main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orlando, FL Hyperspace and the StarWars.com Message Boards

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Sabacc, Jul 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabacc

Sabacc Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Anybody 'round these parts made the jump to Hyperspace yet? I'm very satisfied with what I'm getting out of it. The price of admission ($20/year) has been as good a deal (for me) as my Insider subscription. What's the thought around the table?

Also, those of you who have accounts over at the official site Message Boards, there's a thread that's all about people's opinions about Celebration III. I'm lobbying in there for the event to come to Orlando. If you agree, I invite you to join the effort and put in your 2¢. (If you disagree, please speak no evil). =) -Campbell

2. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Can't see giving Lucas more money for some of his table scraps that will probably be available on a DVD anyway. Glad you're enjoying it though :)

3. Pikaroth

Pikaroth Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2002
    I "made the jump," as well. It is *well* worth the $20.00 a year. Had it been a monthly fee or anything, then I would have not done it. But for twenty bucks? Even starving kids in school should be able to afford that. The write-ups are great, and, amazingly, rather informative, and the webcam is, obviously, the main draw for most people. To see Peter Mayhew getting fitted for Chewbacca is great, as was seeing Anakin. To see a glimpse of the sets is fun, too.

I have yet to take part in the forums on there, but I will now that you bring it up. No matter what we do, I highly doubt it will come to Orlando, but it seems like it would be a great place (Disney, vacation destination, etc.), so we'll see.

So, yes, I am on there as well, and I love it. I was against it at first, and then I simply did not care, but after reading about what everyone was seeing, I just had to take the chance, and the chance turned out to be good.

Brandon
    bwolgast@cfl.rr.com

4. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    I can understand mixed feelings about Hyperspace costing money. Brandon and I agree on the value of it. I was initially not going to continue my membership past the free trial and was a bit unhappy that the Maker was twisting our arms, or so I thought. Now I'm getting a great deal out of it, but I think it depends on what you're into.

It's important to note that StarWars.com is still updating at the same rate they used to and still features all the original content free. But I can honestly see what we're paying for in Hyperspace. The guy, Pablo, who maintains the webcam and writes the set diaries makes regular appearances on the message boards, to the extent that it's not that hard to get answers directly from him (not that he's always able to answer directly), is a great fan-on-the-inside.

For a spoiler hound it's great; we're getting spy reports from the inside with higher quality images and info than ever before. Makes me feel like I'm going along on the ride, more than passively waiting for the next movie.

On the other hand, if that's not your thing, don't get it. I have several friends that don't want to know a thing about the movie till they walk through the theater door- even avoiding trailers. That's cool. More power to 'em.

I just think it's a shame that people are bashing it on the basis that it costs 5¢ a day. For me, and I know it's an opinion, I'll pay that to avoid the pop-ups, to have a dedicated staff that updates the site very often, and for that e-mail address.

Honorable Q99213, this wasn't directed at your post at all. I just want people to know what they will get if they are considering it. I agree that those things that are significant will make it onto future releases of the movie, but I'm digging the "now" of it, if you take my meaning. I also, believe it or not, was irritated when the Ahmed Best Ep2 web docs didn't make it onto the DVD, and I'll covet my laserdiscs until all the special features end up on DVD.

Pikaroth, I think I may occasionally give you a run for your money on the long post. :)

5. Skaught

Skaught Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2001
    The problem with having SWCIII in Florida is we're way down in the corner. Colorado and Indy are more central to the rest of the country, which is the idea. More people can drive to Indy in half a day than can drive to Orlando. Of course, Orlando is a much bigger tourist draw due to Disney and the other parks (Disney would make a killing at MGM Studios), but I don't think that would be enough to outweigh the extra effort it would take to get people down here.

Scott

6. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    This might not make a ton of sense to people that have not subscribed to Hyperspace, but one of the reasons I like it so much is because, so far at least, there have been nothing I would call "spoilers." Seeing actors get in and out of makeup, sets being built, a few scenes being filmed, some other cool stuff, none of that will amount to the number of "spoilers" the first trailer will hold.

