main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hype: The Phantom Menace Vs The Force Awakens?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by BOBA-FETT-82, Dec 4, 2015.

1. BOBA-FETT-82

BOBA-FETT-82 Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 19, 2002
    Love it or loathe it, the only movie that has matched TFA was the anticipation for The Phantom Menace back in May 1999. So cast your mind back 16 1/2 years. Which was/is the more anticipated movie? But first you must unlearn what you have learned about TPM back when we thought it would be the greatest movie of all time.

[​IMG]

Internet: The biggest difference of course is the internet. Sure we had internet back in 1999 but it wasn't as widespread. No social media. Slow 56k connections. I remember logging into a Star Wars chat room on release day to talk about the movie. No internet meant people were paying to watch a movie just to watch the TPM trailer and sleeping outside theatres for days, even weeks to buy tickets.

Time: 16 years had past between ROTJ and TPM. There was a pent-up demand for Star Wars. However only 10 years have passed between ROTS and TFA. Also unlike the time between ROTJ and TPM (especially the barren spell between 85-91, there has consistantly been new Star Wars over the 10 years. New TV shows, books, comics, games, toys. It never went away. However for a lot of people it's been 32 1/2 years since this is the sequel to ROTJ.

A new generation: Time has also meant there is now another generation of fans who grew up with the prequels. More people = more anticipation.

It has to be good, right?: In 1999 no one expected that TPM *could* be bad. Now although everyone is hopeful TFA will be great, i hear a lot of people saying "what if it isn't?"

2. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I was a guy who went to a movie just for the TPM trailer. The Waterboy, I think... Honestly do not remember. But I remember the trailer!!

I remember waiting over an hour for that trailer to download days later. Ahh, good ol dial-up days.

I'm very excited for this movie, but I think the hype was bigger back then. I loved buying those figures. We didn't even know who most of them were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SlashMan likes this.
  3. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    As with anything, it can be tough to compare different time periods, and also it has been incredibly difficult to decide if TFA has indeed passed TPM in anticipation. I am not sure you'll ever have a real answer to that one, just a feeling that they're both pretty close. I wrote a book on TPM titled Anticipation: The Real Life Story of Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace, where the book's primary drive is focused on TPM as the most anticipated film of all time. It absolutely was at that time, without question.

While I'd love to continue to argue that TPM remains the most anticipated movie of all time, I think a strong argument can be made that TFA has matched that. I think at some point you get to a 100/100 anticipation level where you honestly can't judge which is more, they're both different and equally awe-inspiring.

One month ago, my gauge was something along the lines of, "Well, USA Today ran a 50 day countdown until TPM came out, with a new Star Wars fact every day." But now, a few days ago, USA Today announced Star Wars December and are running something about Star Wars every day. So that's a wash. Time Magazine has Star Wars on the cover and so does just about every other magazine still in existence that had TPM on the cover. You can't really go by magazines / media because it appears TFA is every bit the equal to TPM.

Advance ticket sales are now done online rather than at the box office primarily, so we didn't have camps of people like the past films, but is that a fair way to judge whether a movie is more anticipated? Not really. It's just a statement about how die-hard our fan base is that they will wait in line for weeks to see a movie. That will always be the most impressive part about the anticipation for the past three Star Wars films, but it's not a fair way to disqualify TFA for the title of Most Anticipated Movie Of All Time.

One argument in favor of TFA is the original cast returning. While everyone was excited for the prequels -- and I love the prequels -- I think there's definitely a sense in the general public that everyone kind of wondered, huh, what if they did make more Star Wars and brought back the original cast? It almost seemed impossible, like too much time had passed, and it just wouldn't ever happen. Then somehow, magically, Lucas reaches out to them, he reaches out to Kathleen Kennedy, and pretty soon LFL is part of Disney and Star Wars 7 is announced. I sat and stared at my phone for 30 minutes looking at news, thinking about it all, and just dumb-founded. Wait, more Star Wars? Wait... Lucas doesn't own Lucasfilm? :( More Star Wars?! Hmm... I hope it's good!

I think with the incredible advance ticket sales and interest we're seeing in this movie, TFA is either the most anticipated film of all time or second only to TPM. I also think the argument could be somewhat solidified in TFA's favor depending on the box office results. The Phantom Menace had an incredible multiple at the box office, so it had amazing legs befitting a successful, well liked summer blockbuster. VERY few movies make only 15% of their total box office from opening weekend like TPM did. Given that we can be pretty much about 99% sure The Force Awakens doesn't have the same multiple, it will be more front-loaded than TPM even if it has a 95% Rotten Tomatoes score and amazing word of mouth. That means if TFA passes TPM's adjusted for inflation gross with, say, $775 million, and becomes the highest grossing movie ever, and also in the process breaks the opening weekend record, it would be fair to say it was the more anticipated film from the only way we can judge the numbers.

