main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hypothetical situation

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Azeem, Apr 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    Okay...hypothetical situation here....

If we had a chance to show a reporter our fan films...who would in urn ..possibly... show them to George Lucas, which films would you choose:

We are using a blank CD 650 MB. The reporter wants a wide range of the best films here....so which films do you put on the CD?

2. fourfools

fourfools Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2000
    a variety, not nessassarily the absolute best.

i would say: knightquest
    troops, <---definetly
    Dark Skies,
    Rogue
    The New World
    SOD
    Duel of the Fakes or PA Wars maybe?

and get yourself a 700mb cd

3. JamesJin

JamesJin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2001
    Don't forget Duality and Broken Alligence. :)

James

4. Fremen

Fremen Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2001
    TWO NESS! wait no. never mind...

Ok, one would be Duality, to show the great special effects we can do with our resources.

Next would be dark Redemption, and BA. And when it comes out, Tydirium!!

;)
    Kyle

5. Ptx

Ptx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 19, 2000
    I thought he had already seen Troops.

Duality
    Broken Allegience
    Knightquest
    Star Dudes Trilogy
    PA Wars
    Bounty Trail
    Desert Duel

Pete

6. Azeem

Apr 12, 1999
    I meant right now...Tydirium isn't out yet. If you want the Trailer added, say that.

and Duality can't be added...its not on the site.

Check your Math, I think you are leaving the CD somewhat blank...

7. ObiMcD

ObiMcD Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I would say KQ, BA, PA Wars, and DR

8. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    I would definatley add teh tydirium trailer

9. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Ok, we need a selection which would cover a whole range of topics, so we need serious as well as comedy, good story ones, good FX ones, good acting ones...(cancel that), good fights, animation, as well as real film, as well as some from all over the world.

So we need

BA (great story and FX)
    Question of Faith (great fighting)
    Duel of the Fakes (better than PA wars IMHO)
    TESBY (cos it's mine! (and it's got George Lucas in it!))
    Disturbance of the Force (otherwise we'll get sued :p )
    Legacy of the Jedi (Bet he won't see THAT ending coming)
    Star Dudes (can't fault that one)
    The Phantom Edit (tee hee)
    When Senators Attack (no budget, but damned funny)
    Fan Wars (first film I saw, so it has a soft spot)
    Jedi Who Loved Me (A British film, centred around a real life marriage - how romantic)

I have deliberately not included Troops, Bounty Trail, and Duality because I'm sure he has already seen these ones

10. Fremen

Fremen Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2001
    What a nice way of putting it thank you. I didn't notice you said NOW, but yah sure put the trailer in.

;)
    Kyle

11. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Well, at the very least, you should put the TESBY Mockumentary on. It's certainly original, and I'd love to know what GL thinks of that! :D

12. Azeem

Apr 12, 1999
    Screw it, I'll let the cat out of the bag...

The Chicago Tribune has asked for a CD of our best and assorted stuff. The reporter is going to show them to GL at some time. Don't know if its an interview or what.

I have to make this thing tonight to put in the mail tomorrow.

13. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    FRIGGIN AMAZING.

This is great news... I'd say whereas Atomfilms is kind of a Niche thing, the Chicago Tribune is something that everyone reads...

PLUS GL will get to see the real work done here...

How's THAT for recognition.

Cya
    Mike

14. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Cool Azeem. As for which ones, you'll never get a consensus, so I would just decide for yourself.

Just put a nice broad cross section of stuff in there (serious, comedy and 'cartoons') I guess.

Things like Star Dudes and Console Wars are definates because they're only about 2MB between them...

What is the objective of showing George? Promotion for the site? Technical competance of amatuer film-makers? Creativity? etc

15. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
  16. SovereignKnight

SovereignKnight Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 17, 2001
    I'd love to be sitting there looking at the reaction on Uncle Georges face when he sees some of these. Personally, I don't believe he's personally seen any of the films we've all made. He's heard about them I'm sure. Troops and Duality and Bounty Trail to be certain. I doubt if he's ever taken the time to watch them though. One of two things could happen though. Either he would look at them and go "Hey! Those are my characters! I thought all fanfilms were parodies! Somebodies gonna pay!" Or, he would just smile in amused silence and dismiss them the way he does the EU. It would be interesting...

EDIT: On second thought, maybe he would see them and be impressed enough to create the Amateur Division of ILM for wannabe filmmakers. Like an internship before a real internship, or something. Maybe not then.

SK

17. DarkLordofSmith

DarkLordofSmith Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 27, 2001
    This worries me, if a paper is asking for exmmples to show GL, and GL looks at them, and see how far they've come, isn't there a chance that he might decide that if you want to do fan film that they can only be fone for AtomFilms, anything else would be illegal?

