main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph I AM GUNN: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, Holiday Special & I Am Groot

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Sep 10, 2012.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Early RT reviews are being posted too- though it's bound to drop at least a little bit, it's currently at 100%.

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Marvel's Star Wars Lite

Like Mr Burns, I know what I hate. And I don't hate this. Not from the trailers at any rate.

Nobody seems to be calling it a classic for the ages, but Hollywood Reporter and Variety are all in. I'm guessing this will be an upside box office surprise whether or not it goes big enough to take down Transformers, which still seems unlikely at this point.

3. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    It will succeed. It must succeed! Bay4mers's success vexes and offends me beyond reckoning.

4. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    $921 million worldwide, and counting.

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    25 reviews so far, 100% positive. That makes me positive.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    In other news- Gunn is set to write and direct GOTG2. That's good to hear, since it seems this movie, more than any other MCU franchise, seems like it'll really be dependent on the style of the director (with exception to Whedon).

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I am incredibly excited to see it getting good reviews. I was genuinely unsure about this one. It definitely looked like it had the potential to be great, but it also definitely had the potential to suck hard.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I might be doing the midnight showing with my lady friend. She wants to.

9. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    When GotG was first announced I thought Marvel/Disney were just trying to cash in on the success of The Avengers with another "super team". The problem with that being there was no carefully crafted set-up this time, and the relative obscurity of GotG. I thought "Gee, what's next, Power Pack?" But then I saw that first trailer and it hit me that GotT isn't The Avengers, it's the Anti-Avengers. It's quirky and whimsical and not at all like the films of the Avengers universe. Ever since then I've become more and more excited for this. I still had questions about whether or not they could pull it off, but I liked what they seemed to be attempting. I'm very pleased to see the strong critical response thus far.

10. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    25 positive reviews on RT.

If it can make it to about 40 reviews with, maybe 1 negative, then that usually means that it can possibly stay in the 90% range by the end. Good thing is that the positive reviews are very positive with little criticism at all. Most of them saying the same thing.

If it does stay in the 90% area that will be 3 Marvel movies this year to have done so.

11. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Yes, but will it be positively reviewed?

12. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    If Nerdist is to be believed, I was right.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  13. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    And the Whedonites will be blowing up the Internet (or at least Twitter)

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  14. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Gutted, I had tickets for first showing on Thursday and I now have to go to work. As a result I now can't watch it till the evening. I'm going to be even more annoyed at being in on Thursday now.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I know the feeling- the trade off for me to getting to see Marvel movies on a full sized IMAX screen in NYC is that I have to pass on the midnight screenings due to train schedules, and, thus, have to wait for a Friday night showing. But it's totally worth it, even if I'm dead tired at work the following morning.

16. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    the planet would stop moving if that actually happened.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    RT score is at 96% with 28 reviews now. That's still pretty damn impressive, though.

18. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    So many of those reviews are using the same buzzwords to describe this movie. All I can glean is that the movie is funny and fun. The one dissenting opinion is getting hate mail in the RT forums.

19. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Ironically that one negative review is the only review I've seen on any homepage, hope that doesn't hurt the word of mouth.

20. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    The negative AP review seems like a limp gripe about it not being Ghostbusters level genre comedy.

21. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Down to 93% now with 37 positive and 3 negative.

Anyone going to place bets on what the secret post credit scene is going to be? I'm guessing a Captain Marvel/Ms Marvel related one.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Unless they already filmed an Avengers-related one for the mid credits stinger, I almost think it has to be some form of Avengers teaser. Clearly not the extended trailer from SDCC, but some form of it (like the hammer party ending with Ultron's arrival as the cliffhanger; or a version of the Hulkbuster scene).

But if they are keeping the cosmic GOTG stuff off to the side, so to speak, then I'd say either Nova or Captain Marvel would be the best bet. Nova would be easier to do without a casting announcement- just need the armor and some other situations, whereas to involve Carol, the best they could do is pan up to a flight suit, uniform or computer screen with her name on it.

I suspect it'll be both, though- one GOTG/cosmic/Nova/CM for the midcredits and one for AOU as the post credits finale stinger.

23. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Could be. I was kind of expecting it to be Captain Mar'vel deciding to go to Earth after the events of Guardians to check humanity out or something.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Could still be- they've only talked about filming one stinger so far, but we know Marvel upgraded to two stingers with Thor 2 & TWS, so an AOU preview clip wouldn't be something they'd have to film separate;y since whatever they'll be showing is already in the can.

25. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Two words:

Space Shawarma