That would be 1) A bigger opening than TPM with more tickets sold, not just dollars, and 2) More tickets sold total to TFA than TPM, despite better legs from TPM, so you'd have to think that would make it arguably the most anticipated film.

Alienware and TigerCraneFist like this.
  4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It's very hard to tell whether the hype is bigger now than in 1999 generally.
    For me personally, it's a toss up. Back in '99, I was thirteen - the perfect age. I had had half a decade to immerse myself in the GFFA through the movies on VHS, the special editions in the cinema and of course, books and comic books, action figures and video games (how I long for the days when games like TIE Fighter and Jedi Knight were made), but still not old enough to have grown cynical. I was a kid who had to wait all throughout summer to see TPM (it was released here in August), and who wasn't let down one bit once I finally saw it.
    So the hype for me was, simply put, huge. I started making fan films (just short clips of my friends and I dueling with lightsabers), read all the tidbits I could find, spent hours streaming the second trailer (the glorious days of Quicktime streaming on 56k :p ), and watched clips on some CD-ROM BTS thing I had gotten for my birthday.

Now I'm almost thirty, so the hype isn't the same thing. Or is it?
    Actually, yeah, it totally is. Because waiting for a new Star Wars movie brings out the kid in me. I have recently started reading the comic books again, I'm currently reading J.W. Rinzler's The Making of Star Wars (what an amazing book - I can't believe I haven't read it before), I've been playing Super Star Wars on the SNES (I managed to finish that game for the first time ever just a few days ago), and I bought Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy at a second-hand store. Not to mention that I look forward to the new Rebels episode every week. Hell, I even made a fan film just a month or two ago!
    I wasn't expecting that I would be able to feel like this again. I thought I was too old and cynical. Turns out I am totally capable of feeling as excited now as I was back in 1999!

And it feels great :)

Skellybobs and Dagobahsystem like this.
  5. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Nothing ever has been or ever will be more overhyped than THE PHANTOM MENACE. Some films, such as THE LORD OF THE RINGS and THE DARK KNIGHT came close, but nothing has equaled, much less surpassed, it, including THE FORCE AWAKENS

6. Wally44

Wally44 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005
    I think the hype may be higher this time due to the involvement of the core OT characters. That's really the only thing making it any bigger than TPM.

Mist1024 and Bowen like this.
  7. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I don't know, the hype for TPM was pretty huge. I almost didn't graduate because of it - I went to opening night instead of studying for my government final. I remember being dumbfounded that we were finally getting NEW Star Wars. It was an event, and it was all over the news.

That said, it wasn't really NEW Star Wars. We knew who Anakin was going to become, we were looking at a young Obi-Wan, and even without the soundtrack spoiler, we knew Qui-Gon was going to die eventually. We were finally getting the whole story, but in a way, we already knew it. With TFA, it seems more like it's something new. My fellow spoiler-free forumites can relate - I have no idea what's going to happen. Even my favorite characters are a mystery to me again. That just seems bigger to me. The merchandising seems pretty similar to what TPM was. The Star Wars aisle is huge again, they're marketing copies of the movies everywhere, and you can fill your pantry and bathroom with products oddly branded with Star Wars.

So, my vote goes to TFA.

Bowen likes this.
  8. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Easy TPM is the most anticipated prequel and TFA the most anticipated sequel.

If there positions in time were changed then the difference would be fairly minimal.

The only actual advantage for TFA is therefore Luke, Leia and Han returning but that is unique to TFA as TPM couldn't do that so it is an extra factor.

B99 likes this.
  9. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    Living in Japan, I don't think I even noticed TPM until I saw the novelization at a book store that sold foreign books. This, despite me being neck-deep in the NJO at the time. With TFA, I'm seeing SW everywhere. It probably doesn't hurt that the release date is the same as the rest of the world, too [face_still_bitter_after_all_these_years]. So, on a purely regional note, I'd say that TFA is more anticipated.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  10. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I hope you're right, because Variety is predicting that TFA will have an almost impossible time beating or matching TPM in Japan. TPM was a MASSIVE hit in Japan, so I can only guess the hype was pretty big over there at the time as well, because it eventually went on to make $103 million. TFA is expected to make $80-100M but with one source saying it's very tough to cross that $81 million threshold (whatever that translates to in Yen, I guess). I really hope TFA can be the highest grossing SW movie ever in Japan, it would definitely help the worldwide box office!

