main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "I Am Iron Man" - Iron Man 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Mauly Mall, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Because Tony Stark doesn't trust just anybody with the suits and takes action against anyone who builds anything close without his approval. Also, only someone with his hyperintelligence can build one to begin with.
    That was kind of a major plot point in Iron Man 2.

In Congress, when he made an ass out of Hammer...

And later with Captain Exposition Nick Fury....

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Also, at least in the comics, Stark is driven to make sure his suit is always several generations more advanced than anything anyone else is capable of building or acquiring.

I believe that was one of "The Five Nightmares" that kicked off the spectacular run of Invincible Iron Man (though it wasn't until a couple arcs afterwards that it really hit excellence with the whole Stark Dissembled arc during Dark Reign).

The films mostly portray that too- it's the concept that Ivan being able to build an AR upsets and puts Stark on the defensive against the "sharks" in IM2. I'm also kinda hoping the comment about nightmares in the IM3 trailer eventually ties into the same concept as well, as both a nod to the comics and an evolving theme in the films.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We also have the soundtrack listing (not the score):

1. "Ready Aim Fire" – Imagine Dragons
    2. "Some Kind of Joke" – AWOLNATION
    3. "Some Kind of Monster" – Neon Trees
    4. "American Blood" – Passion Pit
    5. "No Time" – Rogue Wave
    6. "One Minute More" – Capital Cities
    7. "Back To The Start"– Mr Little Jeans
    8. "Keep Moving" – Andrew Stockdale (of Wolfmother)
    9. "Redemption" – Redlight King
    10. "Big Bad Wolves" – WALK THE MOON
    11. "BAD GUY" – 3OH!3
    12. "Let's Go All The Way" – The Wondergirls featuring Ashley Hamilton and Robbie Williams

Seems like a big step down from Iron Man 2 and Avengers Assembled- Redlight King is the only band on there I've even heard of (and, then, only one song, which I haven't been able to figure out if it's actually good or not, heh).

Plus, it'd just be flat-out wrong to not have at least one AC/DC song in the film, even if it's not on the soundtrack...

Havac likes this.
  4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    No offence T2Q, but if you've not heard of them they're probably the bands all the cool kids are listening to.:p

Even I've heard of Imagine Dragons.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Going to do this as a separate post to make it easier to find, but here's the current Hall of Armor aka "The Wine Cellar":

-Mark 1/I:
    -Mark 2/II: "War Machine"
    -Mark 3/III:
    -Mark 4/IV:
    -Mark 5/V:
    -Mark 6/VI:
    -Mark 7/VII:
    -War Machine Mark 002: "Iron Patriot"
    -Mark 17/: "Heartbreaker", Artillery Level RT Suit
    -Mark 33/XXXIII: "Silver Centurion", Enhanced Energy Suit
    -Mark 35/XXXV: "Red Snapper", Disaster Rescue Suit
    -Mark 38/XXXVIII: "Igor", Heavy Lifting Suit
    -Mark 39/XXXIX: "Gemini", Sub Orbital Suit
    -Mark 40/XL: "Shotgun", Hyper Velocity Suit
    -Mark 47/XLVII: "?"

(I'll revise the list as we get new ones- this'll make it easier to keep track of.

The Heartbreaker has been my favorite so far, I must say- at least of the variants. 3/4/6 are probably still my favorites overall.

EDIT- It's possible I've heard a song of theirs and just have never heard the band name attached to it, but, still, while that is a matter of taste, at the very least it reflects a shift in tone as far as the music genre goes- they're not mainstream hard rock/alternative bands like they've been doing til now. Looks more like indie rock.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I like Iron Man, but this almost seems to be getting to be suit overkill... too many suits.

7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Stark is not Superman, he needs a suit for different situations which his regular suits can't deal with.

8. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    It keeps to the comics and other media though. As he goes on, Stark has hundreds of suits for just about every type of situation. Each have their trade offs. And then he has some standard suits that he tends to use more. Batman is very much the same way with his armor (armor for heat, cold, space, sea, etc.)

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Some great design work there -- I almost feel bad it won't all be getting highlighted individually.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It actually seems to be part of the character's arc in the film: he's cranked out 40 suits in the time since Avengers because he feels he needs to be in the suit all the time and be prepared for all possible situations (inter dimensional alien war encounters will do that to ya, it seems, ha).

11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Why doesn't he just build swappable parts instead of an entirely new suit every time?

EDIT: LeeKenobi, don't both Iron Man films contradict his point? In every single one of these things there's another genius who can build one of these suits. It's obviously not that impossible, and wouldn't really be realistic if it was.

12. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm presuming 'Igor' is the Hulkbusting suit that was teased in the previous page?

