main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hyperspace travel times

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gladiuus, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gladiuus

Gladiuus Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2003
    They've been a bit incongruous for awhile, and RotS makes it even worse. How come Hyper-travel takes days or weeks in some sources, yet mere minutes in others? In CoPL the whole plot revolves around the Hapan fleet not being able to make it to Dathomir for a week or so, and in the Corellian Trilogy it takes the Solos days to make it from Coruscant to Corellia, which are pretty close by and connected (IIRC) by big well-traveled hyperlanes. In RotS, on the other hand, the characters travel to Mustafer, deep in the Outer Rim, from Coruscant in what seems to be no more than an hour or two and possibly even less time. So what gives? I realize that different hyperlanes could account for it, but it still seems odd. The TPM and ANH Tatooine-Coruscant/Alderaan trip also seems to take less than a day, and IIRC Tatooine isn't on any main hyperlanes.

And... was that a 'fresher Obi-Wan ducks into on Portman's skiff? Because that's what it looked like...

2. wookieepedian1

wookieepedian1 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2005
    Could it be due the types of hyperdrives. Maybe the Republic could afford more Class 4 hyperdrives, while other things were Class 1 to 2. However, I wouldn't know why the Falcon, the fastest ship in the galaxy, would take that long, when it made a Tatooine to Alderaan trip in hours.

3. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Gladiuus :

And... was that a 'fresher Obi-Wan ducks into on Portman's skiff? Because that's what it looked like...

That's what I was thinking too. I hope he had a copy of New Droid Weekly for the trip.

As for hyperspace times, lemme just paste my text from the "Clone Wars Timeline" thread...

Chalk it up to good hyperspace routes. In fact, it only took the Millenium Falcon about 3.5 hours to go from Tatooine ( Outer Rim ) to Alderaan ( Core Worlds ) in ANH, going by the old WEG hyperspace time-chart in the 2nd edition rulebook ( 1992. )

I would say that, on the average, most worlds in the Rim systems would take days to get to, but popular trade worlds ( Tatooine is certainly one-- to criminals, no matter how inconsequential it seems to the galaxy at large ) might have easily accesible routes due to massive traffic through the years. Worlds that are more hidden or have less frequent traffic would be littered with nebulae, asteroids, black holes and other galactic "debris" on their hyper-routes, which would "block" their paths until faster, more rapid hyper-routes could be found; and they won't, unless said planet becomes important and worthy enough to reach in a shorter time.

For the sake of the movies passing as little time as possible, I figure that any hyperspace jump to an Outer Rim world will take the most part of a day, at most, unless otherwise stated. Or if another source renders this differently. ( For example, to discover how much time really passes in ESB, you need to read Galaxy Guide 3: The Empire Strikes Back and Tales of the Bounty Hunters.

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    And the Ebon Hawk doesn't have a galley or toilet.

5. treeboyjedi

treeboyjedi Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2005
    not to derail but how much time does pass in ESB? i always figured it was closer to if not more than an entire year once Luke gets to Dagobah (i mean cmon, the falcon travels at sublight speeds to a neighboring system?? thats gonna take awhile even assuming sublight engines are 0.99% lightspeed and the system is 1 light year away...)

course why would the empire have "just arrived"

bah!

6. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I think my GG3 is unavailable at the moment, but, in a nutshell, the Falcon had to use its back-up hyperdrive, which is slower and less stable than the standard one.

So, it was a couple weeks, I think, from the beginning of ESB to the end.

7. treeboyjedi

treeboyjedi Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2005
    lame, so luke is on dagobah for what? a month tops?

pssh, Luke must have some mighty midichlorian innate talent in order for vader not to just completely squash him. course Vader isnt really tryin to kill him either...*sigh*

oh well, i'm still a luke fan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.