"Hymn to the Fallen" - A Williams Masterpiece

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Strilo, Jul 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I sit here, having just watched Saving Private Ryan again, listening to "Hymn to the Fallen" in headphones with tears running down my face. I cannot think of a more moving, emotional tribute to the many lives lost in World War II than this simply stunning piece by John Williams. After experiencing the array of emotionally impacting, some even devastating, scenes of the film, "Hymn to the Fallen" serves as a catharsis for me.

The raw power and gruesome reality of the film left me sitting in the theatre in 1998. I was speechless, full of emotion and, like now, crying. I believe much of Saving Private Ryan's ability to not just shock but to convey as much as is humanly possibly the full experience of WWII is due to our ability to release the emotions built up during the film. "Hymn to the Fallen" allows and encourages us to do just that. I also remember in 1998, for once I was not alone sitting there during the credits. Many people sat as I did, tears, murmured words of support for loved ones, allowing the beauty and power of John Williams' music to help them understand what they had just seen.

It is a tribute to the many fallen in WWII and it stands also as a tribute to the power of music.

2. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    The film = meh
    Most of its music = meh
    Hymn to the Fallen = damned beautiful music. I listen to it all the time, and I convinced my school orchestra to play it a couple years ago. :)
  3. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus

star 6
    Hymn to the Fallen is possibly one of the greatest musical scores ever composed to film. It's so moving and powerful. I only wish it had played during the movie as opposed to only playing during the credits.

John Williams is brilliant. Right around the 3 minute mark is where I get all emotional over the piece. It's just so damn powerful.
  4. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I am glad I am not the only one who is moved by this amazing piece...

5. MikeB Jedi Knight

star 2
    I agree that it is a wonderful piece. It never fails to move me.
  6. Spirit-of-Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 1
    I was listening to this piece over the fourth of July as I hadn't listened to it in some time. It really hit me how great this track really is. Very somber and reflective music.
  7. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    //get ready for controversy (maybe)

I have had just enough beer to make me very susceptible to the emotions of music, and am now listening to this track for the first time.

I am half way through, and the only images I am getting are of a salvation army brass band playing down the high street at Christmas.

A bit better now the choir has joined in. The string quaver motif is quite alluring, but I am still not astounded by this piece.

Ooh, the glockenspiel has come in, that was nice, and now the piece is certainly building up ver nicely. The contrapuntal strings are getting better.

At 4:34 there is a very nice climax, but it dies down too suddenly.

At 5 mins now, and I can't see this piece going anywhere else. It was ok, but nothing special. The trumpet bits at the beginning and end remind me too much of Air Force One by Jerry Goldsmith. Can't say I'm too impressed with this. It's alright, but nothing to write home about. Sorry

EDIT: listening to music from "Babylon 5 - Voices of Authority" now and that is getting me emotionally a lot more
  8. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Well, everyone has the right to be wrong. 8-}
  9. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Eh... what do the English know anyway?

10. Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master

star 4
    listening to music from "Babylon 5 - Voices of Authority" now and that is getting me emotionally a lot more

I think Sleeping in the Light is the best song out of the B5 series.

Back on topic:
    Hymn to the Fallen is just an example of why John Williams is my #1 composer.

And like that...he's gone.
  11. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    He did that on purpose, didn't he?
  12. Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master

star 4
    :confused:

Are you referring to the line in your signature "They are not 'songs'. They are "tracks" or 'cues'" And that I called SitL a song?

13. halibut Chosen One

star 8
  14. Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master

star 4
    "Some people think a song without words isn't a real song. Tell that to Beethoven and he'll kick your ***!" - Eddie Van Halen

15. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    It's not an insult to say that they are not songs. It's just that the terminology used by most musically educated people for classical music is "piece." Beethoven's work is amazing. Moonlight Sonata is one of my all time favourite classical pieces. Or one could also say all time favourite works. The term used for cataloging all of Bach's works is BWV ###. The BWV stands for Bach Werke Verzeichnis which means Bach Works Catalogue.

As with classical music, film score music also has some terms that are considered "proper." I cannot recall ever hearing John Williams or Jerry Goldsmith or any other film score composer calling their own work a song. They frequently refer to a specific theme. The recording technique, of frequently recording in small chunks anywhere from 15 second to 1.5 minutes, yields the word cue, which refers to these little pieces that frequently segue into one another to form a longer piece. I frequently hear them refer to cues when talking about their own work. When these pieces or cues are organized for listening and put on CD, they are referred to as tracks.

Rest assured that Halibut and the rest of us here who say that film scores and classical music are not songs are not insulting them. It's a matter of respect and using the proper terminology that the composers themselves use(d). As for me personally, I think it's way harder to compose music for a full orchestra than it is to write a pop or rock song. So you could therefore conclude that to me, calling a classical work or film score music a song is the insult.

16. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    Tell that to Beethoven and he'll kick your ***!

He'll kick your cat????
  17. doggans Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Not if Adam kills it first. :p
  18. Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for clearing that up, strilo.

19. Neoisthebomb Jedi Knight

star 1
    i think music is especially important in films where the story conveys such strong emotions,passions,and most importantly,truth.The strong,graphically depicted images of war in Saving Private Ryan is a horrific reminder that freedom is not free,and that blood musi be spilt in order to maintain a nations liberty.The music has an obligation to compliment this.
    And john Williams amazing score does just this.The score itself is a story. The notes write the chapters of suffering,bravery,sacrifice,death,but ultimately, freedom.Let us never forget.
  20. Pooja Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Definitely one of my favorite pieces from Williams. This, the Episode II Love Theme, and Fawkes the Phoenix have been my most recent favorites. I love Saving Private Ryan's score because the music never really tries to interfere with the film, yet it's one of the best scores out there, in my opinion.
  21. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    POOJA!!!!!!! Yes I completely agree with everything you said. Those three themes are probably my three favourite recent Williams compositions. And I also agree about the SPR score. It really is wonderful.

22. yodaschum Jedi Master

star 4
    Strilo, I am with you on this, not just SPR but most of Williams' work can move me to tears nearly every time. Especially the Star Wars scores. The theme for SPR is a gem.
  23. Jedi-Washington Jedi Master

star 4
    Definately one of the best pieces Williams has written ever. I cant tell you how much i love this work. it definately describes war perfectally. It is one of the works that will live forever.
  24. Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Yes, great piece. I listened to it last night. I got totally lost in the music. Simply amazing.
  25. Parrothead Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I hate to be the lone naysayer, but Hymn to the Fallen just doesn't move me. Different strokes I guess...
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.