main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph I am addicted to television.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I watched the first episode of Dexter. I enjoyed it a lot, but it didn't immediately hook me the way Mad Men and Breaking Bad did. Maybe it was because its cinematography and setting reminded me of what little I've seen (I swear) of CSI: Miami. I half-expected Horatio Caine to turn up and make some comment about how the hooker "fell to pieces" and do something with his sunglass right before Roger Daltrey screamed... okay, bad joke.

Random thoughts (I like this part):

-So he's a sociopath, eh? No empathy and apparently little emotion beyond the "light" ones such as curiosity. I guess I should've expected that, because someone who self-righteously kills off serial killers wouldn't do it like a serial killer unless he was a serial killer himself. Know what I mean? Serial killer. Serial killer. Killer of cereal.

-The Sargeant is the only one who gets the creeps from Dexter? He IS creepy. Not just because of his sociopathic narration. ?I?m watching you, mother****er. [face_plain]?

-How does that woman find him charming? If not "serial killer," his fake charm should have at least been setting off "practitioner of the 'Mystery Method'" alarms.

-He?s pretty much evil, but evil focused by Harry against other evil people.

-His lack of... okay, a soul, gives him some unique insight into human absurdity. Such as not understanding things like ?mating rituals."

-I like that he makes absolutely sure he kills bad people. Investigates them like a stereotypical rogue police officer.

-Dates a woman who?s so emotionally damaged that she doesn?t ever want to have sex? She?s not going to a shrink about that or anything? It "works for" him? Jeez, Dex, it?s almost like you don?t have any empathy or something. Just a typical male, huh? Hahahahahaha... ha...

-Weird thing is he seems to ?love? her in his own way. ?Everyone is so hostile? except her.?

-Not as graphic as I?d feared. It wouldn?t necessarily be a deal breaker, but stuff approaching gorn is a major turn-off in any media I watch. Could change later for all I know.

-He says that it took him a long time to learn how to fake being ?normal,? but the flashbacks have him acting remorseful in front of his father. Though that just may be the nature of child actors.

-I can?t believe that he looked shaken to see a head plop on his windshield. Maybe that was just initial surprise.

"I want you.?
    ?Oh! Okay? thanks.?
    ??You?re welcome!?

-You?d think he?d be better at faking sexual desire if he's so good at faking everything else.

-I wonder how many serial killers there are in reality. I've always been under the impression that they're rare compared to "normal" murderers. But he appears to have no shortage of blood slides in that case and no shortage of potential victims. I'm not an expert, so I could be wrong.

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    -I wonder how many serial killers there are in reality. I've always been under the impression that they're rare compared to "normal" murderers. But he appears to have no shortage of blood slides in that case and no shortage of potential victims. I'm not an expert, so I could be wrong.
    IIRC, he doesn't kill only serial killers. They just have to be a killer, with the possibility of killing again.

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well they have to have already killed at least 2 people. But yeah, that doesn't necessarily mean they're "serial killers". I guess technically you are a serial killer in the eyes of the law if you've killed 3 or more people, I think. But there are plenty of plain bad dudes who've killed multiple people but aren't pathologically really "serial killers" the way Dexter is. IIRC the show also says there are something like 50 active serial killers in the US at a time at some point.

Maybe it was because its cinematography and setting reminded me of what little I've seen (I swear) of CSI: Miami.

[face_plain]. Just [face_plain].

-How does that woman find him charming? If not "serial killer," his fake charm should have at least been setting off "practitioner of the 'Mystery Method'" alarms.

Dude, women fall for fake charm all the time. How do you think there are so many [feminine hygiene products] that get girls? Besides, people loved Ted Bundy.

-I like that he makes absolutely sure he kills bad people. Investigates them like a stereotypical rogue police officer.

Yeah, I really like the idea that he's been trained to not just be a good killer but to be a good detective in his own way. Extremely thorough. It also gives the show this really bizarre crime serial thing where instead of just looking for the bad guys he's looking for the bad guys so he can hack them to pieces :p

-Dates a woman who?s so emotionally damaged that she doesn?t ever want to have sex? She?s not going to a shrink about that or anything? It "works for" him? Jeez, Dex, it?s almost like you don?t have any empathy or something. Just a typical male, huh? Hahahahahaha... ha...

ahhhh hahahahaaha! Too true, too true :)

I imagine Rita doesn't have the time or the courage to see a shrink. Plus it's expensive as hell. But I think the major point here is really that she is a woman who seeks approval in the men she loves, which is probably what led her into a bad relationship in the first place. So good job exploiting weaknesses, Dex.

-Weird thing is he seems to ?love? her in his own way. ?Everyone is so hostile? except her.?

Mmm, yes, well that might be a question to ponder, huh? :p

-Not as graphic as I?d feared. It wouldn?t necessarily be a deal breaker, but stuff approaching gorn is a major turn-off in any media I watch. Could change later for all I know.

