main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hyperspace anamoly at edge of galaxy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by veamon69, Aug 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. veamon69

veamon69 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2005
    What is it? It just a border that surrounds the galaxy that for some reason they can't penetrate? If so, then it seems almost like a physical barrier. And does does it just surround the edges, or the whole galaxy (like having the galaxy at the core, and the barrier surrounding it from all sides)?

2. VaapadMaster

VaapadMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 12, 2004
    No one's really sure exactly what it is. There's a few theories though. One that I recall is that the entire galaxy's gravity causes a gravity well in hyperspace, thus not allowing any ship to escape through hyperspace. Theoretically, I believe, a ship could escape the galaxy in realspace, but that just takes far too long. If I'm not mistaken, this is what the Outbound Flight was supposed to do.

Also, I think the well surrounds the entire galaxy, not just the "sides".

3. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    I'll quote something I posted a while back in a discussion about this very topic, regarding the Yuuzhan Vong and Outbound Flight (that is, trying to reconcile the two views):
    - Keralys

4. Fist_of_Mandalore

Fist_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2005
    Six engines=easier able to exscape massove gravity wall through realspace? I wish I was smart enough to be a fleet junkie...I'll jjust settle to be a Fandalorian then I huess. Di'kula... ;)

5. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    We don't really know all that much about it. We do know that both the Vong and Nagai have been penetrating it for thousands of years prior to ANH.

It seems that it's merely the tech level of the GFFA that has yet been unable to penetrate the galactic barrier, not that there's some impossible-to-cross galactic mine-field that zaps anyone who tries to go through it or anything.

6. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    the esstential guide to species said the Nagai lied about that. The YV have a completely diffrent technological basis, mabye more suited to travling between galaxies. I think the outbound flight was going to map the unlown regions on their way out.

7. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    There is no barrier, its existance is just a bad rumor.

8. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    A more likely explanation is that people who went beyond it never returned for whatever reason, or those who did return, it never went down on the records. (Hey, with 25000 yrs of Galactic History, there's bound to be something missing. *cough, Ruusan Reformation, cough*)

9. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    The only problem with the galaxy itself creating a mass shadow to prevent escape is that it would include the interior of the galaxy as well, which as we know is not the case.

The theory I have long held to is that without the galaxy's stars and planetoids acting as anchors and coordinates for hyperspace travel, one could not successfully plot and therefore not engage your hyperdrive. To bypass navigation and simply slip into hyperspace might be an option, but with no orientation and no mass shadows to help pull you out other then your own hyperdrive motivator (which, incidentally may not be sufficient in a ZERO gravity environment) you could essentially vanish into hyperspace of the void between the galaxies.

It's not really a barrier...just a reasonable *point of no return*

*note* I better not hear of someone making a reference to the "great barrier" in Star Trek 5 while discussing this topic. I know idiots who make that connection...WRONG!

10. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    It wouldn't be that hard to chart your position (GFFA timing devices should be accurate enough, so you just take the time your traveled and the speed you were travelling at to get a relative position)

And for all we know, some SW subluminal sensors could probably reach far out enough to pick up on a lone star cluster or something.

Travel to extragalactic places is possible. The IGBC maintains storage vault worlds in one of the satelite galaxies (granted, that isn't exactly extragal)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.