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I do love the hulk buster. The thing is, it looks like it would only fit the hulk.

14. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Does the Mandarin have his 10 rings' power like in the comic? Because it could easily crush Iron Man.

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Maybe. But even if he does, Iron Man will be victorious.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    He has ten rings, but it doesn't seem like they have any powers in this version (maybe they'll save that for the character in a sequel if he survives?).

Funny you mention that- the newest run of the comic has Tony turning to a swappable component suit as his latest thing (though, IMO, it feels like a huge step backward from the Bleeding Edge armor).

I think the film reality is you couldn't hot-swap only a few components to get the effects of some of those suits (you can't turn a regular suit into a hulk buster nor can you turn a heavy artillery suit into a lightweight/streamlined speed demon, or another speciality into orbital armor, etc).

Both films underline that Tony is the only one capable of making an RT power source and a functional suit.

Stane and his Stark co engineers couldn't do it- they had to retroengineer the remains if the Mark I and, even then, had to steal the RT from Tony's chest to make the Iron Monger work (despite having access to the large Arc Reactor). ("Tony Stark build this in a cave! With a box of scraps!" "I'm sorry sir, I'm not Tony Stark").

In IM2, they show Iran and North Korea failing at building a suit (though Tony expects them to build one technologically behind his by 5-10 years), while China's demo of Hammertech cripples its pilot and his subsequent efforts were no better ("Software is ****"). Hammer only made a working suit by modding the stolen Mark II.

Only Ivan was able to replicate RT tech between his intelligence and access to his father's plans. And that's what IM2 revolves around.

17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    FatBurt and The2ndQuest like this.
  18. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    They should just make a Centurions movie. I would watch that.

Also, but I mean what does it matter if someone has to reverse engineer something rather than make an original? A Colt revolver doesn't kill you any less just because the guy currently making them at the factory isn't smart enough to have come up with the original idea himself. It's just a tool. If you get the plans, you can build one of your own. It seems like with as many basically functional combat suits as have been made across these films, someone would've started rolling them out into mass production.

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The suits are a little more complex than a gun.

20. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Which would be relevant if we hadn't already seen several people build functional suits of similar design.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The catch is that it's not just the suits but also the power source. Only Stark and Ivan have made those (Rhodey doesn't let Hammer or the military at the RT itself).

Even the suits people have been able to make are several generations behind Stark's (which is how it is in the comics). And we see Stark take advantage of that in both films to defeat his opponents.

Heck, the only suit that was even able to actually fly was the Iron Monger before Ivan upgraded Hammer's suits into drones. And the Monger seemed to be using more traditional propellants rather than Repulsors (makes sense, given that it was based on the Mark I and Tony didn't implement Repulsors until Mark II).

So all everyone else really has at this point are grounded mech suits running off of traditional power sources.

Just because you can build a gun based on the plans someone else made doesn't mean you can invent gunpowder.

Or, as another example, build a portable electronics device that runs on batteries yet have to invent AA's or a rechargeable lithium ion battery (particularly if you don't even know you should be using lithium and have no test battery to determine such basic data).

22. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Well no, but I presume Ivan wasn't doing all that work in his head. Someone has the records, and it wasn't Stark as I recall the film.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You're right- at this point it comes down to what Ivan left behind at Hammer.

So, as of IM2's finale, it is possible someone could replicate Stark-like tech.

Ivan seemed to be working pretty secretly though- even Hammer didn't know the drones were combat and flight ready. And he obviously had incentive to not leave any gifts behind for Hammer.

However there's probably something left for others to scrounge up- the genie is out if the bottle, as they said, which would fit the theme of the film.

But, still, prior to that, no one could do it.

Now, Stark just needs to stay ahead of the competition. Having his own new element to power his suits without burning power cores and poisoning pilots is a good start. His advanced deployment options further that end.

24. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Well, I guess that's all fair. If the next film really does intend to adjust this, and the broader threat of proliferation, it may be a really interesting movie in the way the previous films have not been (The first was mildly entertaining, but not in this fashion, the second was just a terrible movie).

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I still think the second film is underrated even though it does have a notable flaw or two to keep it from being completely satisfying (mostly the lack of a Stark/Ivan scene outside the suits at the end instead of the unneeded suited fight after the drones). Still, I think it'll become more appreciated over time as it becomes more obviously standalone in retrospect.

It's hard to say what direction IM3 will take the proliferation theme exactly. The prequel comic has the Mandarin trying to acquire Starktech via an assault in War Machine, but I think that has more to do with him directly targeting Stark than use of the tech for himself.

However, I think its likely that the proliferation theme will expand away from RTs to Extremis.