main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I am doing a project for class and I need...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Bravo, Jan 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Okay, I saw that. It is Home One. Sorry.

But either way, either for ship to ship battle we have to consider starfighters.

Rebel Alliance:

X-Wings
    Y-Wings
    B-Wings
    A-Wings
    Z-95-AF4 Headhunters

Galactic Empire:

TIE/In Starfighter
    TIE Interceptor
    TIE Bomber
    TIE/D Fighter
    TIE Advanced (Very rare)

2. Beny_Onbe

Beny_Onbe Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2001
    Sorry, I don't know anything about the technical aspects of SW ships, but your teacher must be really cool! My creative writing teacher let me write a NJO story but no one in my class understood it. :) You are one lucky guy!

3. Thief

Thief Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 29, 2001
    Ackbar wasn't saying the rebel fleet stood no chance because they were outnumbered; the Empire had only 27 or so Star Destroyers present (Return of the Jedi and Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II).

Ackbar's First Star captain warned him that the Imperial Star Destroyers were significantly more heavily armed, and more heavily armoured than the Calamarian cruisers, and Ackbar confirmed his estimation (RotJ novelisation).

It has more powerful engines, greater firepower, more heavily armoured, enjoys superior technology, far greater support capabilities, and greater psychological presence. By any standards, it qualifies as a superior warship, particularly as a ship of the line.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    But either way, either for ship to ship battle we have to consider starfighters.

That will make it impossible to calculate. You have original TIE fighters vs. X-Wings, TIE Advanced vs. Y-Wings... any combination you can think of could exist. That's why when asking "Which ship would win this fight, back it up with numbers" you simply have to go by ship numbers.

Also remember, AT-ATs can walk on the outside of a Star Destroyer for close-combat anti-air fire. Not recommended, but can be done in a pinch. Plus, what about Blastboats, and Gunboats, etc... too many variables...

5. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    I can not have the report no longer then 6 pages long.

I never heard that AT-AT's can do that! That must be really cool!

Okay, lets get some numbers:

Rebel Alliance MC80:

2 X-Wing Squadrons
    1 Y-Wing Squadron

Imperial Star Destroyer Mark 1:

4 TIE/In Starfighter Squadrons
    1 TIE Interceptor Squadron
    1 TIE Bomber Squadron

(((More Infromation will come soon)))

Who would win if both ships (MC80/ISD1) had no starfighter squadrons, no gunboats, no support craft. Who would win?

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Who would win if both ships (MC80/ISD1) had no starfighter squadrons, no gunboats, no support craft. Who would win?

Though the math may be a tad fuzzy, I believe me and my Excel answered that question as statistically as possible up above... :)

7. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "Officially" external shield systems(from the official EG guides):

mon cal cruisers have huge bulbous external shield deflector-generators in several places.

mon remonda the same.

dreadnaughts have a big huge target sized bulb for a deflector-shield projectors.

eclipse star destroyer has small boxes scattered all over the ship as it's shield prejector aray. And a box shaped deflector shield command on the controle tower.

super star destroyer has 2 deflector domes on it's bridge.

hapes nova battle cruiser strip like shield prejectors on the wings, and power core near the bridge, which is protected by deployable metal foldout bridge shields.

hyperspace marauder 2 block like external shield generators along the ship's axis, near the bridge.

Imperial star destroyer, domes on the bridge.

Lancer frigate, 2 teardropped shaped protrusions near the bridge.

nebulon-b frigate, big block shaped generator on a support beam, near the engines.

shree-class battle cruiser, bulbs on the front of the ship.

fw'sen-class picket ship, blocks on the side of the ship.

sh'ner-class planetary assault carrier, bulbs on the front of the ship.

Star Home,ring of big huge panels near the castle section of the ship.

starlight intruder, block like panels on the back of the ship, near the engines.

Victory star destroyer, domes on the bridge.

