main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social I am conducting a survey thread for my anthropology class. Anyone feel like answering?

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by sheepshroom, Feb 25, 2016.

1. sheepshroom

sheepshroom Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2016
    I am doing an interview or, survey for anyone who cares to answer. It's for my college anthropology class. I decided to study an online forum and chose this one because I like Star Wars. I will be posting the answers I get on my blog that I've had to make for the class, it would be awesome to get some help!

1. When did you join this site?

2. Why did you join?

3. Does this site help you feel more connected?

4. In what way?

5. How long have you been a fan of Star Wars?

6. Did you like the new movie, The Force Awakens?

7. Do you view this forum as a community?

8. Why or why not?

9. What is your favorite Star Wars movie?

10. Why?

11. Do you relate to any particular character in the saga more than others?

12. If you could use the force, what would you do with your power?

13. If you've watched The Force Awakens, who do you think Rey's Parents are?

14. What color lightsaber would you have if you had one.

15. Why that color?

For your time and help, thank you, I do! :yoda:

kylorobes likes this.
  2. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Welcome aboard! :)

I really hope that you aren't here just for your research or at least, learn through your research that it's worth to stay and have fun here. :)

I've seen some research threads so far. They never got many replies, so I think that it wasn't very successfull. It helps to be an acitve member for getting replies though. Just keep in mind, that it's fine to add a link to your survey in your signature, but it's not allowed to post about it in every second post.

Good luck! :)

3. sheepshroom

Feb 12, 2016
    Actually, I do plan to stick around, I do enjoy Star Wars, I've been a fan since I was a little kid. I was required to post a survey for my class. Thanks for the reply.

4. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    That's pretty cool to hear! :D

Good luck once more! [face_good_luck]

5. kylorobes

kylorobes Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 3, 2016

sheepshroom likes this.
  6. kylorobes

kylorobes Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 3, 2016

sheepshroom likes this.
  7. kennyboy

kennyboy Jedi Master star 2

Jun 16, 2006
    Best of luck with your research! Here are my answers:

1) I joined this site on June 16th 2006 according to my profile - this is the first time I've logged in and posted since 2009!
    2) Mostly to read and write fanfiction, but also to interact with other Star Wars fans.
    3) Yes, most definitely!
    4) Back when I was active on this site, it was so much fun discussing Star Wars with other people.
    5) Since I first saw a New Hope on TV back in 2002/2003.
    6) Liked it?! I loved The Force Awakens!
    7) Yes
    8) It is a unique place where people can share their love for Star Wars
    9) The Force Awakens
    10) It had everything I personally wanted in a Star Wars movie - it was dark and intense, and despite it obviously combining A New Hope with elements of the original EU, the story, characters and character development were all incredibly engaging and fun to watch. But the biggest thing that took the cake for me was that it was written by a competent team of writers and directed by a talented director - no disrespect to George Lucas but as much as I admire him for his imagination and coming up with Star Wars, a good writer and director he ain't! In my opinion anyway.
    11) Hmmm... I don't think so. I've never given it much thought to be honest.
    12) Use it for Jedi Mind tricks, read people's minds and to knock people and stuff over! [face_laugh][face_skull][face_batting] Oh and Force Lightening of course!
    13) Oh boy! Well they could be anybody! But I think Rey's father is probably more than likely going to be Luke. And if he is her father I really, really, really hope her mother is Mara Jade! But I'm hoping that she isn't related to the Skywalkers and is just a powerful Force-sensitive individual. In fact I would like it if her parents (or at least one of them) were also powerful force users who were hunted down and slaughtered by Kylo Ren and his knights.
    14) Dark Blue
    15) I think it would be cool!

Hope my answers helped! :)

sheepshroom likes this.
  8. BenToRen

BenToRen Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 25, 2016

1. Jan. 25th 2016

2. I wanted to talk about Star Wars with other fans like me.

3. Yes.

4. It's like a second family already!

5. 2 1/2 years

6. Heck yeah!

7. Yes

8. It's like a community irl where people are always there for each other.

9. ESB

10. I just like how it flows and all the events in it!

11. I think I'm kinda like Kylo and Anakin. A bit unstable with a terrible temper and strong opinions. I'm like Anakin especially in the fact that I love to tinker with electronics.
    I also have a bit of Leia's spunk and smarts in me...

