main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph I am addicted to television.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jul 11, 2010.

1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    It's not really a video gamers game, if you know what I mean. It's more like a psych test under pressure.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Walking Dead and Boardwalk Empire have been letdowns, though the former I stopped watching before the season even ended.

Archer starts this week! I swear I had something for this.

Lana.

Lana.

LANA.

LAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAA.

Danger zone

3. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Seems to be the consensus.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm too lazy to go back and see what I said 2 years ago, but BE improved significantly in seasons 2 and 3. I suppose it's still a "disappointment" in that it doesn't really live up to The Sopranos, but in no way is it near the same level of stupid and frustrating and boring as Walking Dead.

Rogue_Ten and Darth_Invidious like this.
  5. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I'm assuming Treme didn't live up to Sopranos either. I doubt anything will...

6. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    My current TV show progression: three episodes into the fourth season of Breaking Bad, several episodes into the sixth season of Frasier, recently finished the second season of Downton Abbey, and got all caught up on Walking Dead.

Of the four shows I mentioned, Breaking Bad blows all the others out of the water, but Downton Abbey is still very, very good.

7. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Treme is rather different. :p I was only comparing BE to one of HBO's most successful shows because they're both mafia-centered, albeit in very different eras.

EDIT: Downton Abbey's quality plummeted in its second season. The silly soap-opera antics that marked the lowest points of season one (young, apparently healthy foreign dude drops dead for no reason 'CAUSE IT'S 1914 GUYZ THAT TOTALLY HAPPENED ALL THE TIME) were dialed up to 11; storylines were needlessly dragged out; the time progression through the four years didn't seem to match the progression of the storylines, which seemed mostly to treat WWI as though it lasted only 6 months. Nobody even appeared to age. Oh, and "Wasn't aristocracy grand?" was pushed more to the forefront. The Christmas special was better, but I gave up with the season 3 premiere. Maybe I'll finish if I run out of non-dumb things to watch, or if I feel a touch of masochism.

solojones likes this.
  8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I sometimes watch the news.

Ender_Sai likes this.
  9. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    is that the one with jeff daniels?

AaylaSecurOWNED likes this.
  10. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    And Jim Carrey.

11. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Wait, Evan, really? I thought the whole point of Downton Abbey was that it was just very, very well done soap opera. Should my expectations have been adjusted?

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    It wasn't "very well done" past season 1, is my point. Perhaps I should re-watch the first season to see if my appreciation was unwarranted in the first place.

solojones and AaylaSecurOWNED like this.
  13. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I recently started watching season one. It was good, certainly, but there's been so much hype that it's the best thing ever that I felt kinda underwhelmed.

14. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Add me to the list of those indifferent or that otherwise hold Walking Dead with utmost "meh". I couldn't get past the first for or so episodes without being bored to tears. What an overrated show.

I've been catching up on quality TV over the holidays over Netflix. Breaking Bad was simply phenomenal. I started to watch Mad Men but a few minutes into the pilot I decided it wasn't my cup of tea. So I decided to go over Battlestar Galactica and am now working my way through the final season. Man, what happened to that show? Most of the first three seasons were phenomenal but all the metaphysical crap that started oozing through the end of the third season and then the Final Five thing that followed just frakked things up.

Been thinking of trying a sitcom after that. What's the best stuff out there right now?

15. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    This is one of those hyperbolically Even things to say.

Ender_Sai likes this.
  16. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    move to refer to him as unEven

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    How I Met Your Mother was good for a long time.I recently started Psych on Netflix; it's a mystery show, but I think it's categorized as a comedy.

If you're looking for shows currently on, The Big Bang Theory is still good, and I really like New Girl. (HIMYM and Psych are still going, too.)

18. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Sitcoms? You got to put community, and maybe Modern Family above those in the last post if you're yet to view. I assume you've seen Arrested Development.

19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    And then watch Happy Endings to see what would happen in HIMYM and Scrubs had a baby.

I haven't mustered the will to watch past the season 3 opener of Downton for all the same reasons Evan listed. If people are interested in that time period and social class but want to see it less glamorized and better acted and written, you should watch Parade's End on HBO soon.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I put The Big Bang Theory in my Netflix queue at the recommendation of a couple of JC'ers, watched the disc I got, and immediately bought the first two seasons. I only stopped at the first two because I can't justify to myself spending $100 or more on TV show DVDs at once. But the rest will be mine eventually.

I haven't enjoyed a TV show that much in a long time.

I put Game of Thrones in my Netflix queue as well but haven't gotten to it yet.

I used to watch Grey's Anatomy religiously but I stopped my last semester of grad school and I'm having a hard time catching up as to what's happened to all the characters in the past two years. I think Netflix will be to the rescue there as well.

And yeah, I know I just listed three shows from very different paradigms.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Netflix is seriously the best.

22. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    DANGER XOOONNNNEEE

Darth Guy likes this.
  23. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't even know what that's supposed to mean. :(

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It's part of your comedic genius.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I got the first season of The West Wing for Christmas. I have only seen the final two seasons when it was on TV and thought it was fantastic, so I am very very excited to be getting back into it. It's also on Netflix which is a great deal. I also have the second season of Arrested Development on DVD to watch along with Game of Thrones season 1. Busy busy.

26. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah it's nice finally having The West Wing on netflix... but is an example of why I'm not buying almost any shows on blu ray anymore. WW is one of many shows I have bought in its entirety which was then later put on instant. Even shows I do have on DVD I watch on instant, like AD. I guess the special features are nice but it's not like they have much replay value. The only exception on that recently is GoT.