main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "I Am Iron Man" - Iron Man 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Mauly Mall, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    But clearly the nerdy guy could not handle the role of such a big antagonist with so many goals.

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  3. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    He could not handle the role well, he was keep making stupid mistakes, it would be much better to set him as a servant of the antagonist rather than the antagonist himself.

4. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I have no idea how you got from point A to point B.

5. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    The antagonist has to be manipulative, powerful and has the nerve to manage his pawns execute his plan.

Killian is horrible on all these.

Therefore it's a bad choice.

6. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    He's all three of those. I mean, you can argue his master plan is kind of vague and poorly defined, and I would agree with you. That's the weakest point of the script.

But he manipulates the whole world, he's absurdly powerful thanks to Extremis, and he has pawns everywhere, from the science community to the White House.

And that has nothing to do with him being
    Osama Bin Fu Manchu or not.

7. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Actually his master plan does not have too much problem, while it's a bit similar to Cobra

The biggest problem is the execution of his plan, he and his pawns made too many fatal mistakes. He should keep many missions secretly but he and his pawns, especially the bald guy let too many people see their power. Also, send the bald guy to kidnap the president is also dumb, one check on his face then BOOM his plan. Remember Killian once brought the bald guy into the hall when he visited Pepper, many many people saw his face but he later still sent the bald guy to do missions without disguise. He also didn't put an eye on Maya, who was very important to his plan and knew most of his secrets, and later killed her when the virus was not perfected.

I understand why would he and his pawns do it, he was once a nerdy guy, people dislike him. Many of his pawns were also once cripples. So when they got superpower they were drunken with the power and wanted to show people how powerful they were. Killian went to mess up with Pepper because she's Tony's girlfriend. That fit his character. But that's not what a powerful antagonist who could rise up so many terrorist cells, manipulate both sides and almost controlled US should be. That role should have the nerve and kind to put away personal feelings and keep missions secret when it's necessary.

So that's why I think the plot twist is very bad, even if we put away the comic. Let the Mandarin be the antagonist and Killian being the servant of him would be much better.

8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  10. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    You know something?

If Killian was the head honcho behind Ten Rings the entire time....that means Stark was not the only person who told him to take a hike at the New Years party.
    [​IMG]
    Killian's brand of villainy is on par with an 8 year old kid throwing a temper tantrum, screaming that his parents will be sorry someday.

Say what you will about Iron Man 2 overall, but at least Mickey Rourke's motivation is much more interesting.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's actually a neat connection, tying in his abduction with Starks even if indirectly.

And I'm still hoping Ivan's father will get expanded upon in future films (Ant-Man seems most likely if it still has the rumored partial-1960's setting).

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That doesn't appear to have been the writer's intention.

13. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    That wasn't Jon Favreau's intention. BUT...Shane Black retconned it, and now "I've always been the Mandarin" is MCU canon, especially with the Dr. Yinsen connection.

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    "I've always been the Mandarin" doesn't necessarily mean what you think it means.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Iron Man 3 finale animatics:

Trevor Gets Extremis:

Rhodey amongst the chaos:

More finale: