main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

i actually live in japan, believe it or not

Discussion in 'Archive: Japan' started by jariten, Apr 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandhi

Gandhi Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2004
    Who would want to live in Japan???

2. _boom

_boom Jedi Master star 1

Apr 3, 2004
    well i have one month left here. living in yamine-cho, sasebo.
    there is a strip mall close by the navy base in sasebo that sells some star wars stuff. http://photos.yahoo.com/tiffanys_pictures2 there are some pictures i took at the toy store there. they have a full stormtrooper stand up and a millenium falcon model.

3. lysis

lysis Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 12, 2004
    I hope someones reading this....

Anyway, I live in Florida and I have been through about three hurricanes, one of which, Charley, made landfall over my house and devistated my town of Punta Gorda with winds gusting over 170 mph. I know you guys in Japan have gotten atleast 10 typhoons so far, with another one possibly on the way. Im kind of a weather nut so I would really like to hear some storm stories. I believe a number of these storms were super typhoons. Would anyone be so kind as to give me their story?

EDIT: I almost forgot. Anyone who has suffered through one of these things has my upmost respect. I went through the worst of Andrew (catagory 5) in 92 and I know how destructive these storms can be. Try and keep up your spirits; the season is almost over!

4. _boom

_boom Jedi Master star 1

Apr 3, 2004
    (In Sasebo) the most destruction I've seen done by weather was our tree tipping over. Oh and the wind kinda pushed our grill off the porch and a few tiles flew off the roof. We usually stayed inside and it doesn't seem that bad but when you read the news you hear about how much damage the storm actually caused.

Ah, same thing with the earthquake. Didn't feel a thing but it caused plenty of damage.

5. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    I envy you people in Japan. I've been doing nothing but dreaming of going for the past couple months. I wanted to teach kids English, but I'm just beginning my path there. I'm in Intro level 1 right now, and it's going to be atleast two to three years before I first venture out.

Dozo yoroshiku.

6. Darth_Kasei

Darth_Kasei Jedi Youngling

Nov 13, 2004
    i live in southamerica..in peru...i like japanese culture and i'm learning nihongo...i'll visit japan someday...wait for me....cyall

7. Cloned_Sidious

Cloned_Sidious Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 14, 2004
    I actually live in Finland, believe it or not. :p

8. lookatitthisway

lookatitthisway Jedi Youngling

Mar 23, 2005
    I live in that country with the second tallest building in the world . Stumped , arent you ?

9. PrinceEspaaValorum

PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Hajimema****e!

Right now I live in Honolulu. But I hope to be in Kyoto teaching English this autumn. Just how big and active is the Japan FanForce?

Douzo yorishiku onegaishimasu!

10. Tokyo-Bounty-Hunter

Tokyo-Bounty-Hunter Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2005
    First time poster, long time Star Wars fan living in Tokyo.

All you toy fans should take a trip to the shopping centre in Nakano, Tokyo.

11. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    > Just how big and active is the Japan FanForce?

Seriously, I found that Japanese seems can get fanatic over big stuffs like SW and LOTR. ;) I really envy the kind of merchandise exclusively released there and the relatively active fans especially those part of the Japanese Garrison or Rebel Cells.

Heehee...maybe one day with a Japanese-speaking friend in toll, I can pay a visit to Japan. :p

12. Chris_in_Japan

Chris_in_Japan Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2005
    Ive been living in Japan since 1998...and I love it ! People love Star Wars here

13. Yak_Face

Yak_Face Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2005
    Be afraid be very afraid Yak Face and Whiphid are coming to Japan.

Lock up your wives and daughters

tie down your goats

and grab your most precious Star Wars Figures because we are hear to give them a name!

14. hanya

hanya Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2005
    I live in Japan,believe it or not.
    Is there anyone who live in Tokyo?:confused: Are you guys going to go to see the movie on "sensenkou day"?(July 25th)

15. Damacles_Photon

Damacles_Photon Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2005
    The language. I really want to learn it! I love the language! its really quite pretty i think [face_mischief] Is it really as hard as most people make it out to be?

16. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    The Japanese language, or as much as I've encountered doing judo for two decades, and watching a couple of education programmes on late night BBC (British tv), the language is like linguistic building blocks.
    You learn a 'root' work, then you can use it as part of a whole string of related words.

It looks relatively easy to learn.

S-I-5

17. Whimper

Whimper Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 1999
    Well, I'm not actually living in Japan anymore (BELIEVE IT OR NOT), but I hope that doesn't keep me from posting here once or twice a year.

Regarding the language, it really is like a bunch of building blocks. Think of it like LEGO. The two troubles are:

1. Just because you can put two pieces together, doesn't mean you ought to. Linguistic and social context are everything. Say your red block is the root of a verb. Sure you can just add another block to make it past-tense. But you'll have about 5 different versions of past-tense to choose from, depending on who you are, where you are, who you're speaking to, and what effect you're trying to go for.

2. Kanji. Unless you're lucky enough to have a knack for them, or a very strong study ethic, learning to write and decipher the thousands of Chinese characters used in writing Japanese is a serious challenge. By the time they get to high school, Japanese children have spent 9 years learning the 2000 or so characters necessary for basic literacy. Unless you want to spend nine years on it, you have to work pretty hard.

To go back to the LEGO example, let's say you know that the verb you want is a red block. Then you go to grab it, and you see that it's lying next to 300 other red blocks that look almost identical. Uh oh!

18. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    I guess I just have a knack for the kanji. I love those little guys.

And Japanese is really fun to learn, its very different from English grammatically which makes it cooler to me.

I cant wait to go to Japan this summer. Do you miss it there, Whimper?

19. ImperialJedi

ImperialJedi Jedi Master star 3

Sep 23, 2001
    Hello everyone! I went to Japan a couple of years ago. In fact, I posted in this thread if you look at the very top. Now I'm studying Film and Television at the Savannah College of Art and Design in Georgia. I've started a small Japanese Language study group there, but I haven't personally had any formal Japanese lessons since my exchange. I miss my host family and I wish I knew Japanese better. My time in Japan was awesome though. I'll probably drop in at this forum like Whimper, once or twice a year.

Have a Happy New Year!

-IJedi

20. Whimper

Whimper Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 1999
    Yup, I miss it sometimes Goodfellas. Mostly, I just miss the friends I made there, and now only hear from through e-mail and the odd picture or letter.

But I'm going to have to save my pennies, if I want to head back for a visit in a few years.

21. chumpychewy

chumpychewy Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2006
    Trolling makes baby vader cry

22. PrinceEspaaValorum

PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Well, I just moved here from Honolulu on the 5th of this month, Japan time. In live in Nishinomiya, in Hyogo-ken, just outside Kobe, and home of the Hanshin Tigers. Really love it and am improving my Japanese.

Foosu ga tomi ni arisumasu yo ni!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.