main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[I am alright] I was held at gunpoint this morning

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by TheGuardianofArlon, Oct 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    That's probably an even better argument for gun control.

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    ....yes? There were 17,000 firearm suicides in 2004 alone.

3. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    Well the other causes could be from crime, poverty, lack of education, all sorts of things. That is why you need to study the actual issues and not compare things that may not be comparable when controlled for other factors which may or may not play a role.

And given that when people thought I was arguing that inner cities don't have gun crime problems they pointed out how stupid that was, I don't see why this is a debate.

4. swamp_ophelia

swamp_ophelia Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2003
    Okay, so lets look at this information, which is from Reuters, via the CDC:
    For the sake of argument, we are going to dismiss the correlation between gun ownership and gun death rate.

Why are Louisiana, Montana, Alaska, Tennesee, and Alabama so much more full of crime, poverty, and poorly-educated citizens than Hawaii, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Jersey, and New York?

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Ooh, is it because they're right wing states?

6. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    That wouldn't explain why Washington DC pretty much destroys every other area in terms of gun death rate. :p

7. SITH Lord Jay

SITH Lord Jay Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 1999
    This is why there are a lot more of these "hot" robberies in the UK than in the US. Criminals there know that if they break down a door there --even if someone's home -- they won't be standing with a gun on the other side, whereas here, more people have guns, so criminals are less likely to break in while they know people are there. While cases like Arlon's do happen in the US, they are far more uncommon than coming home to find your door smashed in and your stuff gone. Eliminating guns will only make home invasions while people are home more common -- and hence, more dangerous. What would you rather have, someone come in, rough you up, possibly stab you, and take your stuff, or someone break in while no one's home? Because, let's face it, no matter what your stance on gun control, the fact of the matter is criminals will always try to steal stuff.

8. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    the fact that correlation isn't causation is 1) blindingly obvious 2) a dumb talking point(see: point 1). no, it's finding correlations isn't truly conclusive, but then the only way to "prove" this in a scientific sense would be to draft people into experimentally controlled societies, legalize guns in one of them, and count the bodies(you could also try to control for these things statistically, but that seems like an unreasonable standard of argumentation for a message board).

in other words, looking at the data and making inferences from correlations is a perfectly acceptable way of defending one's perspective on this issue. plz stop regurgitating silly phrases

9. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Part of it's demographics and the history behind it.

10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Also, the fact that it's a a single city swallowed up by a state whose gun control laws are quite lax. While, in general, I find the value of the "criminals know you can't hurt them" arguments to be quite dubious, the extremely limited geographic area of DC combined with complete freedom/ease of movement into neighboring communities with drastically different gun laws would lend itself to a predilection for preferentially targeting the area. While I'm not at all convinced that criminals will relocate across state lines to "rob people that can't fight people" if the difference is a mere 10 minute drive in one direction or another, marginal costs are more than low enough to be easily overcome.

11. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    ****ing Virginia.

12. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Only Real Virginia, though. The communist part is okay with me.

13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    It's all that diversity Virginia's getting. [face_sick]

14. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Soon it'll end up like Compton or one of those other inner city places where it's not reasonable to consider socioeconomic factors or point out that correlation is not causation.

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    And lots of drive-bys.

16. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    And listen to I.C.P. whilst cooking meth.

17. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Espy is pretty much the new BobaFrank behind this ****.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    They's po'?

19. swamp_ophelia

swamp_ophelia Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2003
    I didn't say they were. Espaldapalabras did. Ask him about it. :p

20. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Also, the fact that it's the only state (state in quotes) that's 100% big city has to affect the statistics in a number of ways.

p.s. harlem with its $1000/mo studios is sooooooo ghetto guys.

21. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    I still believe people should be able to have guns, to answer your question pages ago Rogue.

22. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    I never asked that. I asked you this:

Oh and still no news from Mableton about this event...

23. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    News doesn't report everything. Besides no one was hurt or nothing, okay?

I can't help that you think it didn't happen, but it did. I wouldn't make this crap up.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Personally I have never had my home broken into and know of no-one in my loca area that has. Home robbery usually occurs in homes where there are easy escape routes e.g. out of the back through the garden or out of the front door again.
    The area where I live have houses backed on to each other, so no-one can rob me from the garden unless it was the neighbour in the house behind (in which case it would be easy for police to catch them). And the front door is deadlocked from the inside so were anyone to break in say through a window, they couldn't quickly escape through the door as they wouldn't be able to open it without a key.

Obviously that is beside the point though. Obviously people will always try and rob things regardless, but as I said, my chances of defeating someone armed with a melee weapon such as a bat or even a knife are strogner then if they had a gun.
    I can run down the hallway from anyone with a knife or other melee weapon and lock myself in a room and call the police. A burglar is more likely to flee in that situation rather then proceeding to rob a home if the Police are coming.
    If a robber had a gun I would be powerless. I can't run away or I'll probably be shot and neither can i approach and attempt to tackle them or they might shoot. So they can get away with it far more easily since the risk to them is lower.

25. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Besides your grammar?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.