main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I am in the mood to write a tutorial.

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by PixelMagic, Aug 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkATX

DarkATX Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 14, 2000
    I'd love to see your approach at the multi-pass rendering technique!
    From start to finish...rendered out in Max and composited in After Effects with your colour correction method tossed in for fun.
    Make for a deep and insightful tutorial!
    :D

2. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Well guys, I could do a video tutorial, however, I am sorry to say that I have no way of hosting the tutorial. So if I made a video one, someone else would have to host it. And I don't know how to do the voice overs. Cause a PC mic just doesn't sound too great. Anyway, so it looks like everyone wants a fire tutorial, eh? Guys, that tutorial is covered at DV garage, that's where I learned to do it. However, if you guys go watch that and still want a fire tutorial, I'll think about it. So right now, here is what I'm thinking....

1. A tutorial on compositing CG with live action, including shadows, and advanced techniques such as lightwrapping.
    2. Fire tutorial.
    3. Keys to realistic 3D lighting.

How does that sound?

Sorry to the other guys who want modeling/ animation tutorials. First off, I can't model, and second, you can't really write a tutorial for someone falling through a ceiling.

3. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    sounds great pixel!

4. borjis fett

borjis fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 1999

Wow that would be awesome! :D

5. Master_Jedi_David

Master_Jedi_David Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2002
    That would be awesome Pixel, cannot wait.

6. brokenglassltd

brokenglassltd Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2002
    Pixel, you said you aren't good at doing smoke or fire. The best program for any particle effects, at least we feel, is Discreet's Combustion. The particles are rendered in 2D space instead of 3D.
    The program comes with a few tutorials on their emmiters.
    I know, it's a lot of money, but honestly we believe you can do a lot more with Combustion than Pinnacle's Commotion. Don't get us wrong, it is good, but Combustion 2.0 beats Commotion. But then again, new software always does that.
    There's our plug for Discreet!
    In our opinion you should do one on compositing. CG Mattes are rather clean, but many new editors don't know how to do it properly.

7. Admiral_Ant

Admiral_Ant Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    I personally like the results I get from pIllusion. It's great reasonably priced particle system. Check it out at www.particleillusion.com

8. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Pixel, what happened to the website you and CodePoet had for the Soft Drink Menace ? I noticed that you've been using your old geocities website lately...

9. borjis fett

borjis fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 1999

The particle generator in Combustion 2 is illusion :)

10. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    We lost our server. But don't worry, as soon as I get the money, we will put up a bigger and better Soft Drink Menace site. And I'll probably start working on those tutorials this weekend guys.

11. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Ok, guys, I want to do the tutorials in video style. However, I'm not sure how to do it yet. Any pointers on software for screen capture, and a good way to do a voice over?

12. HTS_HetH

HTS_HetH Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Hey Pixel, glad you decided to make this compositing tutorial, that will be of very much help! I´d like to point you to this program: CamStudio V1.22

This program can record all your onscreen-activity and save it as an .AVI including sound. You can select how to compress and so it should become quite handy for your video tutorial.

All the luck for the upcoming tutorials I´m sure they will help many of us in our current or future projects!

13. Axarel

Axarel Jedi Youngling

Jul 7, 2002
    How about this software? I've heard it recommended before for capturing screen actions.
    Camtasia 3.0.2

14. HTS_HetH

HTS_HetH Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Hey, Pixel, any news on your tutorial you´re working on? I´m eager to get my hands on it, as I´ll have to work on my CG compositing shots soon and need any help to make it look convincing. Especially casting of shadows and realistic lighting would be of much help!

So please keep us all informed on your progress for this baby =D

15. CarlCampbell

CarlCampbell Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2002
    Same question here... And btw Pixel... how come you never answer on MSN? The few times you've been online you've never said a word... I thought... you loved me! boohoo.. :_|

Carl

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.