It is one of those things where subscribers are getting a wealth of information, but nothing that would hurt the first viewing of Episode III if you wish to remain spoiler free.

I happen to be one of those people that avidly avoid spoilers. I'm not ridiculous enough to not read Star Wars Insider or watch the trailers, but will I go looking for scripts and such? No, of course, not. If Hyperspace ever reveals some major information, which I doubt they will, then I will probably be very careful when visiting the site in the future.

Anyway, like I said, if anyone is afraid of spoilers on Hyperpsace, don't be. It is giving a great insight into the filming of this final chapter without ruining anything in regards to seeing it on the big screen.

Plus, I'm going to predict now that subscribers will be able to view/download the trailers before others, even before they appear in the theater...

Brandon
    bwolgast@cfl.rr.com

7. Lewis_Black

Lewis_Black Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 6, 2002
    Two will get you twenty that as soon as the trailer is available on Hyperspace, the rest of us will get it off of Kazaa and Morpheus.

8. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    For those interested, Hyperspace has introduced a contest called Jump to Sydney where we can enter a short essay to win a weeklong trip to Sydney that includes a a day on set. No word on whether Kazaa or Morpheus will be featuring a similar contest.

9. AdmlDave

AdmlDave Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2003
    Kazaa may not be able to send you to Sydney, but if you are one of the most loyal of users, you can win a trip to Washington D.C. to appear in your own Supreme Court trial for copyright infringment. Along with the as-of-yet unknown length of your trip, you will even come away with hunreds of thousands of dollars in fines. $150,000 per song that you, the loyal Kazaa user, has downloaded. Also included in this once in a life time offer is your own lawyer provided for you by the state in the case that you cannot afford your own. After your lengthy Supreme Court trial, you will be entered to win an all expenses paid trip to a Federal Prison. The contest will be judged by 7 U.S. Government officials, all of which were chosen by the one and only President of the United States of America, George W. Bush. If you win that contest, or you are "convicted" as we like to call it, then you will spend anywhere from 10-50 years in a luxurious minimum security prison. As an extra special bonus, we'll even throw in an official U.S. Government "soap on a rope" for getting this far in our contest.

Enter now, all you have to do is download as many MP3's as possible from Kazaa. Offer is void for any non citizens of the United States. Chances of winning are directly proportional to the number of "entries" you make. You must be 18 years or older to advance past the "Supreme Court trial" phase of this contest. If you are under 18 years of age, you will be sent to an alternate "Juvenile" prison facility.

10. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    Hyperspace has continued to be fun. Last night (Wednesday) was a chat with Anthony Daniels and the night before was with Don Bies. I got in only one question with AD, but it's nice to've been noticed.

Not much worth seeing on the webcam lately, mostly set construction and the occasional personality leaving a message or just saying Hi. A week ago while watching the Costume Shop, Jango in full regalia showed up at the sewing machine. Turns out that was Bies. The crew and some of the cast seem to really enjoy interacting with the webcam.

Lastly, I've won a few people over with my Orlando-selling on the Celebration III thread. I know it won't grow fast enough to change any of Lucasfilm's plans, but there're several people who've written me after getting excited by the notion of it being here. Sometime in August the official word of C3's location will be announced. I'm a definite for this thing. Anybody else feel that strongly?

11. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    and one more thing.

I announced our meeting on the official fan activities forum. So far 2 people have responded. I don't think it'll bring anybody for certain, but I'm starting to be frustrated at how few local Star Wars fans know anything about these TF.n boards.

To look at the activity in the Orlando System's boards you'd think there were only a handful of serious fans around here. There are many, many fans- heck that's why I have so much trouble picking up toys, there are a lot of hunters running. So that's why I'm focussing more on the official boards. I figure more people might find the official fan boards. Now if we can just find some more locals.

12. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    Got another bite. Sharon Bronson, of TradeFederation.net just found out about us by the board I started at TOS message boards. If anybody decides to go on them, drop a line. http://forums.starwars.com/thread.jsp?forum=2&thread=131262

By the way, the Jump to Sydney sweepstakes deadline for entry is Sunday night at 11:59pm.

13. Ia-Bou

Ia-Bou Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2001
    gee, I really wish I could read those messages but my ADD is starting to kick in :p

Ia

14. Ruckus

Ruckus Jedi Master star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    At least you only have... what was it again? Ooooh a butterfly.

15. Ia-Bou

Ia-Bou Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2001
    wow... a one sentence post :p

16. Ruckus

Ruckus Jedi Master star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    There goes that butterfly again.... :p

Turk 182

17. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    Anybody that checks Hyperspace: Have you noticed how timely the Bantha Tracks are? They're reprinting them online sequentially. The current one talks about Michael Jackson (a popstar who has recently made the news a bit [joke]) and the making of Captain Eo and the last couple have featured Ewok and Droids cartoon info (just as we are viewing CLONE WARS).

Also, I got a laugh from this week's issue #30 library propaganda (since I'm the resident library freak): http://www.starwars.com/hyperspace/member/banthatracks/bt30/indexp3.html

-Campbell

18. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    Brandon, did you catch the 2nd documentary short? I had completely forgotten about them, was bored at work Xmas night and had time to load them. I watched the 2nd one first and it was wonderful. Lots of new looks and snippets of interviews. It was great to see the makeup work done on Obi-Wan and the efforts of Nick Gillard and co. This will be a pleasure to see on the DVD.

I'd even missed your posting about the first one, and I'm not even certain how. Either way, it's yet another great benefit of Hs. (Though it's fair to say this sort of thing would have been free prior to the last prequels). -Campbell

19. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    Yes, the second one was great. Lucas playing "bang bang" with the new blasters, Anakin's long hair, short hair, whatever hair. The set they're on, Lucas stating what is indoors and what is outdoors.

My favorite was when he went to the alien department and spoke about the new wookiees! This might be a spoiler, so don't read on unless you want to, wait, hell, it's not a spoiler, it's on Hyperspace for all to see (if you pay $20 a year), but Chewbacca is considered a *short* wookiee! All the other wookiees are taller (easier to find taller people nowadays). I always knew Chewbacca was the runt of the litter. =)

Brandon

20. raiza123

raiza123 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2003
    I visited this section for the first time last night and have to say it was very interesting. All the pics, fan drawings, etc. are great. Two thumbs up.
    Melanie

21. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    Pablo Hidalgo, the internet content developer for Lucasfilm has a great column here:
    http://forums.starwars.com/thread.jsp?forum=78&thread=155326

It gives us an opportunity to ask Lucasfilm just about anything and is a nice way to ask for various confirmation, clarifications, denials, and recipes. Take a look at the questions asked so far. It's very informal, but Hidalgo gives good answers.

22. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    Being excited by a picture like this is just a further lacquer on my fanboy veneer.

http://www.starwars.com/hyperspace/member/bth/2004/02/bth20040212.html

Yeehaw! Only 466 more days!

23. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    The fourth webdoc about e3 os online now. It's about General Grievous, which in my book, totally makes the existence of the character a non-spoiler. I liked the 4 minute program, but I was most impressed with the banner originally on the page that links to it. It showed a close-up of the organic cat-eyes of GG behind the e1-3PO-looking faceplate which in that capacity is suitably haunting.
    -Campbell

here's the link:http://www.starwars.com/hyperspace/member/me3/4.html

24. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    I agree, and I loved what they showed, especially the design process (the little kid surrounded by IG-88s?! Cool!)

I also agree in that General Grievious is *no longer* a spoiler. I, for one, will speak of him openly from now on.

Brandon

25. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Especially since he is due to make an appearance in the Clone Wars cartoon.

L8r

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.