The show's really not all that graphic. There's a lot more implied violence than anything. And not a ton of gore. Actually, I think the CSI shows [face_tired]) are far more gory.

-I can?t believe that he looked shaken to see a head plop on his windshield. Maybe that was just initial surprise.

He was surprised at first. When everyone showed up I think he was just faking because inside I think he's totally thrilled to have someone taunting him like that.

"I want you.?
    ?Oh! Okay? thanks.?
    ??You?re welcome!?

Haha, this is probably my favorite moment in the pilot. Oh Dex.

I would say that this show takes a couple episodes to find its voice. Probably because they switched show runners after a few episodes :p I would love to continue hearing your comments, though. Keep posting (or PMing). NOW [face_plain]

EDIT: On a sidenote, KW was nice enough to loan me the first season of True Blood. I watched the first three episodes last night. The pilot is way over-dramatic, but it seemed to settle down a bit. I feel like this show is going to remain somewhat cheesy and campy, but I have to admit that so far it is fun nonetheless.

4. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, TNG really came into being when the Borg where first introduced (they looked and felt the coolest and most menacing only then and there, but have been worthlessly dilluted since). But most of the first two season's episodes are mostly unwatchable (or otherwise not aged well). Agreed about the early uniforms/shirts as well: L.A.M.E. DS9 turned out to be a great piece of Star Trek lore. But I didn't care as much about Voyager nor Enterprise.

What TV do I watch? Not much really. I only jumped on the revamped Galactica bandwagon right near its end. 24 when it was on. House when I remember to watch it. I ocassionally watch the random episode of USA's Burn Notice and it's always a blast (but then again, anything and everything with Bruce Campbell in it IS a blast). I don't have HBO, so I guess I've missed some great TV since Band of Brothers. I've wacthed a few snippets of True Blood and it looks intriguing. Ogther than this, most of the tv I watch is either The History or Discovery Channels, even though I question some its inane reality-tv programming (Pickers? Pawn Stars? Seriously...)

5. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    I've spent the afternoon blasting through Better Off Ted and after one episode I immediately regret not watching it from the beginning.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Another show I am saving up for when I will desperately need entertainment.

7. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Oh God, too much pressure. [face_worried]

Second episode:

-Episode titles shown at the beginning? I really wish more shows would do that... even though I've already forgotten what the title was.

-Does he like being a serial killer? His thing about enjoying his "days off" seemed to suggest that he might not. Hmm.

-Why is his freezer so empty? Where?s he get all that food he apparently prepares for breakfast every morning?

-Haha he?s creeped out by the Lt.?s obvious attraction toward him. ?I thought I was creepy.?

-The actor?s wife plays his sister? Sounds like a TV Trope! (lol the page photo.)

?Good work, Angel.?
    ?Well, actually, it was Dexter??
    *sergeant walks away*
    "I'm watching you, mother****er. [face_plain]"

-I like Debra. ?Holy ****, they?re ****ing fingertips.?

-?Harry?s daughter? Must be her genes-- her and her brother.? Yeah, except Dexter doesn?t have Harry?s genes.

-Why does the Lt. hate Debra so much? Is she jealous of that thing Debra has with Dexter beyond the fourth wall? Trippy, man.

-?I?m glad to see the sexual harassment seminar really paid off.? Someone's a bit of hypocrite.

-Do blood spatter experts always do that string thing? Do they always bring in those guys to murder scenes?

-?Happy hour. Now there?s a misnomer.?

-Yeah, I guess he doesn?t just go for serial killers. Unrepentant murderers in general. That drunk driver didn't have the pathology of a "real" serial killer. He was just a giant ass who happened to kill multiple people due to his assery.

-I guess storylines will be following the rest of the main cast as well, not just from Dex?s point-of-view. Good.

?I can?t believe I found the one good, truly decent man on the planet.?

?I just wish I could get into a healthy relationship like you and Rita.?

8. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Dexter. Yeah. I've heard so many people gushing over this show, but my main deterrent about watching it (besides the fact I don't have Showtime) is that I don't care in the least bit about a show about a ****ed up serial killer, even if said ****ed up serial killer does a bit of good by dispatching other murderers. He is still an unrepentant psycho that, unless I'm mistaken, will turn on friend or foe alike if he so much as suspects he might get caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

9. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I wouldn't say he would turn on a friend if there was the potential of being caught. Usually they turn on him first and in some way justify the need to take them out, beyond just knowing his secret.

As for not wanting to get into the show, that's up to you, and I can certainly understand a moral disdain for the subject matter. He shouldn't be a likable character and its disturbing to me sometimes that I find the show so engaging, but I honestly do. Its well written and well performed and I almost can't help myself.

