main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I am a horrible SW fan.

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by _Sublime_Skywalker_, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    My days here on this specific board have been very few lately. It seems weird considering I was here for over a year talking about the microseries, the upcomming CW movie, and the current CW show.

However.

I have yet to watch even the first episode.

I looked so foward to it, and I still want to see it so badly. I work sunday till 8pm, and I'm just not big on TV in general. I've searched the internet for it drastically, yet I can't find anything other then clips. I want to do it right, I want to watch the first episode and progress, but I can't find it anywhere.

So tell me this, fellow SW'ers... am I truly missing out? I still plan to watch it, eventually, but this is the first time I haven't jumped to see the premier, and the first time I haven't watched it religiously...

2. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Wow you are a horrible Star Wars fan. There's only one solution -- you must go to a Jedi Priest and confess your sins. He can forgive you and also deliver an iPod to you with all of the Clone Wars episodes, after which you will be cleansed and a born-again Star Wars fan! ;)

You should totally watch the episodes, can you go on iTunes and download them? I don't know what country you are in, but that's what my friend Erik does. He doesn't have cable for now. I just watch them on Cartoon Network, then I download on iTunes the next day.

3. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    No.

4. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    There are many ways you can watch them and i have to say, if you havent seen not one of them yet than yes you are a pretty bad star wars fan, go to one of the various websites showing them, download them, get them off itunes, do what ever you have to do and just watch them. If you cant set aside one hour or two to get and then watch the clone wars than i dont know what to tell ya.[face_shame_on_you]

5. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    I've got a buddy who's a huge SW fan, but he's actually waiting for the DVD release before he watches them. That's something I just couldn't do, but it's cool that these days we do have alternatives for catching new stuff (DVR, DVD, Itunes, etc).

Bottom line: pick your format and soak 'em up!

6. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    Films not fans?

Calling someone a "bad fan" for not watching the spin-off cartoon is like calling them a bad fan for not buying and watching the Droids or Ewoks DVDs, or for not spending enough money on SW toys.

Contrary to what some would have you believe, "Star Wars fan" doesn't always mean "Will seek out and buy/watch anything with the SW label".

7. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Sorry, but I agree with the other guy, if you don't even care to watch an officially authorized animated series, you're not much of a fan. Fan = Fanatic. That's what it's short for. Otherwise call yourself something else, like a Star Wars enthusiast perhaps, or a Star Wars admirer. But a Star Wars fan is pretty die-hard, a real fan anyway.

That being said, however, missing the first 4 episodes is no big deal -- you can catch up. We all have busy times in our lives when entertainment cannot take priority over lame real-world concerns, haha, so it's not a big deal. There's nothing wrong with waiting until they are on DVD, even, nothing at all. I agree, I couldn't do that, but I'm usually the DVD guy.

I don't watch TV in general, except for sports, I'm a big sports buff, so that's all I watch TV for. Besides that, I buy everything on DVD, and I buy based on what I think I'll like. Other people may question this strategy, but it has worked out quite well so far honestly. I make a few mistakes here or there, but with TV, unlike movies, it's pretty easy to tell what you're going to like and what you won't like. You end up reading enough, hearing enough, etc. to make a good judgment. Plus if you're mainly buying TV shows after they've been on several seasons, or received rave reviews, you're not that likely to be disappointed. Any mistakes I made were my own fault, like buying Tru Calling because Eliza Dushku was in it and she's hot. I had to know that would suck, LOL.

But I just prefer to watch TV shows once they're already on DVD, because I can keep watching episode after episode and get through a whole season fast. I haven't followed anything on TV since The X-Files, and that love affair ended after Season 8, didn't watch regularly once Mulder left. There's something really fun about watching a whole season just right through, no commercial breaks, able to take in the story on a larger scale I believe. But it makes cliffhangers worse, actually, much worse. If you wait 4, 5, 6 months for a cliffhanger to resolve on TV, I wait ONE YEAR for the next season to come out on DVD so I can see what happened. That's the only drawback, really.

I'm a pretty big TV fan, though, something like 175 seasons of TV shows by this point (X-Files 1-9, Buffy 1-7, Angel 1-5, Alias 1-5, 24 1-6, Simpsons 1-11, South Park 1-10, every season of Family Guy, Futurama, MacGyver, Star Trek: TNG, The Pretender, Las Vegas, Dexter, Entourage, the list goes on and on and on).

8. ThePriminister

ThePriminister Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2005
    Dude go to StarWars.com, the first 3 episodes are RIGHT THERE to watch, the FULL episodes-high quality and a large screen, along with commentary and other vids.

And if you have relatively high speed internet, it just plays, no loading beforehand. After and episode airs, it takes a week to appear on the site. So...ya.

How come no one has mentioned this yet?

And no you dont need to be a Hyperspace member, its RIGHT THERE when you go to the site, just be sure to watch the Malevolance Ark in order.

9. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    Well I think there's a distinction worth making between being a fan of specific Star Wars movies/games/books vs. a fan of the Star Wars franchise in general. If you claim to be a fan of "anything and everything Star Wars" then, yeah, you should be watching the show. But for someone like me who claims only to be a fan of the OT films, TCW is no more essential than The Wookiee Cookbook.

10. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I'd give it a shot, but you're not missing that much.

11. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Well you're right about that. Absolutely. I argue this very often. I have no problem with someone saying, "Look, I'm a huge fan of the Star Wars OT, I love the movies and watched them all a million times, etc. The prequels, however, I don't like." But when someone is like, "I am a HUGE Star Wars fan, don't you dare accuse me of not being a big fan just because I hate ROTJ, TPM, AOTC, and ROTS! Just because I only like 2 of the 6 movies doesn't make me any less of a fan!" Uhh, well, yeah, it does. Haha. I mean that's just silly. But if someone is like, "Hey, I'm a huge fan of ANH, ESB, and ROTS. I like ROTJ. Don't care for TPM or AOTC." Valid enough, that's plenty fair. I just get annoyed by people who seem to not want to let go, like they were huge fans of everything Star Wars in 1985, let's say, and now in 2008 they aren't, and rather than admitting they really aren't, they want to act like they are just as big of Star Wars fans as ever even though they haven't liked anything in the Saga for about a decade, haha.

12. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    Liking every single thing that has the franchise label doesn't make you more of a fan; it makes you a fan of more.

Saying that you don't like how the franchise has been run over the last decade doesn't make you less of a fan. People saying they hate the way Bush has been running the country doesn't make them any less a fan of America. Quite the opposite, because they love America so much that they won't just blithely support its being mishandled.

Fans shouldn't buy/watch everything without concern for quality. If you think the latest installment sucks, the best thing you can do as a fan is to NOT support it, so that the producers will be discouraged from making such a low-quality product in the future. Support only the good stuff, and you give the powers-that-be and incentive to produce only the good stuff.

13. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    The OP is from Canada and can't like myself can't get ANYTHING on the internet.

But to answer your question it's kind of a kids show. It has had some cool moments but it isn't exactly a litmus test as to whether you're a fan or not. Watch any episode. Pick up whenever. They'll probably run the thing for several seasons.

14. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    Keep in mind that the topic creator WANTS to watch the show. So we're not calling him a bad fan for not liking the show. Hey, I love the show, but I agree with you--it's an animated spinoff of the movies. Not liking it won't make you less of a fan. I still respect your fanhood.

Still, the show is really good. You owe it to yourself to watch it, Sublime. You don't have to start with the first episode--you can jump in at any point. The series just concluded a three-part story arc, but even then each individual episode still stood on its own.

15. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Check out the show, you should. But not yet watching the show, make you a bad fan this does not:)

I love the new BSG series but have done the same thing with it, going so far as to wait for the DVD's to watch it in the correct order ;) I'm only up to episode #2 on CTV in Canada but I really like it thus far. It's aimed at kids maybe, but so is Star Wars as a whole. Some kids are just older than other ones ;)

16. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    There's a lot for fans to love about this series. I think fans (of the Saga, not the OT-only crowd) who haven't seen it yet are missing out.

17. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    I agree 100% with "Bowen". If you are one of those people that call themselves fans yet dont like ROTJ, TPM, AOTC, ROTS than i think you are more suited to be called a movie buff that likes only the very best the OT of star wars had to offer and because it was impossible to make movies that are so unbelievably well done to the point where they changed the world 6 times in a row you dont have any interest in them.

If you only like 2 movies out of a series of 6 movies yet call yourself a fan of the series who knows better than everyone else you are living in your own world.[face_whistling]

18. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    No.

19. maderic

maderic Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 8, 2004
    You're missing pretty visuals loaded with annoying characters and really lazy writing that reuses lines from the films left and right.

20. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I will probably lock this fairly quickly, but being a Canadian fan is difficult right now.

You can't watch the episodes on SW.com; last time I checked, you could watch at least the first 2 episodes on cartoonnetwork.com, or ctv.com. it's crappy, pan-and-scan format, but it's still watchable.

we're getting off topic, as usual, into discussion about what being a SW "fan" means. That's not a topic for this part of the JC.

With respect to the show, it's not the films, but it's probably better than I expected. There's a sense of fun and adventure to it that we didn't often get in the PT, and I hate to say I like Matt Lanter's Anakin a whole bunch more than Hayden Christensen, though part of that is the writing.

21. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    Actually, I just tried to watch it on SW.com. I was all ready, excited and such. Then it says it doesn't work in Canada.

[face_tired] peril.

22. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/

23. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    Don't feel bad. I saw my first a week ago. I probably won't play TFU and I am behind on EU. Damn money. Lucas should give us all an LFL. economy check that is valid only for his products.

24. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    So I saw the first 3 episodes tonight. Now I can't find episode 4 anywhere, so I guess I'm gonna have to wait it out till it finds its way on youtube.

Oh, and CN is for US only now too.

but yeah, the shows actually pretty good.

25. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    The Only problem with this line of logic is that we live in the real world and while we like to believe that our support makes or breaks franchises, it really doesn't. Hollywood has continued to spew out mind numbing garbage for years and no amount of fans shouting "I'm Spartcus" and leading a boycott has changed the quailty one bit. For every blockbuster that is made there are ten films made with senseless violence, tasteless fart gags, glorified sex and little or no plot. Hollywood keeps rehashing slasher flicks, and 70's movies, and pure garbage. So while I applaud the sentiment it isn't going to work. That being said the low quality of CW is your own opinion and there are alot of us who think it is great work. Some of the shots from episode three very so much like ANH that I was overjoyed. You are intitled to your opinions about fandom and the OT but they are again your opinions. As to the orginal post, you are not a bad fan, sometimes real life happens and when it is done Star War will always be there for you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.