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Calling it evens out to the same level of massive goddamn hype. TPM was the first Star Wars movie in almost 2 decades, people were a-hungerin. TFA is the first (really) in over a decade but has the original cast back so it all sorta evens out to "fasklasd lkjyjklqwlkaylaynl jkqy ykllamn yjlqkl;jyj kqlqlkyj freak out akljsyj akljyajklykla" levels of hype.

12. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    This seems to be a very regional thing, because I’m not seeing much hype for TFA in Japan. There’s lots of promotion, but there’s also a lot of promotion for The Peanuts too. At one point the post office was selling these washi tapes with Darth Vader and stormtroopers design, but they got replaced for The Peanuts before I managed to grab one of those.
    And the Japanese around me aren’t talking about TFA. There was a lot more hype and excitement for Frozen for instance (but then again, Japan loves Disney).
    I do think it will be a box office success, but I doubt it will beat TPM…. we’ll have to wait and see.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  13. queenofhollywood

queenofhollywood Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 11, 2015
    Hard to say. I think the hype is different this time. Not sure if there's more or not, but after so many people were disappointed with the prequels, it feels like some people are very hesitant. Whereas for TPM, people were only hopeful and happy.

Wally44 likes this.
  14. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Since TPM hype has been described pretty extensively on this forum, I won't go into that. But I do want to add one thing that doesn't often get mentioned, and is a reason I always feel TPM hype will never be matched.

Realize that for the longest time the big elephant in the room concerning Star Wars was that it began on Episode IV, which obviously indicated that three entries in the series lead up to what we saw in the OT. It was in the back of every Star Wars fan's mind and a constant question about what could possibly have come before ANH. Especially because many fans were interested in the story arc of the central most intriguing character in Vader/Anakin, and wanted to see what happened and how he became that way. In some ways, the OT never quite felt complete, and it was always a question of when, not if, these earlier entires would come out. That pot boiled for 20+ years spanning two generations, and finally when it was announced that Episode I would be coming out, the pot finally boiled over in excitement and anticipation.

With TFA, there isn't that sense of inevitability to it, no lingering questions or loose ends since the last installment. We could go decades without an Episode VII, there could be an announcement that there will be no additional episodes at all, and there wouldn't be much of a fuss about it. Sure, every now and then there might be some inquiries about a possible continuation of the saga, there would certainly be fan speculation about what happened after ROTJ, but that's it.

So while there certainly is a great amount of hype and excitement for TFA, there isn't that must have sense about it.

LUH-3417 and Gus X like this.
  15. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I would say that the hype level is about the same. One critical difference is that the hype for the phantom menace was more about Star Wars as a saga. The impression I get now is that the hype for the force awakens is much more closely tied to the original trilogy, whilst simultaneously criticizing the prequel trilogy or rather pretending it never happened. It seems like there was much more focus on the future of Star Wars back then. We just did not know what direction Lucas would go. Now there seems to be this nostalgic looking back to the "old days" there is this excitement for making a movie by doing things the "old ways" and so on.

Gus X likes this.
  16. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Even though we always knew Lucas envisioned a nine episode saga, both times I didn't expect to see a Star Wars film ever again. When TPM was announced, I was excited. There was probably more of a chance we'd see that trilogy come to fruition as opposed to the Sequel Trilogy. Now, here comes TFA. I didn't think this would happen at all. So I'm excited. I can't say which one I was more excited for but I didn't see either one happening. Thank God they did.

Gus X likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It is hard to tell. I am experiencing both as an adult (27 for TPM, and I'm about to turn 44), and it feels like the same level of hype, but a bit different as far as what people are anticipating. With TPM, people were looking to finally get the back story that we were told about in the OT. We had gotten the buildup from "Star Wars on the big screen again!" from the special editions two years earlier. Now, we're getting the hype from another new Star Wars movie but it has come with baggage. It's not a Lucas creation, and people have differing opinions on that, along with opinions about Disney and the old EU. But nobody thought we would ever see a new Star Wars movie again so that excitement trumps all I think.

Skellybobs and Gus X like this.
  18. Gus X

Gus X Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 24, 2014
    I think these two comments nail it.

and this...

Although some have tried, there is no way to quantify which movie has the bigger hype. I think what we can say is that the hype is different for each type of Star Wars fan: a) Those old enough to have seen the originals in the theater, b) Those who grew up with the Prequels (born between 1986 & 2005) and c) the rest who only really have Clone Wars and Rebels. Mind you, I am not downplaying any of these segments as I am sure a 10 year old could love Rebels just much as any of us loved seeing Han and Chewie back in the old days.

