last 2. My hope goes out to the rest of you.
  2. stacey113 Jedi Master

star 4
    Man this season is strange! I live in Lauderdale and we haven't gotten half of the damage that you all have. I have friends in Kissimmee so I am praying for all of you. I am glad everyone is ok.
  3. raiza123 Jedi Knight

star 2
    There was a hurricane? When? OH, those really bad storms with high winds & lots of rain? How can you tell in Florida? We have worse thunder storms sometimes. Well, I did really well and hope to continue doing alright for myself. Good luck to everyone else!

Melanie
  4. RogueScribner Force Ghost

star 4
    Normally, those bad storms don't blow trees down or people's houses away and cause power to be out for days, if not weeks, and intense flooding, and bla bla bla. :p

Be thankful you haven't experienced worse. Some people around here aren't so lucky.

L8r
  5. Ia-Bou Jedi Knight

star 3
    any one else tired of semi bad hurricanes...if I am going to get cooped up inside for days at a time I would rather it be for dealy reasons and not just bad driving conditions...nd if it is going to be a semi-0bad storm.....maybe missing one day of work would be fine...thats right...how about a storm that hits in the middle of the week instead of ruining my weekend...then again if im inside without internet all weekend i can not spend money.... oh wait, i spent money on hurricane supplies...
  6. RogueScribner Force Ghost

star 4
    I work weekends, so I like the fact I get paid to stay home. :)

Campbell, are you making extra dough when you're cooped at the hotel or do they just consider that a normal shift for you?

L8r
  7. Ia-Bou Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well, I definitely would rather get paid to work the hurricane than spend my days off forced to do nothing...all I got out of the weekend was a cold, and a 6 hour game of monopoply I won in the end with over 11,000 dollars of monopoly money
  8. RogueScribner Force Ghost

star 4
    I've been playing Phase 10 and Simpons Life a lot lately. Stupid hurricanes.

L8r
  9. Ia-Bou Jedi Knight

star 3
    I wonder if i can find anyone to play monopoly with real money
  10. Solo_but_not_alone Jedi Knight

star 1
    I....I will survive!

I have come to the decision that my Home Haunt, I decorate my yard every year for Halloween, will include tombstones of our illustrious 'canes this year.

Charley "Blowhard"
    Frances "Windbag"
    Ivan "Airhead"
    Jeanne "Full of hot air"

My little way of thumbing my nose at the elements.

11. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    Seems as good a coping mechanism as any.

Mike, I get paid a tad extra only because if I'm there, they're going to utilize me. I'd rather be home. If my roof breaks on through I want to be able to mobilize the collection to a dryer part of the house.
  12. RogueScribner Force Ghost

star 4
    Bet you never thought about hurricanes when you started your collection, huh? :)

L8r
  13. raiza123 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I survived unscathed from the hurricanes. I never lost power, cable or even had much water around my house. I know others had it much much worse. I wanted to formally offer my sympathies and hope that we all get through this season with out any more incidences. Everyone keep your fingers crossed.

Melanie
  14. Ia-Bou Jedi Knight

star 3
    yes, I never lose power either
    however, I everywhere I go during the hurricane loses power
  15. JediRecon Jedi Padawan

Hey, it was the first time we've lost power during a hurricane and I think the game was like 6.5 hours, but we did stop for lunch. I lost after hour 3.
  16. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    After three hours of Monopoly, I think it might be a relief to lose.
  17. lysis Jedi Master

star 4
    Never loose power? I wish.
    I live on the water in Punta Gorda Florida and the eye of Hurricane Charley made landfall over my house. The nearby airport was clocking wind gusts in excess of 170 mph before their instruments failed. Since my house was facing the harbor we were experiencing stuff even more intense. About half way through the storm, right before the eye, the windows shattered under the pressure, and the front door flew off its hinges. The wind was gusting so hard off the ocean, that all the salt water blew its way into the house, destroying all the furniture. I was out of school for two weeks. A week after getting back to school, the south end of Frances cliped us and flooded my town. Gene did the same thing.
    While Charley was my third hurricane, it was the first to happen in the daytime, so I got the whole thing on video. In 1992 (I lived in Homestead then) the mother of all hurricanes, Hurricane Andrew (a catagory five) moved over my house as well --at night. I dont think I have ever been so scared in my life. Winds there were gusting over 200 mph. We diddnt get power back for about three months! Thats right, three months. Believe it or not, I actually love Hurricanes. No, I do not like what they do, and I dont want anyone to die. But I just think they are so facinating. At least I can say this because I have experienced the worst these storms have to offer.

If anyone dissagrees with me feel free to post replys. Actually I would love to hear any stories anyone may have. Your welcome to share your experiences.
  18. JediScout Jedi Master

star 1
    You might wanna move out of Florida.
  19. lysis Jedi Master

star 4
    Are you kidding? I love Florida. The fact that we get more Hurricanes and tropical storms than anybody in the United States makes living here ausome!

EDIT (last message): I spelled Jeanne wrong.
  20. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    Pretty amazing attitude. It'll keep you standing. Good luck to you, both in safety, and in seeing more mesmerizingly beautiful storms. -Campbell
  21. Ia-Bou Jedi Knight

star 3
    why the heck was the login screen pink???? weird...anyway

I think next year I will grow to love the hurricanes if I prepare early.... at the same time I want to go to the store at the last minute to buy some item I dont need that doesn't have a price tag and is not hurricane related...like one of those sent stories things....just kidding, but really, it would be funny......."price check on lawn furniture"
  22. JediScout Jedi Master

star 1
  23. lysis Jedi Master

star 4
    slip in slide....now that one made me laugh.
    Very funny.

Actually, notice that most people stock up on twinkies and beer before the storm. Im not kidding, these are the two items that go out of stock first.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.