main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "I Am Iron Man" - Iron Man 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Mauly Mall, Sep 21, 2006.

1. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I think a younger Frakes would've been perfect. He looks like ironman, and on star trek, riker was a bit of ladies man just like tony stark.

2. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Robert Downey Jr. is Iron Man!

Ain't-It-Cool-News reports that Robert Downey Jr. has been cast to play Iron Man for director Jon Favreau at Marvel Studios! The movie will be distributed by Paramount Pictures on May 2, 2008.

Based upon Marvel's iconic Super Hero, the film will follow billionaire weapons-manufacturer, Tony Stark (Downey Jr.), who confronts the sins of his past after he is injured by one of his own weapons. Equipped with a high-tech suit of armor, he becomes Iron Man to combat evil on a global scale.

Arthur Marcum and Matt Holloway wrote the film's screenplay.

3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Female Chorus:Tony Stark, makes you [uninteligible]
    He's the [uninteligible] with a heart of [uninteligible]
    Male Chorus:Iron Man KA-POW, KA-BANG!
    He fights and he bites (?) with repulor rays
    Female Chorus: It's Iron Man!
    All: IIII-RONNNNN MANNNN!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah. That's the old theme song, from memory.

4. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    That's actually a pretty good selection. He's had his personal troubles in the past, but Robert Downy Jr. has great acting skills and will look the part, very well.

5. DarthFacetious

DarthFacetious Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 3, 2004

*fixed

And now I have Sabbath's song stuck in my head.

6. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    That's good cause I didn't even start this thread with the movie in mind, I had been listening to the song a lot and I was like lemme start an Iron Man thread. [face_devil]

But that Robert Downey Jr. casting news is interesting, that certainly spices things up a bit.

..:.I..AM:..IYON::MAN.':..

7. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    He'll be great! Heck, they're both alcoholics.

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Hmmm, it could work. [face_thinking]

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Some Concept Art for the Suit

It also mentions that Stan Winston Studios might be doing a full mechanical suit for the movie. That would be awesome! :cool:

10. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    Looks...good, actually. I'm surprised.

11. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    [image=http://www.nolifetilmetal.com/images/sabbath_tony96.jpg]

:p

12. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Can someone tell me how an image of comic book Iron Man is a teaser poster for the movie? Looks like someone's fan art to me.

13. IronGoldie

IronGoldie Jedi Master star 1

Oct 15, 2006

14. Lord Mauly Mall

Oct 21, 1999
    Keep watching this space.
    [image=http://www.ironmanmovie.com/iron_man_layout.jpg]

15. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003

Hahah. One of my running jokes with my mates is

"Did you know Tony Stark was an alcoholic?"

"No way! When did you find this out? He must be good at keeping secrets!"

"I know!"

I think he mentions that he likes to drink/was a former alcoholic/wishes he could have a drink, like the old days in EVERY BLOODY COMIC he's in. Civil War is rife with comments like "Oh, I know why they turned to the bad side, because they're former alcoholics. Like myself. I used to be an alcoholic."

I want Tony Stark to mention he likes a drink in ever ten minutes of the movie. If not, it's not canon :p

I'm completely behind the decision to appoint Robert Downey as Tony. He'll look hot.

16. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Jeff Bridges Aboard Iron Man

Marvel Studios continues to build a golden foundation for its big screen adaptation of Iron Man as it announced today that Jeff Bridges will join the cast of the highly-anticipated summer 2008 event film. Bridges marks the fourth Academy-Award recognized actor signed on to the project, starring alongside Oscar® nominee Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark/Iron Man, Oscar® nominee Terrence Howard as Jim "Rhodey" Rhodes and Oscar® winner Gwyneth Paltrow as Virginia "Pepper" Potts. Directed by Jon Favreau, Iron Man is scheduled to blast into theaters May 2, 2008.

Few specifics of Bridges' role were released. He will portray a close business associate of Tony Stark. A confidant and longtime employee at defense contractor Stark Industries, Bridges' character plays a major role in shaping Tony Stark's life.

"We are thrilled to have Jeff Bridges on board 'Iron Man' in this pivotal role. His depth of talent and unique persona make him a perfect addition to this project, truly rounding out the ensemble," said Kevin Feige, President of Production, Marvel Studios. "His character is central to the entire storyline of the film and we could not have asked for a better choice than Jeff to bring this role to life."

Jeff Bridges has appeared in more than 50 movies during his illustrious career to date, and has garnered numerous accolades. Bridges has received four Academy Award® nominations, including a Best Actor nod for Starman and Supporting Actor recognition for The Contender, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot and The Last Picture Show. Among his other memorable film credits are: The Big Lebowski, Seabiscuit, The Fisher King, The Fabulous Baker Boys, Tucker: The Man and His Dream, Jagged Edge and Against All Odds. In 2007, he will be seen in A Dog Year and provide his vocal talents to the animated film Surf's Up.

