main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I am a new player, and I need some advice.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Mace_Windo, Sep 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mace_Windo

Mace_Windo Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    While I wait for my cards, anybody have some advice? ?[face_plain]

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Well, ask us a question, and we'll see if we can answer.

3. Mace_Windo

Aug 31, 2001
    Ok. What are the words at the bottom of the cards for? ?[face_plain]

4. StarWJLC

StarWJLC Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2001
    If you want answers to questions that obvious, decipher.com has the full rulebook that does a very good job explaining all aspects of the game and what everything on the card means. The two numbers in the left (I think that's what you mean) are the deploy cost and the forefeit value.

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Here are some of the basic stats of a card:

Card type. Found in the upper left-hand corner, it tells you what kind of card it is.

Card title. Self-explanatory.

Destiny number. When you draw a destiny, reveal the top card of your Reserve Deck, note its destiny number, then place that card on your Used Pile.

Lore. General information about how the card fits into the Star Wars universe. Many of the card's characteristics are found here.

Picture. Shows a scene from the Star Wars universe.

Power. Used to determine winners in battles.

Ability. Used to represent a character's skill in the Force.

Force sensitivity. If a character has ability of 3 or more, this will be noted in this box. For characters, this box may instead be filled with a card atritbute called armor, which represents the character's weapon defense. Some characters may even have an attritibute called Politics, which is used when that character is in the Senate.

Maneuver/Armor. On starships or vehicles, this represents the card's defense value.

Hyperspeed/Landspeed. On starships or vehicles, this represents how far the card can move in a single turn.

Droid type. On droids, the third box will instead tell you what type of droid it is.

Deploy cost. Found in a small box in the lower-left hand corner.

Forfeit value. Found directly below the deploy cost.

Game text. Tells you what the card can do.

Other icons. Warrior, pilot, astromech, Droid With Presence, Scomp Link, Independent ship, Republic ship, Trade Federation ship and Permanent weapon can be found on the card.

6. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    I think this is a chance to start a cool thread where we can give advice to our fellow players based on our experience, whether those experiences be good or bad.

Here's my advice: read your cards carefully, as it will help you avoid on either missing out on an advantage or avoid looking like an idiot.

Case in point: I once made a light side deck that started with For Luck from the Jedi pack. Because i didn't read the card properly, I thought For Luck added to your draws for Suprise Assault! Man, did I look stupid the first time I played suprise Assault in that game and tried to add an extra destiny!

So read the cards. Understand what they mean. Oh, and have fun. A couple of guys I've played at my local card shop have forgotten how to do that. :D

7. Mace_Windo

Aug 31, 2001
    I have some Death Star II cards, and I just cant seem to keep the sheild up long enough to draw That thing's Operational. [face_blush]

8. Mace_Windo

Aug 31, 2001
    Thanks For the help. (so far)

9. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Well, the best way to use a Death Star II deck is to:

Start the Endor system (either the system itself, or use the Objective Endor Operations).

Use the Starting Interrupt Operational As PLanned to get the system, Jerjerrod and an Effect of your choice (Desperate Counter or We Shall Double Our Efforts are the best choices).

Deploy Jerjerrod to a site, and use his text to start grabbing the Death Star sectors. If you use Endor Ops, you can put him at the Bunker. Or, you can use Desperate Counter to get Imperial Arrest Order, which can get the Death Star II docking bay.

Also note that if you use Endor Operations, you will be able to get the Endor Shield out for added protection.

10. Mace_Windo

Aug 31, 2001
    Thanks! I also want to know if I can put someone like Darth Maul on Death Star II? ?[face_plain]

11. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Of course. Neither Maul's text nor the Death Star's text says you can't.

12. Mace_Windo

Aug 31, 2001
    Can you finish building the Death Star II? Can Maul Help? ?[face_plain]

13. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Yes. Jerjerrod can get the Death Star II sectors out, along with the Superlaser, and the last Death Star II sector will allow you to make that thing operational.

Maul cannot directly help to build the Death Star, because he cannot pull any of the cards required to build it. But you can still use him elsewhere on the table.

14. Mace_Windo

Aug 31, 2001
    Cool, Ar there any other cards that an help in other decks. (like Moff Jerrerrod on DS1)

15. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    There are plenty of cards that can help out specific deck types. Just look them over and determine what sort of deck they might be in.

16. Mace_Windo

Aug 31, 2001
    [image=http://www.decipher.com/starwars/cardlists/deathstar2/dark/large/chimaera.html]

Is there a Thrawn card for this?

17. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Yes, there is a Grand Admiral Thrawn card. He is in the Reflections 2 set.

18. Mace_Windo

Aug 31, 2001
    Refrection 2 cards sound good. How can you tell if a card is a pilot?

19. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    It has the pilot icon on the lower-right part of the card.

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    A great helper for constructing decks is the following site:

http://www.jandatonline.com/work/swccg/swccg_search.html

it's a SW:CCG card search site. So, if your looking for cards that relate to a particular type of card or deck, it's easier to narrow down what to choose from.

For example, if you were making a Death Star 1 deck and were looking for characters that are good on the Death Star you could search for darkside characters with the phrase "Death Star" in their gametext and it will pull up a list of all matches and you can go through them and see what ones would work best in your deck.

Another example is if you wanted to pull up all the sites available at a particular system to see which ones work for your deck idea better.

21. youngvader

youngvader Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 21, 1999
    Don't give your money to those thieves.

22. CodeName62

CodeName62 Jedi Youngling

Oct 13, 2001
    I use to play a couple of years ago, but then quit. Just recentaly I opend up my box with cards and I was interested again. I am going to have to go through the rule book again. I forgot all the rules.

23. Mace_Windo

Aug 31, 2001
    *mummers to CodeName62*

"I never read the rules, I just started this thread."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.