main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph I AM GUNN: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, Holiday Special & I Am Groot

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Sep 10, 2012.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    [​IMG]

AU.S. pilot ends up in space in the middle of a universal conflict and goes on the run with futuristic ex-cons who have something everyone wants.

Joss Whedon tells us something about the movie:

“[Director] James [Gunn] is what makes me think it will work. I myself was sort of like, ‘Well, I liked Rocket Raccoon as a kid, but I’m not sure how that plays [to a wider audience].’ And then they said, ‘Well, we’re thinking about using James Gunn.’ And I said, ‘Oh, then no, you’re fine.’ He is so off the wall, and so crazy, but so smart, such a craftsman and he builds from his heart. He loves the raccoon. Needs the raccoon.”

“He has a very twisted take on it, but it all comes from a real love for the material. “It’s going to be hard for the humans to keep up. I know he’s going to come from left field and I’m going to go, ‘What?’ And then, ‘Of course, why didn’t I think of that?’ And then I’m going to beat him!”​

Darkslayer and hear+soul like this.
  2. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008

Fixed. ;)

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    WTB [The Infinity Gauntlet] PST?

Darkslayer likes this.
  4. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, fixed like a dog.

5. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    This movie is going to be better than the Avengers. Groot!

jp-30, Darkslayer and hear+soul like this.
  6. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Hey now. I got my dog fixed and he finally quit marking up the yard when I let him out.

Now he just has this really sad look on his face.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  7. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Get your dog some Neuticles--prosthetic replacements for the parts that are "missing", specially made for all breeds & size of dog. No, I'm not making that up. They exist. Seriously.

Rocket Racoon? Seriously? I remember the 4-issue miniseries back in the early 80s, as a spin-off of a wacko issue of Incredible Hulk (#271), but the idea that the world or character continued from that point never occurred to me. Wow, someone must have been desperate for goofy ideas.

8. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Rocket Raccoon's creator gave him a facelift and brought him back earlier this decade.

hear+soul likes this.
  9. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    If the quality is up to recent Marvel projects, there's no doubt I'll absolutely love this more than any of the others, but I doubt it will have the same box office success.

hear+soul likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Though we've been discussing it briefly over in the general Marvel movie thread, figure it'd be a good time to bump this as casting starts to get under way. Over the last two months we've already had Chris Pratt cast as Star-Lord and wrestler Dave Baustista cast as Drax the Destroyer (unfortunately, IMO, beating out Jason Momoa who was also up for the role).

Tons of rumors for possible voice roles (presumably Rocket Raccoon), but so many it's hard to take anything to seriously at this point: Jim Carrey, H. Jon Benjamin, Adam Sandler (please no), Jason Statham and Michael Rooker, among others.

Another rumor floating about, though likely just extrapolation from the symbols in that teaser artwork, is we will get to see Nova and/or the Nova Corps at some point in the film (which seems pretty plausible given that the film is saidd to be "set 95% in space"- it's also hilarious that, following the underperformance of Green Lantern, Marvel's knock-off of the GLC may very well become more successful than the GLC itself in theaters.. though possibly even a pattern given the Darkseid/Thanos similarities as well).

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm not that familiar with the source material, but it has to be better than Green Lantern right?

Jedi Merkurian and Souderwan like this.
  12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    My only exposure to Nova Corps is through the first book of Annihilation (and the first arc of Secret Avengers, but he wasn't himself in that arc). The similarity basically breaks down to "space cops"- from there they diverge, but on the surface, they serve the same function within their respective universes.

hear+soul likes this.
  13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Green Lantern was fun if you didn't think how stupid the plot was and how it made almost no logical sense. Peter Saarsgard was hilarious.

14. Amatsu Mikaboshi

Amatsu Mikaboshi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    I am not on board with Bautista being in there, but if he gets a role that has no speaking lines I will be alright with it I guess. I love the Guardians, one of my favorite comics. I get excited in the pants when I think about seeing Gamora on screen.

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    There is a possibility for Adam Warlock to crop up here. That is one of my favs of all time.

Jedi Merkurian and Frank T. like this.
  16. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    yeah fixed like a frog! haha

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    QFT. Thanos Quest/Infinity Gauntlet/Infinity War is one of my favorite arcs. I like to pretend that Infinity Crusade didnt happen :p

In addition to the GL comparisons, what about Drax/Hulk? Hulk even lampshaded it when the brawled once. His internal dialog was "hey, I thought I was the smarter of the two lumbering green brutes on this block!"

Frank T. likes this.
  19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I co-sign every word of this. I will add that I re-read the entire Starlin run of Strange Tales/Power of Warlock (minimally) every 6 months.

Oh, and Pipman the Terrible was brilliant. Saving grace of 'Crusade'.

Frank T. and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  20. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Statham, Sandler and Carrey would simply be stunt casting....makes about as much sense to me as getting Hugo Weaving as Megatron.

I think the best choice would be Tom Kenny.

EDIT -- After hearing the MvDC3 clips.....John Di Maggio

21. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Yeah...you just cant have anything pertaining to the Infinity Gauntlet w/o involving Adam Warlock.

Best. Brawl. Ever! Was in the Infinity War when X-Men, East AND West Coast Avengers, Alpha Flight, and the Fantastic Four tried to gang up on Thanos and the Infinity Watch. Pip made a valiant accounting of himself that day. It was a battle so epic that it took Dr. Strange and friggin Galactus to break it up! :-B :p

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    POWER!!! UNLIMITED POWER!!!!
    [​IMG]

Jedi Merkurian and Frank T. like this.
  23. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I think one of my favourite comic sequences ever is from Starlin's Warlock: the Magus is counting down to blasting Adam with radiation that will summon the In-Betweener and condemn Adam to his future as the Magus, Adam is preparing to counter this, and Gamora is sneaking up on the Magus to knife him in the back. It ends with the Magus blasting Adam and back-handing Gamora simultaneously. A few pages later a space-warp appears and Thanos steps through, entering Warlock's life as an ally! It was really jaw-dropping stuff, beautifully paced and rendered.

Edit:
    [​IMG]

24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  25. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    I have the entire run of this series; I'll have to track this one down...