main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Hux and Kylo

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TheReal_Rebel, Jan 19, 2016.

1. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014

I respectfully disagree. Maybe it's just because I'm young and didn't see the OT movies until 30 years after they came out, but I never felt any sort of extreme intimidation with Tarkin. He was there, yeah, he was cool.

But I absolutely loved Hux. His sniping back and forth with Kylo Ren was unique and incredibly entertaining. I love the line right after Ren walks out of the interrogation room after getting Poe Dameron to reveal that the map is inside BB-8. Hux is waiting outside, and when Ren tells him that it is hidden in the BB unit, Hux delivers a sarcastic, funny line: "Well, if it is on Jakku we shall soon have it." Just the way Domhnall Gleeson delivered that line and the look on his face was great.

Hux is a try hard. So is Kylo Ren. But I like it. Hux's Nazi-esque speech on SKB was one of the best parts of the movie, in my opinion. You can tell Hux had probably rehearsed that for a long time, since it is stated in canon information that he thought it was his destiny to rule the galaxy as he was growing up. And he wants it more than ever; there's just one problem: Kylo Ren is in his way.

Dak Oolron, mrs-kylo-ren and AmySolo like this.
  2. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014

No doubt he's very young and fresh-faced. But do you really feel that it is a bad thing for the trilogy? Would you have rather had a repeat of the OT...older, more experienced generals and leaders of the First Order?

I think they wanted to be different. Instead of two old guys running the regime (Vader & Tarkin), they switched it up and went with two very young men running it (Ren and Hux) while also having the two go at each other. Each wants to rule the galaxy in his own, and that conflict between them is a brilliant part of the story. I love it.

Jedi of Baker Street likes this.
  3. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014

I did notice that as well. Which is ironic because Hux was actually the successful one of the film. Ren failed over and over again at his objectives. But Hux commanded the First Order very well and correctly oversaw the usage of the Starkiller weapon for the first time, a completely successful action. And Snoke didn't seem to be that impressed/thankful. Shame, lol. He doesn't realize what he has in Hux.

4. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    I agree that having these two young and slightly egoistic fellows running the show at the First Order, on SL Snoke's behalf, makes for an interesting scenario... On the one hand, these two have their respective roles to follow but they are both also trying to show the Big Boss who is better at doing their stuff - which explains why General Hux and Kylo are always in disagreement with each other!

But yeah, MrElculver2424, the Supreme Leader always seems to place more focus on his disciple Kylo Ren, considering he has failed at most of the tasks given to him... In contrast with Hux, who definitely gets things done well, in the end!

5. Silent Android

Silent Android Jedi Master star 1

Jan 1, 2016
    I caught that dynamic and thought it was one of the strong points about the movie.
    Kylo Ren has not one, but two rivals: Rey is his Force rival, and Hux is his workplace rival.
    I'm quite sure, and it's probably obvious, that Kylo will kill Hux at some point in the saga -- it's not beneath him to, he killed his own dad for goodness sakes.

JediKnightYJK likes this.
  6. RobbyV

RobbyV Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I think Kylo and Hux are inspired by current events -- young men, women and teenagers leaving their families behind for jihad in Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq -- seduced by promises of a caliphate from old demagogues. It's probably no accident they were cast as young men.

Ubraniff Zalkaz and AmySolo like this.
  7. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    They are both a bit immature and lacking confidence, and Snoke is playing them off each other. Keep your employees fighting and they won't try at take your job.

8. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    As someone else said, I'm pretty sure it was a nod to characters like Motti back talking Vader. Jerjerrod also stood up to Vader in an ROTJ cut scene. And in the Vader comic, Vader is placed under Tagge's command, and Tagge is condescending towards him. Lucas says on the ANH commentary that the intent with ANH was to show that there isn't a clearly defined hierarchy between people like Tarkin, Vader, Motti, etc. And that they are peers unified by fear of the Emperor. Hux and Kylo similarly don't respect each other, but are unified in their loyalty to Snoke

Dak Oolron and GregMcP like this.
  9. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    That would be of great annoyance to a military guy like Hux. Kylo is not part of the hierarchy. He doesn't fit into the System. He shouldn't be here.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  10. Jedi of Baker Street

