Hyped Up Games That Disappointed You

Discussion in 'Games' started by Valyn, Feb 17, 2012.

1. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Speaking of old games, you seem to enjoy TIE Fighter an awful lot. :p

Anyway: MW3. Loved the first one. Loved the second one. The third one has some pretty random glitches (like my rifle would just start firing after reloading) and seems lazily made until at least halfway through the game. There just isn't any real urgency or energy to the first half of the game; gone is trying to escape from a sinking cargo ship while the entire screen is at a 45-degree angle, or having to run through a village full of Russian baddies to get to the helicopter, or trying to find your way through a maze of shacks in Rio, or firefights in a faux Burger King in the middle of the USA; it just becomes a series of prettily-animated scenes without anything particularly interesting going on. I assume this is because of the split between the original IW guys and Activision; it's a shame.

2. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    Ahem, I enjoyed it, back in the day. I'm pretty sure I no longer have it, nor could I play it properly if I did. Whether I'd be able to enjoy it again it's debatabale...unless it were to had a serious graphics overhaul. :D *wink wink, nudge nudge, Lucasarts*

Ah, who am I kidding, LA nowadays is a joke and the chances of something like a TIE Fighter remake happening are as good as snowball's in hell.
  3. Shepherd492 Jedi Master

star 1
    I'm not sure if/how Morrowind will run on the 360...I'm a PC gamer first and only. The Elder Scrolls games are infinitely better on the PC because you have access to the modding community...you can fix alot of bugs or just change the games to look a little better. Oblivion is better than Morrowind in terms of some REALLY well scripted quests, but there isn't much else it has going for it. Not a bad game but definitely lesser of the two.

As for whether or not you'll enjoy it, it really comes down to the graphics and whether or not you can handle a game with no voice acting (you have to read all of the conversations with NPCs.) In terms of gameplay it holds up very, very well with modern games. The expansions are fun too- they were made back when games actually had expansion packs and not just 2 dollar weapon dlc or whatever.
  4. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    Speaking of mods, someone joined my dead island game on xbox live a month or so ago, and he was armed with some serious modded weapons. He managed to copy one and give it to me (a pistol with unlimited ammo and instant-shot kills).

I'd never seen modded weapons on xbox live before--though I'd heard rumors of modded pistols for l4d years ago.
  5. jacktherack Force Ghost

star 4
    Red dead redemption, terrible game. red dead revolver was a million times better and the a-holes won't let me play it on my 360 :mad:
    second prototype i totally bought into the hype. shame on me...
  6. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
  7. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah, pretty much. Unless they have some special armor that can withstand a lightsaber, (what is it, cotorsis weave?) the lightsaber should be a one-hit kill. Maybe 2.
    As for the story, I didn't even get that far, and I'm not going to go into all the EU contradictions with the movies with the games with itself. To me, the whole thing felt like it was written to appeal to tweeners with no thought to continuity--just make it look cool and they won't notice that it tastes like dog food.
  8. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5

In the Dark Forces/JK games, stormies usually fell (sometimes in several pieces) with one swipe from a lightsaber or from a lightsaber throw. Sometimes Dark Jedi/Reborn enemies fell after a few swipes and sometimes with just one after a well placed blow. But honestly, comparing one series againt another is like comparing apples and oranges. In other words...JK series = win, FU = Ultimate f.u. fail.
  9. Alpha-Red Force Ghost

star 5
    I might get some flak but....Mass Effect 2. I just felt the story was too contrived, especially with regards to the Collectors abducting humans to feed into creating a Reaper. The Reapers being explained as organic/mechanical hybrids simply made no sense whatsoever, and Bioware seemed to be going out of its way just to make the Collectors seem as horrifying as possible.

Shepard also seemed to go from being an ordinary soldier being placed in extraordinary circumstances in ME1, to being this gung-ho superhero in ME2. Many of the plot elements also simply felt like they were too conveniently hand-delivered to me by the writers. Anyway, I could go on and on....
  10. MercenaryAce Force Ghost

star 5
    Half-Life 2: The strange thing is that I saw all the things that people praised the game for...I can't even put my finger on why I didn't like it, but it is one of the few games I never felt guilty about not finishing.
  11. JediMatteus Force Ghost

star 4
    it is funny because i liked KOTOR 2 much better than KOTOR 1. It fixed all the weaknesses of the first one and added prestige classes. Awesome game.
    From what i hear ME 3 is going to be a bit of a letdown. we'll see. I thought Dues Ex 2 was a bit of a disappointment. But Dues Ex 3 was awesome.