main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hyperspace Chat with Genndy Tartakovsky and Paul Rudish on Thurs, Nov 6th at 10.30am PT (1.30pm ET).

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Everton, Nov 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    The Star Wars: Clone Wars micro-series is almost here. This week, Hyperspace members will have first online access of the action-packed animated shorts from Lucasfilm Ltd. and The Cartoon Network. Before that, though, subscribers will have a chance to chat online with the creators of the series, Producer/Director Genndy Tartakovsky and Art Director Paul Rudish.

Genndy Tartakovsky is the creative mind behind the critically acclaimed "Dexter's Laboratory" and "Samurai Jack " series on The Cartoon Network. He has also worked as a director on "The Powerpuff Girls." Paul Rudish is serving as Art Director on Star Wars: Clone Wars, establishing the distinctive look of the new series. He too worked on "Samurai Jack," "Dexter's Laboratory" and "The Powerpuff Girls."

:D

2. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    This is great news, I've awaiting this one for quite some time.

For those of you without HS, I will be more than happy to post some of your questions (if I like them) :p

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Just a reminder, AFTER the chat please remember to not post direct quotes or other Hyperspace material within the Forums.

Please DO, however, feel free to "summarize" the contents of the chat and post that up. :)

4. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    yeah. I definently need to get hyperspace...

5. wstraka5

wstraka5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2002
    Could someone ask Tartakovsky if it is true that he is leaving CN for LFL?? I know it is a rumor at this point, but it might be good to see if we can confirm or deny it from the man himself.

Article below from Animation Blast

ANIMATION BLAST REALLY HUGE RUMOR OF THE DAY! --- Genndy Leaves Cartoon Network For Lucasfilm?

This could be big news. I've yet to confirm this story, and there is a chance it could be completely UNTRUE, but a reliable source informs me that SAMURAI JACK and DEXTER'S LAB creator Genndy Tartakovsky is leaving (has left?) Cartoon Network and is joining the new division of Lucasfilm specializing in animated features called Lucasfilm Animation. Genndy, of course, is also the director/producer of Cartoon Network's highly touted forthcoming STAR WARS: CLONE WARS mini-series (produced at Cartoon Network Studios and not Lucasfilm). Once again, I must stress that this is UNconfirmed and only hearsay at this moment, but if anybody can validate or refute this claim, drop me a line at amid&animationblast.com (replace & with @).

6. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    Interesting stuff!

7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Well, LFL did start up LucasFilm Animation earlier this year - so that piece at least has some truth to it...

There's a bit of discussion on the division here, in the LucasFilm Projects board.

8. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    It has begun, and I've just submitted some questions.

9. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    It's over, my questions never got answered :(

Just for you guys, I've made this summary, if it's not summarised enough, I'm sure Deepee will edit it :)

? Genndy and Paul say the most exciting part about making the Clone Wars was trying to duplicate, and make it feel like, Star Wars.

? Everything in the cartoon is hand-drawn apart from the spaceships, which are digital but cel-shaded.

? Paul has been a fan since 1977, but Genndy didn?t see the film until late 1978, but e was a fan from then on.

? Neither of them have seen the Ep3 Script

? Anakin was the hardest character to portray. While Obi-Wan was a solid hero, Anakin can be bratty and rebellious, but also they need to hint at what Anakin will become.

? The reason they went back to the black lines after Jack, is to make sure Jack and Clone Wars have some differencies.

? There?s not a whole lot of Dooku in the series, though he does have some action, and we can see that he pulling the strings.

? This is not a kids cartoon, not an adult cartoon. It works sort of like the old Jonny Quest series, which works for both ages, as does the Star Wars films.

? Paul says the series won?t make people think any more or any less of Star Wars.

? We see Neimodiens, Quarrens, Muuns and San Hill on the Seperist side in the cartoon.

? Animation sells will not be available to buy, as they are no longer used while making cartoons. Instead, the image is drawn then scanned into a computer.

? There are no new characters or vehicles in the series (are they trying to cover up for something here?) that will be in Ep3, but there is character development that may lead into Episode 3.

? CN and Lucasfilm first started talking about the idea in Aug. 2002. Tartakovsky was brought into the discussion in October of that year.

? Neither of them know who?s idea (Lucasfilm or CN) it was to make a cartoon.

? Dexter (?s Lab, not Jettster) built Threepio, not Anakin :p

? A DVD will be produced hopefully, everything is, but there are no official plans yet.

? Genndy thinks an Indiana Jones cartoon would be fun and that Indy is a great character, but Paul says he prefers drawing robots than men in Fedora?s.

? Both would enjoy making cartoons of the different eras: Han/Chewie years, the day after the medal ceremony, baby Obi-Wan, Padawan Yoda, and Jar Jar Junior High.

? Although there is only 20 episodes planned so far, Genndy thinks there is a good chance of more being made.

? The music is taken from all the films, especially AOTC, but some of it ahs been re-orchestrated to fit it in with the picture

? There will not be split-screen times like in Jack, as they are trying to make it resemble Star Wars as much as possible

? The backgrounds are painted traditionally, the characters are drawn in Photoshop. They are composited in Toonz

? There are no points at this time to develop the Clone Wars into a 30-min series.

? When asked if they would be attending Celebration III, they say they haven?t been invited yet, and they haven?t had their invitations for the Ep3 premiere.

? Frank Oz is not playing Yoda, but Barriss and Luminara get their own mini-adventure.

? Boba Fett isn?t in the series, but the ARC?s show plenty of Mandalorian heritage.

? They didn?t have much trouble preserving continuity.

? There is a version of ?I have a bad feeling about this? in the series, as is ?I have you now?

? Luminara, Barriss, Shaak and Aayla all have a line or two, so they got to decide what they sound like.

? It took about 6 months to get from concept art to finished product

? The Imperial March is in the series

? Anthony Daniels is playing the voice of Threepio

? They managed to come up with some original characters such as Gladiators, robots, and not-too-important people, Jedi will be coming later on aswell.

? They didn?t take any references from the Clone Wars comics, though they did take some stuff from the Art of Star Wars book.

? ?Choose your Jedi? is a vote for one of the 3 Jedi to appear in the series

? Sid

10. -Super_Battle_Droid-

-Super_Battle_Droid- Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2003
    That was an AWESOME chat, and I got one of my questions answered also!

11. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    That's a lot of stuff there. I thought that the chat went over well, although there were some stupid questions that didn't pertain to star wars...

12. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    Ah, but remember Trilobite, these chat are with the people and their careers, not their Star Wars careers.

13. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    Bumping for those who want to read the chat highlights.

14. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Both would enjoy making cartoons of the different eras: ...the day after the medal ceremony...

I think our Rebel friends are all booked up (no pun intended) then. ;)

The music is taken from all the films, especially AOTC, but some of it [has] been re-orchestrated to fit it in with the picture

Um, for the first episode, yeah. The rest have all been new. I wish they'd have stuck to one or the other, personally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.