main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I am confused

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth_MacDaddy, Jun 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Sorry if this has been posted before but I can't find it anywhere, but bear with me anyway.

In ANH OB1 is tasked with delivering the droids to Leias father on Alderaan, OK, then Alderaan is blown up by the Death Star, OK, Luke, Han, the Droids and OB1 arrive on the Death Star when OB1 goes off to take out the tractor-beam, as he is about to leave Luke tells him he wants to go with him, OB1 replies, "Stay with the droids they must be delivered safely or other planets/systems will suffer the same fate as Alderaan." OK, but Alderaan was blown up so where are the Droids going to be delivered to? ?[face_plain]

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    To the Rebel base on Yavin.

3. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    To the Rebel scum!

*edit* Damn Bib, beat me to it! :p

4. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    The reason why they wanted to go to Alderaan was to deliver the droids to trusted and high placed Alliance commanders. Since Alderaan was destroyed along with Bail Antilles, the droids had to go someplace else. Ben was telling Luke that the droids must make it to the Alliance HQ in order to defeat the Death Star, as to how it was left up to Luke. Thankfully for the Alliance Leia was aboard the Death Star and could lead them to Yavin IV.

5. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    To UNCLE NUTZY'S CLUBHOUSE!
    And boy-oh-boy, are we gonna have big fun today!

</UHF>

Weird Al loves you!

6. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "Since Alderaan was destroyed along with Bail Antilles..."

I think you meant Bail Organa. ;) Bail Antilles was 3PO's and R2's last master at the time of ANH. :)

Anyways, everyone else here pretty much answered the thread's question. The original point of taking the droids to Alderaan was so that Bail could then send the Death Star's complete technical readouts to the Rebellion. Since Alderaan was destroyed, they just delivered them straight to the Rebellion. :)

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    No, their master wasn't Bail Antilles; it was Captain Antilles.

Bail Organa, Captain Antilles, Bail Antilles and Wedge Antilles are all completely unrelated characters.

8. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Crap, LOL, you're right.

Bail Antilles from Alderaan was one of the three nominated to be Supreme Chancellor in TPM.

Ach, I can't believe I messed up like that. :(

"Captain Antiles was our last master..."

You were right. ;)

9. KolKotha

KolKotha Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 2, 2001
    Why does Lucas have to keep recycling the Antilles name? Would it be so hard to pick a different one for each character?
    I know he once said it was the equivalent of Smith or something in the real world but how many movies are there with several unrelated characters with the same surname who weren't part of the same family and not part of a plot device. Silly I think.

Well except for all the Smiths in Matrix 2.

10. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Bail Antilles probably was destroyed along with Alderaan, since that was his home ;)

11. Darth_Mouldywort

Darth_Mouldywort Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2003
    I am not sure that the answer to the question is as clear cut as it seems.

When OB1 says to Luke that he must safely deliver the droids, how did he expect Luke to know where to go. How did OB1 know where the Rebel base was - he had been a hermit for so many years that there would have been no way of him knowing this either. None of them knew at that point that Leia was on the Death Star and the only person who could have known the way.

Just a thought!!! :confused:

12. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    Since Alderaan was toast, Ben meant Dagobah.

Antilles must be like Smith in the SW universe.

13. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Ask the Jedi Council :)

Q: Are Bail Antilles and Bail Organa supposed to be the same character?

A: With the recent announcement that Jimmy Smits will play Bail Organa in Episode II, this previously unseen character is getting a lot of attention. Bail Organa is Princess Leia's adoptive father, and a representative from Alderaan. He perishes when the Death Star destroys that peaceful world in Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope.

Bail Antilles is also an Alderaanian politician. When Chancellor Valorum was ousted from office by a vote of no confidence, three nominees lined up to take his place: Ainlee Teem from Malastare, Palpatine from Naboo, and Bail Antilles from Alderaan. Although the scene was ultimately left out of the finished film, the script to Episode I shows that these two men were conceived of as separate characters. Both are mentioned. Bail Organa seconds the vote of no confidence; Bail Antilles is nominated to succeed Valorum.

Two Bails, two different characters. It should be noted that "Antilles" is sort of the Star Wars equivalent of "Jones," and "Smith." There have been numerous characters throughout the films, books, and expanded universe material named Antilles, but almost none of them are directly related. For instance, Corellian hotshot starfighter pilot Wedge Antilles is not related to Bail Antilles. Nor is he related to C-3PO and R2-D2's former master, Captain Antilles, the Rebel officer whom Vader chokes to death in the opening moments of A New Hope.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.