World Devastator, huge circuler projector located just to the side of the undercarriage of the ship.

The Ins and Outs of Shield Generators and Projectors, v. 6.2: by darthseti and tears of palpatine.

I. Shield Operation:

i. Energy from the main reactor core enters the shield generators, where it is increased by a large factor and converted into a form of energy (?purified energy? able to be used by the projectors.

ii. Purified energy is routed from the generators to the shield projectors; there, the energy is converted into a ?deflector shield,? which is then projected around the ship, typically in a hull-hugging fashion.

II. Shield Failure:

i. Projector capacitors allow a safe power-down in the event of a failure of the shield generators until another energy source is procured. Although very uncommon, at times small amounts of shield energy residue remain in the capacitors, sometimes allowing 7.5 per cent or less shield energy to exist for a short time. There are some documented cases of shield residue higher than 7.5 per cent, sometimes as high as fifteen per cent, but this is extremely uncommon.

ii. In the event of a failure of the shield generators, technicians will attempt to reroute ?crude energy? directly from the main reactor core to the shield projectors in order to reëstablish shield functions. Because the crude energy has not been refined into purified energy, the projectors are only able to function at approximately 25 per cent of maximum capacity; performance levels in excess of 25 per cent are documented, and are typically found on older ships with more experienced crews.

iii. Deflector shields remain up when generators are overloaded, but cannot be replenished and are therefore easily brought down by salvoes from enemy vessels.

iv. Deflector shields drop completely when projectors are overloaded, and this constitutes a serious threat as projectors are not as easily replaced as generators.

III. Shield Types

i. Particle deflector shields, which are closely hull-hugging in most warships, function as a sort of invisible and mass-less wall surrounding the ship. Solid materials, such as asteroids and starfighters, are vapourised on contact with the particle deflector shields. These are operating at all times in order to protect the ship from micrometeorites, and are only lowered in order to make repairs, receive or send HoloNet transmissions, and (in localised regions) to receive or launch smaller vessels. The absorption of kinetic energy and vapourisation of solid matter depletes the shields, thus necessitating constant replenishment.

ii. Ray deflector shields, which tend to hull h

8. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Considering TIE/Ds don't seem to appear post-Battle of Calamari, their inclusion is not required. Looking to the Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels, we find that it is said most of the initial factories to produce this model, the World Devastators, were destroyed in this battle. It goes on to further say that engineers and programmers are trying to improve the TIE/Ds droid interface in an attempt to improve preformance. Until that happans, manufacturers are more intrested in devoting their resources to the more traditional models.

As for taking fighters into consideration, we can do that. Yet we need to keep in mind that TIEs have also been used by the Alliance/New Republic, with atleast one case of TIEs being flown off of a Mon Cal Cruiser. However, in most cases the Alliance/New Republic fighters have advatages which give them an edge over the TIEs. Shields, hyperdrive units, projectile weapons. Most often the advantage for the various TIE models, in a one-on-one battle, is speed and manuverability. Yet at the same time these advantages can be disadvantages. Few TIE models also feature the advantages that the Alliance/New Republic fighters can boast.

Yet some TIE models which would not normally feature these advantages are enhanced with post production add-ons to feature these. TIE Fighter does show some TIEs and Interceptors given shields or torpedo launchers, and Wraith Sqadron features at least on Interceptor which has been given a hyperdrive unit (and maybe shields, I can't recall at this moment). So we know that these add-ons exsist.

9. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Even though it is said by some Imperial Captain that a Mon Cal Cruiser can out-fight an ISD, this is attributed to the better captaincy and crewmanship and starfighters within the Alliance/New Republic.
    However, on the stats provided by Rebellion the PC Game

MON CALAMARI CRUISER
    Cost: 92
    Maintenance: 70
    Fighter capacity: 3
    Troop capacity: 1
    Shield strength: 300

Hyperdrive rating: 60
    Hull strength: 2400
    Damage control: 50
    Shield recharge: 15
    Tractor beam: 2
    Sublight engine rating: 4
    Maneuverability: 2
    Detection rate: 10
    Weapon recharge: 18
    Bombardment rate: 2

Fore Aft Port Starboard
    Turbo Lasers 60 60 120 120
    Ion Cannons 40 40 60 60
    Laser Cannons 0 0 0 0

IMPERIAL STAR DESTROYER
    Cost: 112
    Maintenance: 71
    Fighter capacity: 6
    Troop capacity: 3
    Shield strength: 300

Hyperdrive rating: 80
    Hull strength: 2750
    Damage control: 30
    Shield recharge: 15
    Tractor beam: 3
    Sublight engine rating: 4
    Maneuverability: 1
    Detection rate: 10
    Weapon recharge: 20
    Bombardment rate: 2

Fore Aft Port Starboard
    Turbo Lasers 100 40 60 60
    Ion Cannons 100 40 40 40
    Laser Cannons 0 0 0 0

I know that VSD's have a weak spot in their shields (like one hit kill) from New Rebellion, do ISD's have the same problem?

10. RaptorRage

RaptorRage Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    "About the x-wing series;

Note that it was force users who did those feats, and it's chronicles in the novelization farlander papers/strat guide, and Stele chronicles/strat guide. The Force would have given stele, and farlander super powers, the advantage of which, any other would not have. The advantage which allows them to do what they did."

That may be a good explaination for the game backstories, but I was referring to the actual game play, including in X-wing Alliance. Ace Azameen wasn't a Force user, and playing as his character I destroyed two ISD's using only my X-wing's lasers, with no support from any other ships. It was accomplished by taking out the shield generators then quad-firing the lasers until the hull was critically compromised. That can be used as an argument in favor of the computer game mechanics being skewed for the starfighters, because it would be pretty much impossible for a single X-wing in the movies or EU to take out a Star Destroyer in a direct assault using only its lasers...

11. Communista

Communista Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2001
    right on, raptor rage,

plus, Star Destroyers are designed for attack and pursuit. Their gun arcs face forwards and the whole "angular design" thing mention in the technical commentaries.

Standard Mon Cal's are tough SOBs, but they couldn't stand up to an ISD. Two could defeat on easily though. (that's the rule always used).

Heavier Mon Cal's Like Mon Remonda and Home One could stand up to a SSD, though they would rely on Starfighter to inflict most of the heavy damage.

As for the shield domes? Well, they could perhaps only cover the bridge tower, making that out of control awing a deadly assault on their CnC. I always envisaged shields being more localised and variable on heavier ships, not just the general "100%" crap thats in the games.

adious amigos

12. RaptorRage

Nov 17, 2001
    That's another point to clarify. In ROTJ the A-wing wasn't intentionally rammed into the bridge, it took a laser hit and went spinning out of control, and just so happened to hit the bridge module. The bit about it being intentional seems to be from an Imperial perspective as written in some sourcebooks. This allows the Imperials to save some small amount of face from the embarrassment of losing their command ship, which would be even worse if they acknowledged that it was due to an accident or by coincidence, rather than in an intentional ramming attack.

13. Elite_Guard

Elite_Guard Jedi Master star 2

Oct 7, 2001
    playing SW Rebellion-

a MonCal will beat a Imperial if the human player is the Rebels.

an Imp1 will beat a MonCal is the human player is the Empire

14. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    You guys have been a lot of help. Thanks. I have class, but when I get back, I'll read all the lastest posts, and I might have a few more questions.

15. Eva_Pilot04

Eva_Pilot04 Jedi Knight star 7

Nov 15, 2001
    I wish I could major in Star Wars!! :_| ;)

16. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Which ship would win if:

Mon Calamari MC80 or ISD1?

Both ships launched there fighters, and both ships were head to head at the start?

Also, what is the most likly Imperial and Mon Calamari tactic against each other (ships)?