I might be overreacting, but this is my reaction to his.

18. Douz

Douz Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 15, 2000
    First, very exciting news for all of us fan film makers.

Second, I have to agree with Daft. I dont think that a consensus will be reached from the boards. Whatever films you choose Im sure will best represent the fan film community.

Although of course for one of the films I would have to say COTS...but I'll let that shameless plug die right here.

19. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    DarkLord: it's already technically illegal. That's why we can't make money off these films. As long as there's no profit to be had, he has no legal recourse since we're not profiting off him in any way.

M. Scott

20. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I knew it wasn't hypothetical...

Just show him Duality, Knightquest, and Broken Alliegance, we don't want to bore him out of his mind ;)

Just a few, make it short and sweet so that we don't leave a sour taste in his mouth :)

21. Azeem

Apr 12, 1999
    No Duality...its not on the site and we've been asked not to promote it in any way.

----

I was hoping someone could do a quick list with the file sizes so I wouldn't have to :)

I don't know why the Tribune reporter is doing this but Josh from the TFN staff talked to him and send the request to me.

I talked to him briefly and he wanted the best we had.

22. TheRealFennShysa

TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 7, 2000
    My takes on what to show:

PA WARS and/or DOTF (the original versions) - funny, pure and simple...
    KNIGHTQUEST and BROKEN ALLEGIANCE - the highest quality fiction films on the site... the best so far...
    CRAZY WATTO - short, to the point, shows what can be done with no budget, but still be funny...
    TROOPS - he's bound to have seen it, but still a classic...
    any of the STAR DUDES - great animation style...
    SACRIFICES - very effective and moving...

However, I doubt this reporter can get him to watch *ALL* of these... so my own recommendations would be to load up on short stuff... he may get him to watch bits of the longer ones, but I honestly can't see a reporter making Lucas watch an hour or more of fanfilms...

I just had a thought on the fiction ones as well... Joe Straczynski had a long-standing policy on the status of Babylon 5 fan fiction... he wouldn't tolerate it in areas that he frequented on the web, otherwise he'd stop participating in those forums and discussions... he did it to prevent someone from saying that an idea from one of their fan stories ended up in an episode of B5, as he removed the possibility of exposure...
    I'm beginning to wonder is Lucas might have adopted the same stance... it would certainly add another reason why the fiction entries were excluded from the AtomFilms contest (and why he might balk at watching this reel)...

Fenn
    (and I didn't just pick CW because it's mine... :D )

23. Thesabresmith

Thesabresmith Jedi Master star 1

Aug 31, 2001
    I'll try and answer this as best i can...

There hould be a scope of films and i dont think that thay should be that long either... Has This reporter got a 4 hour interview with GL? If we expect him to watch Rogue, KQ, COTS ect he'd need it!

My List:
    Desert Duel. 17 mins 64.2 mb (Shows we dont all have to do Jedi Vs Sith films)
    Legacy of the Jedi. 8 mins 42 mb (Shows our Humor)
    The New World. 5 1/2 mins 20 mb (Have to have Clay)
    A Question of Faith. 16 mins 67 mb (Shows we do have good writing, acting, fighting skills ect Oh and this is my fav. film :) )
    Art of the Saber. 5 mins 20 mb (Not all fan films have stories)
    Broken Allegiance 23mins 123mb (Mostly good everything... oh but dodgy accents :) )
    Dark skies 17 1/2 mins 73 mb (Not all fan films follow Canon... even though they SHOULD :p )
    PA Wars 9 mins 33 mb (Has good directing, its funny)

Ok i am running out of steam... I think that the above films show a good cross section of the films here, from old to new, from no budget, to Thousands of dollars budgets. Some are Funny, some Dramatic, Some with Large plots, some with none.

They show the skills we have, our determination, Imagination, our LOVE for star wars.

Not like my opinoin matters, but i am sorry to anyone who didn't make it on to my list, i was just trying not to make it too long otherwise COTS (205 mb) and KQ (204mb) would have been on there also.

EDIT: Actually you know what... Forget Dark Skies (CANON!!!!) put Knightsquest in.

24. lokmer

lokmer Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2000
    Two of the more excellent films here haven't been mentioned yet: Sacrifices, and Jabba On The Dais. Unquestionably the best of the music video genre.
    -Lokmer

25. Ptx

Ptx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 19, 2000
    "I'd say whereas Atomfilms is kind of a Niche thing, the Chicago Tribune is something that everyone reads... "

Everyone in Chicago, anyway.

BTW, who is the sausage king? ;)

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.