Filming on Iron Man is scheduled to begin in Los Angeles in March 2007. The film will be distributed by Paramount Pictures.

Iron Man will be produced by Avi Arad and Kevin Feige. Executive Producers are Ari Arad, Peter Billingsley, Louis D'Esposito, Jon Favreau and Michael Helfant. Bridges is represented by Creative Artists Agency.

17. Lord Mauly Mall

Oct 21, 1999
    Nice! There's some sweet casting going on there. :cool:

18. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    the only casting i'm not big on is Gywneth Paltrow

19. Lord Mauly Mall

Oct 21, 1999
    I hear you but I'd prefer her over some younger celebutard who is only concerned about looks.

20. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
  21. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    You think Jeff Bridges might be playing Obadiah Stane?

22. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I hear that they're not making Tony an alcoholic for the film

23. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005

Jon Favereau has said that won't be brought up in the first film but will be approached in possible sequels.

24. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Iron Man Production Office Visit

Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. Last Tuesday I ventured from my ****** little LAX area hotel to Playa Vista where Jon Favreau has set up his IRON MAN offices.

I had visited this particular location once before when I walked around the ruins of Oliver Stone's WORLD TRADE CENTER (Click here to read that report!). The place is loaded with history, on a large piece of land once used by Howard Hughes to build the Spruce Goose. The hanger there is forkin' huge and, interestingly, made completely of wood since it was built during the war and no steel could be spared.

The offices are in these little structures that remind me of portables from junior high... or a built out trailer. Quite unassuming for a movie as high profile and massive as IRON MAN.

Once I got past the security guard, I was waved in by Favreau's friendly and beautiful assistant, Karen. I was pretty early, so I took a seat outside of Favreau's office next to a 3 foot tall clay maquette of Iron Man himself. After a few minutes of trying not to stare too obviously at the maquette while chatting with Karen and Peter Billingsley's equally beautiful and friendly assistant, Laura, Favreau arrived.

After a quick handshake he pointed to the maquette and asked how I liked his "decoy." It was one of the first maquettes based almost 100% on Adi Granov's IRON MAN design. Less bulky, more streamlined... high cheek-bones on the helmet. They loved having it around, but it wasn't what IRON MAN was going to look like in the film. If I wanted to see the design they were going with... I had but to enter Favreau's office.

He led me into his office where I saw some pretty pieces of production art, including the Mach 1 design (ie Grey Suit) and the classic Red and Gold design. Let's start with the Mach One.

I saw 2 pieces of art on the Mach One. One was a character study, three figures lined up giving a front, back and side view of the suit.

The chest-piece and helmet are very recognizable. It's not quite the classic grey suit, but it's very close. The helmet is flat and round, like a half of a Tylenol, with eye slits and a mouth slit cut into it. The chest is very much classic Iron Man, with the glowing centerpiece. The joints were hastily welded, as they would have been if welded in secret.

In the comics, Tony Stark was in Vietnam seeing how Stark Industries could help the American war effort when he was injured and taken prisoner. He was forced to build weapons with another prisoner, a brilliant physicist Yinsen, with a piece of shrapnel dangerously close to his heart. On the down low Yinsen helps Stark build a chest plate to keep him alive, which evolves into a makeshift suit of armor to help him escape his captors.

Vietnam is replaced with Afghanistan in the film. I brought up this change from the original comic and Favreau said he wouldn't make a change unless he felt like he needed to. He said keeping it to the comic book origin would require him to make a period film, which is not what he wants to do. I do know that Yinsen is still in the movie, though Favreau wouldn't spill on who was playing him. If they're placing this in Afghanistan I was thinking a perfect Middle Eastern version would be Omar Sharif. I didn't even float that idea out to Favreau, so don't go spreading it around as fact... pure dream casting on my part, but wouldn't it be great?

The radical differences with the grey suit were bulkier arm and leg pieces. Favreau said he wanted to make sure that the fantastic in this film is grounded and a realism brought to all aspects... In other words, he doesn't want to make a cartoon. The trick is sticking close to the source material while achieving that grounded realism. It seemed like Favreau embraced the fun, actiony aspect, but he wants to keep people involved... help them suspend their disbelief a little. In the case of the grey suit, he wanted to make it look like something you could covertly build in a prison (cave, in this case) unde

25. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I'm pretty sure the Extremis armor was introduced with the movie in mind. It's the perfect CGI suit.