10. Jobo

Jobo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2000
    Luckily, people warned me about the first two seasons beforehand. And I still thought a lot of it was kind of cheesy fun. But yes, as of season three things really improved in a big way. I'm loving the show now, though I still have my gripes, most of them just being due to the nature of 80s/90s TV. But there is a lot more continuity than I expected, so props to them.
    _jOBO

11. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, and don't forget the reality of SF tv shows: they'll always be constrained by limited budgets and their format. Then again, creative quality often has little to do with budget. Take for example Babylon 5. And if you haven't picked that one up, I suggest you do ASAP. To me, it's one of the finest pieces of TV SF ever done, sometimes standing above anything with the word TREK in its name.

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Regarding Dexter, unsympathetic (to varying degrees) protagonists are nothing new. I mean, The Godfather (Parts I and II) is considered one of the greatest films of all time, and Michael Corleone isn't exactly a great guy.

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I think one of the central questions of Dexter is, in fact, whether or not what he's doing is okay. And how normal can he really be. Can he change? Is there a better option? I don't think you're necessarily supposed to agree with everything he does. I mean, I don't agree with any of it. But it doesn't mean the show and character aren't engaging.

14. sith_hunter117

sith_hunter117 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2008
    I recently just got into Dexter a couple weeks ago, and to be honest, I really didn't want to watch another episode after the pilot. But after I slept on it, I gave it another try and continued with Season 1, and I'm really enjoying it. The concept seems pretty disturbing (and don't get me wrong, it is) but its kinda addicting. Dexter's character seems bland at the beginning, but I'm starting to really like what they've done with him. Like Spider-Fan said, if you don't want to get into the show, its your call, but if you have time to spare and a couple bucks for a rental or have a friend who has the seasons on DVD, why not give it a shot?

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    The pilot is darker and much more creepy in tone than the show winds up being. Whenever I rewatch it I am surprised by this.

16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    So I was recently told by a friend that it was possible I would enjoy True Blood "in spite of everything." Can someone assess the validity of that statement?

17. sith_hunter117

sith_hunter117 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2008
    Am I the only one who dislikes Rita as a character? Her whole subplot kinda annoys me.

And is anyone into the Mentalist? It really is probably one of my favorite shows ever. If you haven't seen it, its worth a shot.

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Jw, I just started watching true blood. It can be kind of cheesy but still enjoyable. However it does definitely have that hbo explicit content all over, which would bother some. Personally I feel like it is a very good pulp show but not necessarily a great show in general. I am enjoying it but am not sure I would give a blanket recommendation.

19. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    It's very tacky, with a lot of nudity and sex; however, once the series gets going after a few episodes it has some solid characters and a sense of humour. I'm not sure you will be able to overlook the gratuitous sex-scenes, particularly if you find romantic vampire fiction silly. I have enjoyed it, but I quite enjoy trashy TV as long as it has imagination and a certain amount of wit.

20. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    So we watched Party Down, probably the first 4 episodes. It was OK, but very underwhelming given the praise heaped on it (hi rogue ten!). Dunno if we'll bother with the rest. Does it get better?

Also, underwhelmed by the first episode of Better Off Ted. It elicited the odd smirk and one or two snorts, but certainly not as funny as I was expecting. I guess I've been spoiled by the writing on Community and Modern Family. I know it takes a few episodes to settle into a show and get to know the characters (though Community & Modern Family were instant hooks). It's a great premise, I'll give you that.

But is this show as good as you've all been making out?

21. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    jp I would never recommend a show to you. I may have recommended the show to someone else, someone with whom I see myself as having something in common.

My recommendations are usually directed at specific persons and are not blanket recommendations. It is in fact for this reason that you don't see me posting in threads like these more regularly or starting threads about shows that I like. My habit of not making blanket recommendations holds particularly true when it comes to television shows, which I realize require more investment of an individual's time than a song or a movie.

Furthermore though I may have "heaped praise" on Party Down at the time I was in the midst of it, in hindsight, having let it stew in my gullet for some time, I would offer these more sober words: "It's alot of fun to watch. Adam Scott is a cool dude. Lizzy Caplan and Kristin Bell are hotties fo sho." I'm sorry for the confusion.

22. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    You sang its praises in Hat when me and other hatters were raving about Community.

I now know nothing you recommend is directed at me, and given how average I found Party Down, that's probably for the best.

Edit: It makes more sense when you respond to someone's post by replying after it, rather than editing a string of your latest thoughts into your original post that person was replying to. Just a little tip for ya.

23. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Thanks for the tip. :D

24. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Yeah, I think it is.

I've been recording the series on my dvr since the start, but I hadn't actually watched an episode until I accidentally caught episode 5, which totally hooked me. I watched the next episode, which also made me laugh out loud several times which is unusual for me and sitcoms. So I decided I should catch up with my recordings and watch the pilot episode - very disappointing. The pilot is much weaker than the other episodes I've seen. I still haven't seen the earlier episodes, but the later episodes of season 1 are great

25. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Interesting. Thanks.