17. Eva_Pilot04

Eva_Pilot04 Jedi Knight star 7

Nov 15, 2001
    The ISD1 would win... though definitely by a small margin. The MC80s primary strength lies in defense, the ISD1, offense. Mon Cal ships have slightly stronger hull plating and, though their shields are marginally weaker, they have more back-ups than the ImpStar. But, these particular ships are modified passenger liners. They were never really built to hold weapons; so there are less of them, and their placement is less strategic. In addition, their starfighter bays are kind of jury-rigged in place. Therefore, they are less efficient, have poorer maintanence facilities and a smaller capacity.

ImpStars, on the other hand, are time-tested, dedicated warships. Their weapons are placed to give each gunner the best fire-arc possible. They have stronger shields than MC80s and their guns are more powerful. They were also designed to hold starfighters, so they can pack more in and have superior maintanence capability.

But even if both ships were more or less equal in capability, another factor that could tip the balance towards the Empire is tactics. An Imperial commander would no doubt be more ruthless in his/her attack. His goal would be to destroy, whereas the Mon Cal captain, at least initially, would seek to disable.

Here's how I see the battle going:

Both sides launch fighters. TIEs, being superior in number, would serve to both draw enemy fighter fire from the ISD as well as assist in weakening the MC80's shields. The various rebellion fighters would be pretty busy taking out the TIEs, so most of the fire directed at the ISD would come from the MC80.

Since the ImpStar captain would most likely want nothing more than to take the opposing ship "out of his sky," he'll most likely dedicate at least half of his firepower on the engine/reactor sections (starships are usually destroyed because of engine/reactor detonation rather than pure weapons' fire). The remaining guns would target weapons. (Also, any attacking TIE groups would target the same sections).

The Mon Cal captain, at least initially, would focus on battering weak points in the shield grid in order for his ion cannons to go to work. He would of course target engines and weapons on and off as well. (I highly doubt the two globes are actually sheild emmiters. It wouldn't be strategically sound to put them in such a vulnerable position. So, I'm not listing them as potential targets). After the battle starts to go south, he'll naturally "go for the kill," but since that was the ImpStar captain's goal from the beginning, it would be far too late. The ISD gets another notch on its hull. ;)

18. RaptorRage

Nov 17, 2001
    72 TIE Fighters vs 36 Rebel fighters...

If the TIEs tried a head on attack they would individually be destroyed much faster than the Rebel fighters with shields. But if the pilots were smart they would not engage in an attrition battle like that, and would probably employ more complex formations and attack patterns when closing in to prevent massive losses in a head on engagement. If the TIEs can get close enough to get into a dogfight and turning battle they can use their greater maneuverability as an advantage.

An ISD 1 can fire almost all of its weapons in the forward arc due to its wedge shape, whereas the MC80 may be able to get up to 1/2 of its weapons firing forward. In a head to head attack the ISD 1 would have the advantage.

19. YunYammka

YunYammka Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2001
    Just a suggestion. You might try the Star Wars Technical Commentaries. You can find a link under hosted sites at TF.N. The site hasn't been updated in a while, but it has some interesting ship stats, hyperspace hypotheses, and a some essays on engine mechanics for cap. ships.

20. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Oooo, tactics now. Actually, I don't know if we've seen much on tactics to be used by these ships against each other. We do see various tactics from time to time. But particular tactics designed for a Mon Cal Cruiser to take out an ImpStar in one-on-one combat, and vice versa, doesn't seem like something that much has been published on. Someone like Genghis or Valiento may know more on this than I would.

