Hyperspace - will you or won't you?

Discussion in 'Cleveland, OH' started by DonC, May 30, 2003.

?

Hyperspace - will you or won't you?

Poll closed Jun 4, 2003.
Yes 2 vote(s) 14.3%
No 12 vote(s) 85.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonC Jedi Master

star 4
  2. DonC Jedi Master

star 4
    It's real simple, are you going to join starwars.com's Hyperspace section?

Having read the Q & A, I have to say no. The content looks uninteresting and $19.95 a year is WAY to much money for this.
  3. Krash RSA Emeritus

star 5
    Considering, my computer apparently doesn't have the Quicktime required to even watch the trailer...this particular Lucasfilm venture will not be getting my $20
  4. DonC Jedi Master

star 4
    Quicktime is a plug-in. You need to download it.
  5. Jade-Walker Jedi Master

star 4
    Maybe Krash's computer is like mine. I think mine is allergic to Quicktime. it doesn't matter if I download it or if I try to install it from a CD-ROM. It just doesn't take at all! Very frustrating.
    So that would be a "no" for me.
  6. Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus

star 5
    George should look at this poll. I'm feeling very abused by him anyway, so there is no way I'd pay. Pop-up ads on the regular site insult me. Paying hundreds and devouring books approved by him only to change his mind later ticks me off. The crass commercialization of what was once so dear. Yes, I'm the fool for buying into it, but I think he's gone to far and the wish for money really shows.
  7. JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Master

star 4
  8. TheRandomMenace Jedi Master

star 4
    I think for that kind of money, I'd rather get a year subscription of Maxim or FHM.
  9. Krash RSA Emeritus

star 5
    I understand his buisness approach to some of the decisions Lucasfilm has made, but I think they've gone a little too far with this.

To generate the kinda of money GL needs to finance a movie like TPM, AOTC, and now Episode III...GL has to be very careful about who profits from SW. If he played the "Hollywood game" he could just let the studio foot the bill..and they'd make crappy films like "Wing Commander" to finance TPM. But then, he's opening SW up to studio influence, because to find the decision maker in any situation...you have to "follow the money" And then you're trading creative vision for what "bean-counters" think will sell tickets...and Jar Jar Binks would be more like "Poochy, the dog" from The Simpsons
  10. Douz Jedi Knight

star 3
    Not a chance in hell.
  11. _-Reborn_Jedi-_ Jedi Master

star 3
    At first I thought it might be a good idea, but now I just think it's not really worth it. I get a better deal with the Star Wars Fan Club yearly membership. Besides, this stuff will all eventually be leaked out on the internet anyhow. And I just have too much stuff to pay right now (got a new car too, which is awesome, but more bills nonetheless). I'm afraid to say that I'm just not gonna support this one. I've put way too much money into collecting and stuff already!
  12. Padawan92 Jedi Master

star 4
    I think that I might want to get it...have you seen the official site...everything is almost all unreachable without hyperspace!! Not even the Bantha Tracks are free they are hyperspace...every little video or even a story is unreachable!!!!
  13. DonC Jedi Master

star 4
    To quote Greedo, Emily, "That's the idea."
  14. Anrev_the_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    A friend of Douz and Grn did something amazing with AOTC. He saw, read, or heard NOTHING!!! Not a web site, image, book, comic, music, or even trailer!!! NOTHING!!!!
    Now I'm not going to go to that extreme. I will look at the stuff in the insider, trailers, and music album but thats it. So No I wont be getting the hyperspace Spoiler page.
  15. Padawan92 Jedi Master

star 4
    I want to know official stuff and Starwars.com is as official as it gets so I am thinking about it.
  16. GrnJalera Jedi Knight

star 3
    I would urge EVERYONE not to do this. Because the next thing you know, StarTrek.com will start doing this. Then Cinescape.com. Then Comingsoon.net. Etc.

Besides, it's not like GL NEEDS more money.

"Just say no!"
  17. JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Master

star 4
    I DO like how they revamped the whole site, it looks cool.
  18. Padawan92 Jedi Master

star 4
    Why shouldn't other websites do this...its not like they HAVE to be doing this for us. They could not have a website or not share behind-th-scenes like this with us. So what if other websites do this then we have to pay for the information we get like we would anyother way!
  19. GrnJalera Jedi Knight

star 3
    Because they already get money from advertisers. Everytime you load their site and a pop-up comes up or you see an ad, they get money.

GL is a marketing genius - I'll give him that. I just ain't giving him anymore of my money than necessary. He already gets it from ticket sales, dvd's and toys.

20. Krash RSA Emeritus

star 5
    While I understand the buisness aspect of all this (and it IS a buisness) I think Lucasfilm really needs to cut down on the pop-up ads.

I wouldn't mind paying for something like this, if I knew the information was "exclusive" and unable to be pirated. After all the problems GL has had with other websites/former employees/and even TFN making a profit off his product...it becomes a matter of protecting your investment.

After looking at the preview of "Hyerspace" it's clear that ANYTHING pertaining to Episode III will be part of this service. I'm considering splitting the cost with my padawan...unless many of the Episode III news finds its way to Star Wars Insider
  21. Siri_Ruane Jedi Master

star 4
    I think the whole thig is bull. Just another way to make money.
  22. Krash RSA Emeritus

star 5
    After my padawan constantly asking/bugging:

Can we get Hyperspace???"

I finally signed up, and we're splitting the cost for the year...not a bad arrangment. So far, it's pretty cool. It took long enough to convince the site that I already have an existing account, and simply wish to upgrade.

As soon as I settle this concern over "Quicktime" on my computer (being stubborn) then all the video choices are going to be available.

EDIT: Post # 3300...wow, I have waaaay too much time to spend on the boards ;)
  23. Malo-ha Jedi Knight

star 2
    Don't feel bad Krash I signed up for it a few weeks ago. If you and Emily split it, its even cheaper. It's just a bit more than each of you would spend to see 1 non-matinee movie. I had a bit of trouble signing in for the first time but have not had any problems since. Have you watched the deleted scene yet? It was pretty good. And that was viewing it on my 5yr old, 64 MG computer with a dial up connection. It didn't take all that long to load either, for dialup that is.

I decided to give in since I knew I would anyway. When I signed up you could renew your Insider subscription at the same time and get both for $39.95. So you either get almost half off Hyperspace or $9 off your Insider subscription.

I don't have a problem paying for good content. Not having any ads or popups when I'm there is great. The Internet is a business, big business. If we weren't paying for Hyperspace then we wouldn't be seeing any of this stuff at all. We'd only be getting those little snippets we got when the first 2 films were shooting.
  24. TheRandomMenace Jedi Master

star 4
    Way to sell out. Now as Grn has pointed out, soon every other major website is going to start charging "admission" too. Bye bye every major franchise website.
  25. Krash RSA Emeritus

star 5
    Way to sell out
    Why is this "selling out" as opposed to any other kind of purchase? For years, people have used the internet as a kinda "freebie" where they can take information (in this case movie production news) and in some cases...profit themselves. GL and Lucasfilm have every right to protect thier investment. And if $20 a year gets me access to Episode III news...and GL makes the money HE EARNED with SW, what's the problem? Don't take the "high and mighty" approach towards this...just because someone decided to protect their product.

soon every other major website is going to start charging "admission" too
    What is the problem with that? Why do you think advertisers pay so much for time during the Superbowl? Because they know people will see their product...and percentages say more people will buy it because of being seen . The internet has gotten away with this "grey area" for too long...and Lucasfilm has taken steps to ensure they don't get ripped off (more power to them for that)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.