main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I am in the mood to write a tutorial.

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by PixelMagic, Aug 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    I want to write a tutorial. What kind of tutorial do you guys wanna see the most that generally isn't found on this site? I'll take considerations from you guys and then write one.

2. webwiz03

webwiz03 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2002
    Hmm.. your lighting tutorials always get me excited (and I mean that in a totally non-sexual way). Maybe describe a different/new method you use? I say stick with what you're good at. :D

Regards,
    Kai

EDIT: Had to throw in that whole "non-sexual" part ;)

3. CarlCampbell

CarlCampbell Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2002
    Heehee, Kai, Pixel has actually used mine in an occasion if I remember correctly :D Anyhow, I'd really like to see some photorrealistic lighting though. Your droid one is quite confusing and could be layed out a bit better. Anyhow, if you said you can't model well.... how about some space tutorial? Something other than lighting like photorealistic earth or particle smoke or something, like you did in your NASA animation. Any tutorial would be cool though... :)

Carl

4. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    You seem to be one of the better compositors on the Forum ... how about something dealing with compositing?
    With SCREEN SHOTS and/or Ryan_W-esque video? :D

5. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    That's interesting Tac. Cause I suck when it comes to compositing green and bluescreen shots, however, I am getting better :). What kind of compositing do you mean?

Anyone else think of something? Perhaps I will write two.

6. The Jedi Apprentice

The Jedi Apprentice Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 1999
    particle smoke would be nice. :D

7. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    How about a tutorial on how you made that picture with you in the foregound with the Terragen picture in the back?

It looked really good, I'd like an in-depth look at how you did it.

8. mpfjr

mpfjr Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 8, 2001
    Whatever tutorial you decide on, make sure it has a lot of cute redheads.

9. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    eagle, i thought he just erased the background in photoshop and added the terragen picture underneith

Realistic explosion lighting in max, blooming clouds of smoke would be extremely helpful for me right now.

10. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    I'm not too good with fire and smoke guys. And that terragen shot was easy. I just added a photoshop layer in commotion and blue-screened the sky out.

11. Gardulo

Gardulo Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    I desire A tutorial on Animating Yoda pleeeeeeeaaaaaaaaase

Or how about that fire you did for the ship in your NASA test? that was Nice
    Or maybe your secret studio max settings that allow you to render so fast with a pentium 233 mmx
    Just suggestions.

12. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    How about modelling a Stormtroopers helmet using Ãœbernurbs?

13. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    Oh, I know!
    I need precisely one FX shot I can't do for our film (because I don't have a stormtrooper model, nor a way to import one)... how about making a tutorial of that?
    Basically, a stormtrooper falls through the ceiling into the trekkie bridge. Not very difficult (especially for you)

Interested?

14. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    I know, you could make a tutorial on how to make a fanfilm...from beginning to end. hehe, j/k.

Really though, i would enjoy any tutorial about Max.

15. predinator

predinator Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2001
    I would like to see a tutorial on how to ignite a lightsaber in AE / Photoshop, as this is rarely covered.

Good Luck with whichever you decide upon.

16. Macho

Sep 21, 2001
    LOL Daft!!!
    I feel your pain, o man i feel your pain! Why dont you just jack the helmet from the one at sci-fi3d?

andakin, why cant you import a trooper model? That is a pretty easy shot to get done

preditor, have a blade ignite is pretty easy in after effects have one key frame of it at nothing and the other fully extended.
    In photoshop you need to make it get longer frame by frame

17. darthjoeman

darthjoeman Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2002
    make a post for that spiderman.

18. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    Anything explosion related (if possible.)

How about a movie of your lighting tutorial????

I have tried your tutorial several times and just can't get it as good as you can... maybe if I saw it being done it would help alot.

Or maybe ground matching... how to get things that are standing on the ground to LOOK like they are STANDING ON THE GROUND... and their feet is actually walking on it.... that would be cool.

But I think a movie tutorial would definatly be really helpful for your lighting tutorial...it's pretty advanced and kind of hard to follow at spots.

But Either ground matching or a light matching movie... i would LOVE that.

Plus, I would convert if it made you happy :p

(j/k btw)

Cya
    Mike

19. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    I definately think the consensus around here is a nice fire tutorial, you can't deny the NASA fire wasn't the best fire effect made on this board.

20. CarlCampbell

CarlCampbell Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2002
    A video tutorial would be cool. I made one using the lighting technique I taught you, Pix and recorded it. It screwed up big time though and I had to scrap the idea. Maybe you could share some tricks on how to become the CG god of these boards, you know, when people bow down to you and stuff ;)

Carl

21. DaftMaul

Feb 18, 2001
    Actually, to be serious this time, what we really need is a good 'sabre contact flash' tutorial in either photoshop or After Effects.

Something created without just applying a big old lens flare to the screen. I think that's the number one question asked around here, that doesn't actually have a tutorial to point people to.

Make it a nice one and we'll put it up on the site :) If you don't want to, and someone else wants to have a go, PM me

::Looks at Ryan and taps fingers on desk, waiting for the elusive contact flash tutorial he talked about weeks ago.... :p ::

22. Macho

Sep 21, 2001
    what about the one that came with the composite toolkit daft?...if i do a nice tutorial on doing those clone armies could i get it up on the site?

23. borjis fett

borjis fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 1999

Well i don't know what anyone is talking about.

I found your Droid lighting tutorial quite simple. just the layout of the page was odd.

my vote goes for a tutorial on how you did the space shuttle in space shot.

the fire, animation.. and the lighting.

and or perhaps a touchup on your space lighting tutorial. specifically, what to do if you intend to animate your scene. The lights can't be like that if you animate along a path constraint.

WHATEVER you do, it WILL BE GOLD!!!!

:D

24. DaftMaul

Feb 18, 2001
    Hey Macho,

The composite toolkit supplies a ready made lens flare/tga file for people to use, which is slightly different, but the effect was very good.

I'm talking about a step by step tutorial on how to effectively create that TGA file in the first place, and then place it into After Effects/Photoshop filmstrip file afterwards.

As for your tutorial, go for it, if it's a good one* we'll see about putting it up. We're always looking for new tutorials...

*Does this sound like a get-out clause?

25. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    *Ever since nicklong made his comment about his previous work for a specific unnamed company... I've noticed the * used ALOT more...

What else can you make the board do, nick?

Cya
    Mike

EDIT: Whoops, still thought i was in the social thread... sorry pixel :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.