Yet it seems to me that a good tactic to use against an ImpStar for a Mon Cal Cruiser would be to get under it. It seems like there's very few turbolasers and ion cannons on the ventral side of the ImpStar. Most seem to be located on the dorsal side. Of course I may be terribly wrong with that thought. But if not, then the Star Destroyer would have to get the Mon Cal Cruiser out from under it or else it would suffer heavy damage from below. This same tactic might work on a Mon Cal cruiser as well, though it seems that they have a decent number of turbolasers on the dorsal and ventral surfaces. Certainly this seems to hold true for the Mon Remonda, though it is more of a bridge between the MC80 class of Mon Cal cruisers and the MC90 class.

21. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    This thread will help me out in my essay. Thanks a lot gals and guys.

Imperial Star Destroyers have many weak points. Probally its greatest weak points are:

Starfighter pilots (mostly rookies)

Shield Domes (Easy to target and to destroy)

Shield Domes theory:

Fleet Admiral Christan Taylor, the owner of Galactic Empire Data Bank says the reason the shield domes are out side the hull, and not inside the ship, like most ships is due to the fear that if one of those domes blow up inside the ship, the ship would either be destroyed or would not be able to fight any more.

Imperial Tactics:

If the Imperial Captain was smart, he would wait to launch his starfighters, until the rebel fighters were right at his door step, thus the TIE's would have cover from the ISD. But, most captains, esp. Imperial captains probally want the X-Wings, B-Wings, and Y-Wings as far away as they can get them. So this is what I would do:

1. Draw the Rebel fighters in, just with in firing range of the turbolasers. Then, launch all starfighters and half of the gun boats and other combat support craft.

2. Tractor Beam the MC80 if possabile.

3. Drill the MC80 to death

Mon Calamari Tactics:

Mon Calamri tactics are diffent, probally. A smart Mon Calamri captain would stay right out side the range of the ISD's tractor Beams. This is what I would do:

1. Battle the ISD at long ranges

2. Launch all support craft (attack the ISD)

3. Mirco Jump around, so the ISD cannot find a weapons lock so easily.

What do you gals and guys think?

22. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "That may be a good explaination for the game backstories, but I was referring to the actual game play, including in X-wing Alliance. Ace Azameen wasn't a Force user, and playing as his character I destroyed two ISD's using only my X-wing's lasers, with no support from any other ships. It was accomplished by taking out the shield generators then quad-firing the lasers until the hull was critically compromised. That can be used as an argument in favor of the computer game mechanics being skewed for the starfighters, because it would be pretty much impossible for a single X-wing in the movies or EU to take out a Star Destroyer in a direct assault using only its lasers..."

Well, azzameen's story is novelized in the X-wing alliance strat guide as well, and he accomplished it all according to that. So either he had the force or was an extremly lucky pilot. I haven't read the novelization to see if it says he isn't a force user.

According to the stories in stele chronicles/strat, and farlander papers/strat, they accomplished everything as well.

So yes these characters are super special cases in the scheme of things.

23. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    (every scene chronicled for 2 of those characters, except when it switches to lukes point of view for a mission, or when it says that azzameen was one of the people helping fly the falcon.(there are 4 main pilot positions in the falcon))

24. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    1. Draw the Rebel fighters in, just with in firing range of the turbolasers. Then, launch all starfighters and half of the gun boats and other combat support craft.

That doesn't seem like such a hot idea. The Alliance/New Republic fighters would tend to be able to dance around the turbolasers. While you are giving them your fighters to deal with at that range, potentially makeing it more likely to hit them with turbolasers, you'd be more opening yourself to devastating proton torpedo attacks. Plus the Alliance/New Republic fighters would get even closer to your ship, despite having to deal with your TIEs and other combat craft, which would also open you to the threat of proton torpedo attacks. You're safer to keep them at bay, unless you have modified your ImpStar by adding anti-starfighter lasers to your armament (without looseing your other armament, though you would undoubtedly suffer losses in other areas). This way you could bring them in close, then target them fairly quickly with weapons designed to do just that. While there is still the threat of proton torpedo attacks, space being filled with lasers, turbolaser, and fighters would make it much harder for them to hit their mark.

25. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.