main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph I am addicted to television.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Salacious_Drabb

Salacious_Drabb Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 24, 2007
    I watched the Shatner show, mainly because it was after BBT, which hasn't been available (legitimately) online like the NBC comedies have. It was... uh... just sort of there. Mostly it was "Shatner's a curmudgeon! He hates Girl Scouts! Isn't that funny?" The jokes were obvious, and so was the plot.

And for the record, I was a Better Off Ted fan from the pilot onward.

2. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Treme was well worth watching, but it was definitely far to the "art" end of the scale and not "popcorn entertainment". I would say anyone who loved The Wire should take the time to watch it.

Speaking of which, I just moments ago watched the season finale of a BBC detective show called Luther. Aside from being an interesting blend of "fresh" and "familiar", this show stars Idris Elba, (aka Stringer on the Wire), as a flawed detective, (I swear it's fresh, I just can't tell you how without giving alot away), who accidentally enlists a sociopathic genius murderess as a strange friend and quasi-sidekick.

I can safely, (blanket statement), say that if you don't like Luther by the end of episode three you're a worthless human being. And episodes five and six are the real payoff to the series. Of course, that's because season one is only 6 episodes long, (BBC does weird shortened seasons for their detective programs). Ultimately, this works in the show's favor, because each episodic plot is top notch, whereas a lot of these shows tend to accept way too much chaff in order to fill up a season. Fortunately, Luther has been picked up for a second season, which I, for one, am very much looking forward to.

EDIT: My girlfriend says I should mention that the show has mancandy: obviously Idris himself cuts a handsome and imposing figure, and his rookie partner is kind of a cutie too.

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret.

Anyone?

4. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Without looking I can guess it's from New Zealand, Britian or Canada.

EDIT: Wow I was so wrong but you gotta admit that title sounds really Commonwealth.

5. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    It's British.

6. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    So I was right after all.

I quickly googled it and saw David Cross's ugly American mug and assumed I was wrong.

Now I'm looking some more and it sounds pretty good.

IFC's shown a good eye for comedy in the past.

7. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    i saw the pilot about a week ago on hulu. been looking forward to the continuation of it ever since.

8. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Okay I watched it and the scene where he's talking about all the groups he volunteers with made me cry with laughter (just a little :p ). I will definitely watch more and if Cross and Arnett continue to perform this strongly, I might have to give Arrested Development another chance (I watched the pilot a couple years back at the insistence of my roommate at the time and I thought it was thoroughly boring so I never watched another episode).

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    So, I was browsing Blu-ray titles. Some things still aren't released on Blu-ray, like Season 1 of Community and Season 2 of Parks and Recreation. Fine, whatever. They look good enough (amazing compared to standard def) on upconverted DVD and it's not as though sitcoms benefit terribly from high resolution anyway. I'm not sure why they aren't released on Blu-ray, though. I guess it's because they're not terribly popular or something and Blu-ray must be more expensive to manufacture... or something.

And then I saw this on Amazon's list of Blu-ray "deals."

Forget the insane viewership of Two Men and a Wife-Beating, Coke-Addicted Drunk. Why are there fans of the Planet of the Apes sequels?

10. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    The shows I watch on a regular basis:

Community
    The Office
    30 Rock
    Futurama
    Caprica
    House
    True Blood
    NOVA
    The Daily Show

I'm also watching Flight of the Conchords S2 and Parks & Rec S2 on DVD right now. I have the first seasons of Veronica Mars and How I Met Your Mother, too. I've watch about half of HIMYM. It's pretty funny, but I couldn't really get into it. I haven't even started VM.

I tried watching Dexter. I just couldn't really warm up to it, though. I prefer my gory drama to be more tongue-in-cheek, a la True Blood.

11. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Dexter does have tongue-in-cheek moments... sometimes. And it's not about stupid vampires!

12. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    Only Community would do a zombie episode to an all-ABBA soundtrack. Amazing.

13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I like how both The Office and Community had a character dress up as Lady Gaga.

Though Gabe looked much more convincing.

14. slaythee-30

slaythee-30 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 2, 2002
    I loved the Alien vs. Ripley-in-Loader costumes.

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I've started watching Modern Family. Good, though the mockumentary-style without the presence of an in-universe camera crew weirds me the **** out and that part seems more like a blatant ripoff of the (UK/US) Office that wasn't executed well enough.

Also started watching Justified at solojones' behest. From the pilot episode, it seems that watching the entire first season would be justified. Hahahahahahaha...

16. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I've gotten bored with Idiot Abroad and stopped watching after 3 episodes. It's a bit much to stretch the one-joke premise over 2 episodes, let alone a whole season.

17. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't know. He's a lot more witty and insightful than Gervais and Merchant give him credit for... and I admit I agree with him more often than not (mostly because of our shared Anglo-American cultural norms). I have watched all eight episodes as of tonight, and I enjoyed every one of them.

18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I was really excited there until you made a horrid pun [face_plain]

However, I'll see your horrible sense of humor and counter it with the ultimate man-crush!

[image=http://img.slate.com/media/1/123125/122958/2240716/2246500/100331_TV_JustifiedTN.jpg]

[face_love]

-sj loves kevin spacey

19. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    You should watch Deadwood, then. Have you?

20. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I left for boot camp in August with all of my shows already set up on the Tivo. When I got home, I was all set to spend this entire weekend catching up on Modern Family, Community, etc. only to find out that they had not been recorded because apparently repeats of Good Luck Charlie have higher priority.

21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Did someone in your house mess with the settings or did you just forget to tell the Tivo to keep the eps until you manually erased them? :p

22. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Ouch. This is why you have to be careful about your DVR settings.

No, but I have wanted to for a while. Now I definitely have to.

-sj loves kevin spacey

23. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    one of the best tv shows evar

I just watched all of S2 Wire this weekend

24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    justified is like deadwood-lite to me. it's pretty good, but deadwood is one of my all-time favorites. i'm actually currently watching it for the third time. the only other show i think i've done that with is the u.k. office.

25. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I would watch Deadwood myself except that I heard it doesn't really have an ending. I would find that frustrating, especially seeing as it wasn't really due to low ratings but stupid wrangling between HBO and the creator. :p