12. Fight my enemies... maybe help people.

13. I'm pretty sure her dad is Luke but I really can't tell who her mom would be.

14. I can't decide between red and purple...

15. I love the red because it almost strikes fear into people and it's just an awesome color. However, the purple would be more feminine because I'm a girl and I like purple...

sheepshroom likes this.
  9. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    1. When did you join this site? May 8, 2015

2. Why did you join? To discuss one of my favorite things, Star Wars, with other people.

3. Does this site help you feel more connected? Yes.

4. In what way? It allows me to be connected to other fans and discuss various things with them.

5. How long have you been a fan of Star Wars? Since I was about 6.

6. Did you like the new movie, The Force Awakens? Yes, very much.

7. Do you view this forum as a community? Yes.

8. Why or why not? Because people discuss things in a kind a civilized manner, like a community.

9. What is your favorite Star Wars movie? Revenge of the Sith

10. Why? To me, the four most important things in a Star Wars film, among many other minor things, are: Great Story, Great Characters, Wonderful Musical Score, and Visual Spectacle (to a lesser degree than the other three, though). Revenge of the Sith, in my opinion, exemplifies these things the best out of any Star Wars film, although its definitely a close call. I love all 7 films.

11. Do you relate to any particular character in the saga more than others? I suppose I can relate to Anakin. I tend to have a bit of a temper from time to time.

12. If you could use the force, what would you do with your power? I guess help the greater good to the best of my ability.

13. If you've watched The Force Awakens, who do you think Rey's Parents are? I'm thinking Luke is her father.

14. What color lightsaber would you have if you had one. Red

15. Why that color? Not because I'm evil or anything, its just my favorite color. Maybe I would break the stereotype.

sheepshroom likes this.
  10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    1. When did you join this site? In August of 2004. Wow! [face_laugh]

2. Why did you join? I was venturing into reading fanfictions and after Googling, discovered the JCF.

3. Does this site help you feel more connected? To other fans, yes.

4. In what way? I connect with those whose writing talents amaze and entertain & whose tastes as to genres and characters coincide with mine. I also have branched into writing fics, as well.

5. How long have you been a fan of Star Wars? Since A New Hope. ;)

6. Did you like the new movie, The Force Awakens? Some parts of it.

7. Do you view this forum as a community? Yes.

8. Why or why not? It's a friendly place to exchange ideas and support other fans.

9. What is your favorite Star Wars movie? Return of the Jedi.

10. Why? I love how various personal things came together for the characters, Luke and Vader in particular. And the Han/Leia outcome was a delight. The way the Empire was toppled and Palps eliminated - :cool:

11. Do you relate to any particular character in the saga more than others? Luke, I think.

12. If you could use the force, what would you do with your power? I'd like to see myself as a healer of some kind.

13. If you've watched The Force Awakens, who do you think Rey's Parents are? Luke is totally her dad.

14. What color lightsaber would you have if you had one. Sapphire blue.

15. Why that color? It's pretty. [face_laugh]

sheepshroom likes this.
  11. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    August 2014, though sometime it says July. I guess it was July in the board's timezone.

2. Why did you join?
    Because I like Star Wars and I wanted to meet all kinds of people who do and befriend those I could find common ground with.

Yes and no.

4. In what way?
    Yes: I met one of my current best friends on here. And I hope we remain that way forever.

No: There is too much information to digest, this whole fandom is sometimes overwhelming!

There have been many breaks.

Yes, but I don't think it's ground-breaking in any terms other than having the kind of a strong female protagonist this type of a film never had.

Undecided.

8. Why or why not?
    All forums are known for popular and less popular people, grudges, cliques etc. I find that stuff tiring in general.

Return of the Jedi, with Revenge of the Sith close second.

10. Why?
    Two flawless, climatic films with the right pacing and important lessons. Emotion-packed scenes.

Yup. Teebo, the Ewok. I named myself after him, he's my avatar.

I like the idea of being connected to others, through telepathy.

Luke and whomever. Or Luke and the Force, even. Achtung, my theories are always this wacky.

14. What color lightsaber would you have if you had one?
    Green!

15. Why that color?
    Because I like green

12. Darth Kronos

Darth Kronos Force Ghost star 6

Jan 2, 2016
    January 2nd, 2016 I think

2. Why did you join?
    Boredom, probably.

To other people? Not really. I guess it has to do with the size of the whole forum. Over 400,000 people. I can't really connect to them, it's all too big!
    4. In what way?
    Bleh.
    Years. 14 years, maybe?
    Hell yes. It was quite a blast! Loved all the main characters, and I can't wait to see more of them.
    Connected? Not for me, but I'm not 400,000 other people. So, I'm sure they disagree with me, and can't relate to my opinions.
    8. Why or why not?
    Again, its size. Instead of a place feeling like everyone knows each other, it more feels like a place where strangers talk. But, then again, I am new here.
    The Empire Strikes Back.
    10. Why?
    It's quite brilliant. It improves upon the original, something a sequel rarely does. The story is more involving and darker, the characters are richer and more complex, the action is upped from the previous, it's a hell of a lot more emotional, giving me more emotional involvement with the movie, and even the special effects.
    Luke Skywalker. The farmboy who wants more out of life. We've all wanted to have more out of life at one point in our lives.
    Like Kylo Ren. Use it to freeze bullets, and use it to torture people. Also, the Force Choke is a pretty cool power. Yeah, I'm sadistic. >:D
    The most likely answer would be Luke. It just makes the most sense. It was said that Luke looked upon Rey is realization and immediately knew who she was (I believe this was in the novelization).
    Green.
    15. Why that color?
    I like green. You questioning me?! Don't question me!!!

