main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Hux and Kylo

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TheReal_Rebel, Jan 19, 2016.

1. TheReal_Rebel

TheReal_Rebel Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2015
    The dynamic between Gen. Hux and Kylo is not the same dynamic as that of Tarkin and Vader. Tarkin and Vader we know from the Clone Wars series and Tarkin novel, have a common world view and a long time working relationship prior to ANH.

In TFA, Kylo Ren and Gen. Hux seems far more adversarial and competitive, sniping at each other and jockeying for Daddy Snoke's favor. Perhaps mirroring Admiral Motti's sniping at Vader.

How irksome must it be for Gen. Hux ("a snear in a suit" as Donhal Gleeson describes him) to have this sorcerer, Ren, outside of the normal chain of command, have charge of military personnel. Not to mention, having to clean up after Ren's mistakes in TFA, including having to rescue Kylo from the destruction of StarKiller Base.

Hux seems aware of Ren's connection to Skywalker, and if he isn't, he should be after Kylo very publicaly kills his father. Some Trooper or other personnel is bound to have heard and report it to Hux.

This seems a point of contention that I can see the Resistance exploiting it to divide the FO.

I can see the corridors of a command ship ripe with whispers of "Wait. What? He's the son and nephew of our biggest enemies? How can the Supreme Commander trust him?"

What are your thoughts?

2. Jedi of Baker Street

Jedi of Baker Street Jedi Master star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    I think the Kylo and Hux relationship is kind of a fascinating one, and a different kind of dynamic than we have seen in Star Wars before. (I thought there could have been a cool Obi-Wan / Anakin rivalry for the approval of Qui-Gon, but it didn't work. Anakin was too young while Obi-Wan was too cool, and Qui-Gon didn't last long enough anyway!) . But Kylo and Hux seem equal in that they are both young, powerful, and ambitious. Though Hux is more cold about it all while Kylo is emotional. I think they play off of each other really well and I hope the relationship is expanded a bit. I could see them being sort of "frenemies" behind the scenes lol, where they could share a laugh now and then but ultimately wouldn't hesitate to undermine the other. Also they are probably jealous of each other too, with Hux envying Kylo's Force powers and Kylo envying Hux's control and total committment.

I have hope that Kylo COULD be redeemed, but I fear Hux is doomed, and that actually makes me sad.

3. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    I agree, their interactions were underused - there is so much to be explored in there.

MrElculver2424 and Sgt. Carver like this.
  4. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    I hope that the rivalry does continue and that if it does, Hux becomes/remains a legitimate threat/rival to Ren. Not in a straight up brawl perhaps but what Hux lacks in force powers, he makes up for in being tactically astute and politically savvy (not that he's shown a lot of yet either, but with a hypothetical expanded role...) The First Order troopers certainly seemed to like/admire him personally going by his big speech scene, so perhaps play up the vast masses of muggles vs. superpowered elite with F.O. vs Knights Of Ren.

5. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Is this a 'shipping thread?

6. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Who knows, hope not....

7. Phteven

Phteven Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2016
    I don't really quite understand why so many are so interested in Hux. I found the character prettydull. Whereas Tarkin was presented as intimidating with a a feel of regality, like Dooku, I found Hux sort of dweeby and try hard. I mean, that's how I read the character, that he was intended to be like that. Probably so that he was trying to be Tarkin as much as Kylo is trying to be Vader.

8. SkooterNB

SkooterNB Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 4, 2005
    I definitely hope that Hux is fleshed out more... his character, to me, is ripe for an interesting background. It is also interesting that Snoke, who from our small knowledge of him, is likely very old and frail-ish, puts so much power in the hands of two young whipper snappers.

9. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    Hux is less like Tarkin and more like the other Imperial officers in the OT who frowned on Vader's meddling. Remember the condescension? "Your sad devotion to that ancient religion hasn't helped conjure up the stolen data tapes", or "My lord, there are so many unchartered settlements.." (and with his delivery, Michael Sheard makes it sound like he is schooling Vader). Vader was quick to discipline them, but Ren stays his hand when Hux fails - perhaps because they're equals or because he realizes the man's value to the fledgling First Order. The paucity of older personnel seems to suggest the Empire's veteran cadre had been wiped out, and killing senior officers for insolence would be counterproductive. Things may change in Episode VIII with the introduction of Benicio deal Toro's villain, who may be playing another major luminary in the Order and make Hux suddenly expendable.

10. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    The other difference in dynamic is that Vader and Tarkinton were adults. Hux is not portrayed badly but just seems too young and fresh faced for me. I understand Ren's age for obvious reasons.

11. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    Excellent points. It'll be interesting to see if Kylo is redeemed - seems like a VERY long shot after he killed one of the most popular characters in the franchise. I like a redemption story but it would be difficult to get long time fans to accept it.

As for Hux, yeah. He's likely going the way of that understated Admiral in RotJ. They did an excellent job of making him very ugly during his rousing speech just before they use the Weapon.

I mean, from what I've seen there's already an accepted dynamic between them that seems extremely popular - that is Kylo is uncaring whilst Hux is completely in love with him xD

12. AshJade

AshJade Jedi Padawan

Jan 6, 2016
    I think Kylo will be redeemed, but there is no hope for Hux. He seems extremely indoctrinated. During his speech before the weapon launch, I felt like yelling in the theater, "Shut up, Weasley!". ;)

thescavenger and AmySolo like this.
  13. 357hermon

357hermon Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 6, 2016
    I haven't read the novelization yet, but I'm interested to know how the relationship will develop amongst Kylo, Hux and Snoke. There was something peculiar about the way Snoke said something to Hux about, "Go. Foresee... etc." The way Snoke said it was almost as if Hux was just too fanatical about whatever matter it was and Snoke thought of him as a pawn just maintaining the First Order. Kylo staring Hux down as Snoke said it and Hux leaving was almost a way of confirming this. Anyone else catch this behavior at those scenes?

14. 357hermon

Jan 6, 2016
    I should have added that the way Kylo watched him was as if he knew what Snoke was doing to Hux, understanding the scheme.

15. AmySolo

Jan 12, 2016
    I believe he says oversee preparations.

Hux is clearly in that position because he believes in Order with every fiber - he's practically quivering when delivering his speech. Like the speech or not, it is meant to continue keeping the troops in line and I think it does a great job. Propaganda at its finest.

16. 357hermon

Jan 6, 2016
    But Snoke's response was almost conniving/scheming and Ren's attitude was emphasis with Snoke. Am I wrong about that?

17. 357hermon

Jan 6, 2016
    Snoke seems to be masterminding Ren for his own purposes, Hux for the FO, Hux and Ren against one another. It seems Hux and Ren have their own "secret" with Snoke. What is that dividing line is what I think we should really be asking.

18. SkooterNB

Mar 4, 2005
    Its a little friendly competition.

19. AmySolo

Jan 12, 2016
    In no way do I view their relationship as friendly. They may be civil and possibly have a drink together once in awhile but even that would be strained. There's some serious hatred when they speak to each other.

(Which is possibly unrequited love but still. :-B )

20. SkooterNB

Mar 4, 2005
    For sure, not friendly. I look at it as teenage siblings competing for attention.

Dak Oolron and AmySolo like this.
  21. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    I think Hux is maneuvering to get Kylo ousted from the FO but it the destruction of the Starkiller could be blamed on him since Finn was instrumental in its demise. I'm interested to see where the leadership stands in the sequel.

22. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

Perhaps to echo Vader's warning that the power of the original Death Star was insignificant compared to the power of the Force, I did feel that it was implied that Kylo Ren wasn't particularly impressed or interested in the Starkiller weapon itself. Either that or he felt that, as part of the rivalry with Hux, he wanted the chance to impress Snoke by obtaining the location of Luke Skywalker without having to resort to using the weapon as a form of "blackmail" against the Republic.

AmySolo likes this.
  23. TheReal_Rebel

Sep 17, 2015
    Nope. But feel free too.

I raised it as a vulnerability that the Resistance, with the right infiltrators, might be able to exploit and use to fracture the FO.

I agree that Hux is following in Tarkin's footsteps and doing a better job of it than Ren is of following in Vader's.

Hux's father runs the Cadet Academy.

Yes. Hux is more like Motti. Which I believe it's going to cause an eventual rift.

Good point about the lack of Senior Officers.

There are rumors that Del Toro's character may be based on Thrawn.

24. TheReal_Rebel

Sep 17, 2015
    If Phasma survives, and if I were Hux, I'd make sure of it and toss her to Snoke. Kylo might suggest use of Clones.

If a third party, like Del Toro's character, is introduced as part of FO command, it might cause further splintering in the FO's command structure.

We know the Empire lasted about 20 years. It seems to me Snoke's FO is on shakier ground than Palpatine's Empire. That is not to say they aren't as dangerous, they clearly are and to more people.

There is more volatility in the command structure of the FO then the Empire and more likelyhood of causing irreprebable damage because of it. Possibly sending the denzinens into a pre hyperspace travel state.

I am also very curious how the FO's power structure pans out for our boys Hux and Ren.

25. MilesEdgeworth

MilesEdgeworth Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    Kylo is going to choke the ____ out of Hux one of these days.

Dak Oolron likes this.