That being said, this is perhaps another reason why this topic is so fascinating.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have a 10-year-old son who got into Star Wars via my showing him the films, plus TCW. And an 8-year-old son who really is not into Star Wars but is coming to the movie because I'm bribing him with popcorn and candy. It will be interesting to see how each generation reacts to the new films.

20. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I've actually thought about this a lot trying to decide which I was more excited for, but it's hard to compare the experiences not only because of how different the world is now but also comparing the mindsets of a junior in high school and a new father in his mid 30's. I think I'm more excited for this one because of the return of the original cast and because I was certain there would never be another Star Wars movie after ROTS, but again it's hard to compare experiences. I also think there is this hope that it will be more embraced than the PT has been, which makes it seem more important (for lack of a better word) than TPM was when it came out.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  21. BOBA-FETT-82

BOBA-FETT-82 Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 19, 2002
    One extra reason for TPM was back in 1999 the huge, big budget sci-fi fantasy movies were few and far between. Now they are the norm. Just look at the movies we have to look forward to in 2016 for people who love the genre: Deadpool, Batman V Superman, Civil War, X-Men Apocalypse, Suicide Squad, Doctor Strange, Rogue One, and many more. In 1999 we had TPM, The Matrix and The Mummy.

22. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

That's an interesting spin though. My wife was pregnant with my oldest when RotS came out. I went into that movie knowing that I would never take my children to a Star Wars movie with me. When I bought my premiere tickets, they were all around the computer making sure I got one for them. When 18-year-old me waited in line for TPM, I was with a bunch of guys, and to be quite honest, we probably all needed a shower. The company is much more important this time.

23. Padawan Coalesce

Padawan Coalesce Jedi Master star 1

Jun 18, 1999
    I don't recall seeing so much Star Wars stuff for sale EVERYWHERE last time, nor the number of people wearing Star Wars shirts. We had a waiter at Kerby Lane restaurant wearing a light saber on his belt the other day. I once heard Kevin Smith talking about how comic book movies have made comic book heroes cool, when before they were just something for geeks and fanboys. It seems to have crossed over and pushed SW mania to another level.

24. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    TPM hype was much bigger. Disney is better at advertising and has a more diversified brand name, that's it really. But TPM was way bigger. Why?

You have to go back to '90s to understand. For one, there wasn't NFLX, On-Demand, TiVo, DVD or BluRay. From 1983-1999, a whole generation of people still watched movies on VHS tapes in their VCR. Or they relied on TV Guide to watch movies at their broadcast times on television. And none of that could replicate the experience people had watching the films when they first came out in theaters. Moreover, high-end VFX weren't abundant throughout other movies. All the way up until 1999, the visual effects in ROTJ were still cutting edge. Star Wars was simply legendary and unequaled in all of action adventure sci-fi moviemaking.

And finally, the franchise had been flawless to that point. Sure there were people who considered it nerdy and were anti-Star Wars, but most people who liked the films were united in their fondness for them. There was no rift among the fan base. George Lucas could do no wrong and was admired by all. The man had made 3 brilliant films, how could anyone expect he would mess up the new ones? Everyone expected TPM to be just as good if not better than its predecessors.

And then the prequels came out and ... for many ... ruined everything. Some people like them, and if that's you, hey do your thing. Most people find them terrible though and regardless they certainly caused a rift in the fanbase. The SE changes, the elimination of the OOT, the prequels, the revisionist history throughout the films to make the originals "match" with the new ones, the inconsistencies ... I mean we could go on and on but they have really divided the fan base.

And now of course we've had many other films with CGI and brilliant VFX. It's no longer new to see such amazing shots in movies. DVD, BluRay, TiVo, NFLX, streaming on the internet; access to films is a lot different nowadays. I'd say its impossible for TFA in 2015 to match the hype of TPM in 1999.

25. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000

My feelings towards the prequels and TPM in particular is complicated but what you've said just isn't true. Gallup polled people around the time of TPM's release. Maybe their sample was just dodgy but the results show that the reception was overwhelmingly positive.

If you hate them, just as you said, do your thing but unless you've got reliable data to back it up then I can confidently say you got your "some" and "most" there the wrong way round. Most people like them and some think they're terrible. If we're really going to be honest, that's just as true for Return of the Jedi.

A lot of people know that there's a good chance they won't enjoy the film all that much. Maybe that's why the hype seems stronger. People rallying behind Star Wars like this is an act of faith.