Good luck on that assignment, by the way.

sheepshroom likes this.
  13. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    September 2015
    2. Why did you join?
    I never really liked forums but I've always been a big SW fan. I found this site and it seemed engaging.
    Yes, it does..
    4. In what way?
    I can connect with many Star Wars fans. I don't know many SW fans. This forum is very active which is a plus
    I can't even remember. It started when I was in elementary and saw the originals.
    Yes, I enjoyed it.
    Yes, I do.
    8. Why or why not?
    It is very active and has in-depth conversations about seemingly every aspect of this galaxy far, far away that we've grown to love.
    Not an easy question to answer because I love them all but I've always preferred Return Of The Jedi over the rest.
    10. Why?
    It caps off the entire saga perfectly. It brings the story full-circle. The settings are amazing, especially Jabba's Palace. The whole movie has an adventurous feel to it,
    I've always related to Han Solo.
    Use it for good. Master the ways to use it and help others with it anyway I could.
    Tough question but a good one. I would say she could be Luke's daughter but then again she could be from a different heritage. Can't wait to find out.
    Purple
    15. Why that color?
    It's unique and not green or blue like other Jedi colors. And I am a big fan of Windu's dueling style.

14. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    April 27, 2013
    2. Why did you join?
    Star Wars is my favorite fictional universe and I was looking for a big forum to discuss it.
    A little bit.
    4. In what way?
    I feel like I get a better understanding of what Star Wars fans enjoy
    As long as I can remember.
    It's great.
    Sort of
    8. Why or why not?
    It allows a lot of people to share their thoughts, but it is so massive that it is easy to feel like everyone is an island.
    The Empire Strikes Back
    10. Why?
    The characters are well-developed, the story is exciting and deeper than it seems, the score is amazing, and the lightsaber duel between Vader and Luke is about as good as fights get.
    Luke. He's a young man who has always dreamed of something better. He makes mistakes along the way, put still is able to pull through in the end and not let darkness swallow him.
    Manipulate people through the use of mind tricks and telekinesis.
    I would like to think Luke is her father.
    Orange
    15. Why that color?
    It's rare and is similar to red without having the stigma attached to red lightsaber blades.

Nyota's Heart and sheepshroom like this.
  15. sheepshroom

Feb 12, 2016
    Thank you guys so much for the replies!

16. sheepshroom

Feb 12, 2016
    I agree, purple is probably the coolest most rare lightsaber color. I personally think that Rey may be Obi One's daughter. Far fetched, I know. She may well be Luke's though too.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  17. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I think she may be Obi-Wan's daughter because how else would she have known to do the Jedi mind trick?? Must've come from within. sheepshroom

[​IMG]

18. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    The dates would NOT have matched up. She is 19 at TFA so Obi would be long dead.

Maybe grand daughter but I doubt it.

19. sheepshroom

Feb 12, 2016
    Perhaps she, like Anakin, was conceived by the metachlorians? Also not likely but it may explain her quick knowledge of the force without teaching.

20. panta1978

panta1978 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 20, 2016
    Last Sunday. I am new to this place!

2. Why did you join?
    I was looking forward to discussing my favourite films with people from all over the world!

If you mean connected to the Star Wars community. Yes. In a way neither Facebook nor other social media do.

4. In what way?
    I can communicate, I can flick through old posts, the structure is well designed and it's easy to find what you're looking for. Whereas Facebook pages.....

SInce 1992 (I was 14)

Yes. Apart from the Starkiller Base (I found it pointless).

Yes

8. Why or why not?
    I can communicate, exchange ideas, have fun...

The Empire Strikes Back

10. Why?
    Best sequel ever! Apart from "The Revelation", it introduces new characters such as Lando and most noticeably Yoda, it expands the Star Wars Universe the first film had started. Last but not least. John Williams' Empire March!

I'm keen on Vader's journey. From Slavery to Freedom, from Freedom to Slavery. WIth the final redemption.

Do I have to be honest? I'd mind trick people.

Shmi and The Force. Actually I believe She is Anakin Skywalker reincarnated.

A multi-colour lightsaber (like my avatar). A 7-colour rainbow lightsaber is what I'd like to have!

15. Why that color?
    Why not? Wouln't it be cool? As far as I know I' be the first (but I'm only familiar with the seven official films, little do I know about The War of Clones, the expanded universe, etc...).

For your time and help, thank you, I do!
    My pleasure.

Ewok Poet likes this.