Jedi of Baker Street Jedi Master star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Yeah, not fair. o_O I think Snoke sees Hux as a competent General, someone he needs to keep First Order running smoothly. He knows Hux is awesome at his job, but he also knows there are others who could take Hux's place if need be. But Kylo is unique...his big prize...Ben Solo...strong with The Force and tied to Luke Skywalker. Force users like Snoke know that despite whatever awesome technical and military developments there are, ultimately the greater battle is going to be a dark side/light side war with Luke and his allies. So Kylo is the precious one, and in a competition between him and Hux, I think Snoke ultimately cares more about Kylo. Even though on a personal level he probably knows Kylo is more of a risk, and wishes it were Hux lol.

11. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    what about romance between Kylo and Hux? o_O

GregMcP likes this.
  12. Jedi of Baker Street

Jedi of Baker Street Jedi Master star 1

Dec 28, 2015

It'd be hot.

MeBeJedi and nightangel like this.
  13. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Bromance is more likely, but I think they will kill each other first before that can happen!

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

nightangel likes this.
  14. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    All the stormtroopers who witnessed this were either shot by Chewie or killed in the subsequent blast.

Is this on the laserdisc commentary?

Heroic BB-8 and Dak Oolron like this.
  15. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
  16. Phteven

Phteven Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2016
    Hmm. Yeah I do think it's highly possible Kylo will kill Hux in a rage or even just because he's annoyed with him. Hux can be replaced.

17. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    Snap. Once again the actual story of a confrontation is called into question due to lack of unbiased witnesses - if a few troopers were to survive, the Resistance story gains credence. This is very much like the story of the confrontation at the end of RotJ, which allowed Snoke to very easily dismiss rumors of Vaders turn due to lack of evidence. Interesting.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  18. mrs-kylo-ren

mrs-kylo-ren Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2016
    What makes hux so interesting is because his character hasn't been developed truly yet, because of that sadly a lot of fans just overlook him or hate him. It's intriguing to speculate where his character will go. I have a feeling snoke will use hux more as his pawn, possibly setting him agaisnt kylo if need be. Kylo would willingly fight hux considering his emotional tendencies.

19. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't know. It was on the commentary for the SE DVD. It is mentioned going into that scene with Tagge and Motti. Lucas mentions that there isn't a clear hierarchy of who answers to who, except they all unquestionably answer to the Emperor, so Tagge and Motti are bickering, Motti criticizes Vader's failure to acquire the stolen plans, etc.

20. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I've always thought of the First Order as a being similar to the Islamic State.

21. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Hux isn't Tarkin, in the same way that Kylo isn't Vader.

-Tarkin and Vader were both older, with decades of military experience. They were also cold-blooded, ruthless professionals (add a streak of pragmatism on Tarkin's part). They were schemers/manipulators as well, and they respected each other and worked well together overall.

-Hux and Kylo are the young, more passionate fanatics. Prone to more emotion, but still not stupid. Of the two, Hux does seem to be the more pragmatic (arguing for destroying BB-8 if they couldn't capture it, so at least Leia and co then couldn't find Luke either. Or chastising Kylo for letting his personal agenda get in the way, or chastising him in front of Snoke for letting BB-8 go when he captured Rey, and then failing to get the info out of her, etc). But his fanaticism when it comes to "the cause" really comes through in both his speech, and when SKB fires for the first time. The look on his face says it all, it's almost like a sort of religious experience for him. And of course he and Kylo don't really get along.

22. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    According to tumblr and me they are "Evil Space Boyfriends" and I am ok with this even though it will probably end with Hux dying

23. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Their man parts-measuring contests were certainly fun to watch. They were like two teenagers constantly trying to one-up each other. Personally, I'd say advantage Hux right now.

MrElculver2424 likes this.
  24. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Well, I could imagine them with a small, precisely tasteful, super neat apartment.
    Hux is working in the stock market, while Kylo is trying to make it in theater but is only getting small bit parts in advertising.

They come home at night and eat their Lean Cuisine and watch Big Brother and bicker constantly. But they need each other because who else would put up with them?

25. TheReal_Rebel

TheReal_Rebel Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2015
    Nowhere is that proven.

Plus, Hux all ready knows Kylo's heritage as he mentions it in TFA.