main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph I am addicted to television.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Good television, rather.

Star Trek: The Next Generation
    Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    Battlestar Galactica
    Caprica
    The Pacific
    Futurama
    Arrested Development
    Scrubs
    Community
    Parks and Recreation
    The Office
    How I Met Your Mother
    Band of Brothers

And probably others that I'm forgetting at the moment.

I've been a fan of some of those for a long time, but others I just recently got into (HIMYM) and watched in their entirety. Now I'm on the AMC original series. I caught up with Mad Men and I watched the first season of Breaking Bad in the past 24 hours. I'm afraid of what will happen when I'm done with that. Mad Men doesn't premiere for a couple weeks! Don't suggest Lost; I want to be cool and rebellious and **** and refuse to watch it.

Also, I'm not actually addicted to television. If you try to offer genuine advice, I will murder you and dissolve your body in acid. And then I'll drink my sorrows away like I do every night. And afternoon. And morning.

2. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Big bang theory

3. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Big Bang Theory's treatment of females is horrendous. The one female character is the only person on the show without a last name, for one thing.

Evan - I watched the first two episodes of Breaking Bad the other day and loved them! You should check out season 1 of Veronica Mars.

vin likes this.
  4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Lost.

vin and Armenian_Jedi like this.
  5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    What about Leslie Winkle? :p

I'm happy to overlook such things as long as the show is funny, which Big Bang Theory usually is.

6. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    Ausiello says it all: http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/01/23/big-bang-theory/

Honestly, any female nerd should be offended by BBT. The general POINT of the show is that only boys/men understand geek culture and all women are shallow, vain, and foreign to geekery. I haven't seen every episode, but I'm pretty sure even Leslie was only nerdy in the physics sense and never participated in any discussions of science fiction, comic books, video games, or any of the other kinds of things the four males discuss.

7. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I'm actually surprised that's not on your list given the other shows you watch.

Armenian_Jedi likes this.
  8. Salacious_Drabb

Salacious_Drabb Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 24, 2007
    Doctor Who. But really, you know that. How about some more older series? Get Smart, for example, or The Avengers.

9. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
  10. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Extras.

Life on Mars (I started with the US version, and it's good, though I know why people who saw the UK version first would hate it)

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    BBT is be offensive for being unfunny and pandering to stereotypes in general, whether to do with female geeks or just people in general. Leonard is about the only self-aware character in the entire show, and that's sad.

I second both Veronica Mars and Extras, also.

12. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Futurama is the only show on that list that I watch. I don't watch much scripted TV anymore anyway, as most of my television watching is devoted to the news (local and cable news), Dodgers, Lakers (along with other sorts of baseball & basketball games), and The Oscars. The shows I do watch: Rescue Me, Entourage, the aforementioned Futurama and V.

Back-to-Back!: 2008-2009 & 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: World Champions:cool:

13. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    (Is glad he doesn't watch anything considered popular*)

*except maybe Doctor Who

14. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I have seen a few episodes of How I Met Your Mother, and I fail to see why it's so revered. Just looked and sounded like the rest of the formulaic, unfunny, US Sitcoms that we endure (BBT, 2.5 Men, etc).

15. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    If you're gonna watch How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang Theory, you might as well complete the hi-larious trifecta with Two and a Half Men.

16. Vincent-Kenobi

Vincent-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 4, 2008
    Sons of Anarchy
    The Wire
    Generation Kill

17. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003

Wow, so they mistreat all of their females apparently. How would you know that? Do you watch all the shows but hate yourself for indulging in it.

Or did you read it on some website run by Gloria Allred.

18. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Samurai Jack

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The archaic multi-camera style and the laughtrack that CBS desperately clings to for some reason aren't great, but its humor/story is closer to the NBC single-camera sitcoms than it is to Two and a Half Men.

I've tried watching Big Bang Theory, btw. Not going for it.

20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
  21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I forgot to mention Curb Your Enthusiasm in my list. That, along with Rescue Me are my absolute two favorite shows.

22. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    beezel, please stop baiting me.

Yeah, HIMYM has some of the trappings of the classic crappy sitcom, but the humor and running jokes for the most part are pretty sophisticated and hilarious.

23. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    This

24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I cannot think of a single sitcom I've watched for more than a year* in my entire "adult" (puberty to present day) life .........................all of my sitcom watching have been of classics: I Love Lucy Cheers, and Roseanne. Never got into Seinfeld in the 90's, and there hasn't been a sitcom so far in this century that has warranted my attention.

*=that didn't get cancelled. For reasons that escape me, I watched the whole run of Whoopi back in 2003-2004 (I think, could be wrong).

25. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    uh, tunick.

[image=http://images.dvdcollects.com/upload/uploadfiles/Larry_David_in_Curb_Your_Enthusiasm_Wallpaper_1_1024%281%29%281%29.jpg]