main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"I am more powerful than the Chancellor. I can overthrow him": Anakin a flip-flopper?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by WiSe_SitH_LoRd, Nov 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Well he is the Chosen One. If he couldn't kill Palpatine, who could?

2. Hou-nom Jek

Hou-nom Jek Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2000
    He sure flip-flopped when Obi rocked his face onto that lava bank.

3. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    He's not a "flip-flopper"....he's a sith.

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    "One of the themes throughout the films is that the Sith Lords, when they started out thousands of years ago, embraced the Dark Side. They were greedy and self-centered and they all wanted to take over, so they killed each other. Eventually there was only one left, and that one took on an apprentice. And for thousands of years, the master would teach the apprentice, the master would die, the apprentice would then teach another apprentice, the master, and so on. But there could never be any more than two of them, because if there were, they would try to get rid of the leader, which is exactly what Vader was trying to do, and that's exactly what the Emperor was trying to do. The Emperor was trying to get rid of Vader, and Vader was trying to get rid of the Emperor. And that is the antithesis of a symbiotic relationship, in which if you do that, you become cancer, and you eventually kill the host, and everything dies."

--George Lucas, Bill Moyers Time Magazine Interview; 1999.

The Sith are the natural enemy of the Jedi. As George Lucas describes it, the Sith were once in control of the galaxy 1000 years in the past. Unfortunately, the Sith's hunger for conquest got the better of them-so many Sith Lords were vying for ultimate control that it led to infighting among their ranks. Such internecine struggles were exploited by the Jedi Knights of the era, and they were able to turn the tide and defeat the Sith.

As Ki-Adi-Mundi states in Episode I, the Sith have been extinct for a millenium; however, not all were wiped out. A surviving Sith Lord sought to rebuild the order, to retake the galaxy, and to take revenge. This Sith Lord realized the dangers of having too many in the order, so he kept his existence a secret. It would be a long time coming, but he carefully plotted revenge. There would be only two Sith Lords at a time, a master and an apprentice, working in secret, planting the seeds for their eventual rise.

--Star Wars Insider, issue 78; page 60

5. PerfectCell

PerfectCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    Besides the fact that he's a Sith, it's also Anakin doing whatever he can in his power to convince Padme that what he is doing is right, and for some reason he believes telling her that they could rule the galaxy together would make her happy. Perhaps as a result of his dealings with politics throughout the years that is the way that he thinks politics should work and he wants Padme to see things the same way that he does.

6. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    i can think of many ones who have a better shot than suited vader at doing that. [face_whistling]

7. WiSe_SitH_LoRd

WiSe_SitH_LoRd Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    Anakin clearly needed Palpatine in order to save Padme. I couldn't imagine him trying to create life with the Force alone...

8. Darth Sin

Darth Sin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 14, 1999
    I actually think that when Anakin declared to Padme that he could overthrow the Chancellor and that he and Padme could rule together, I somewhat believe he figured that Palpatine had lied to him about having the power to keep people from dying, and that he was only using him to get what he wanted.

I believe this in part because Anakin said to Padme, Love won't save you Padme, only my new powers can"!

I actually think that by this point, Anakin believed that with his new powers, and having access to the Jedi Temple and the archives, he could after killing Palpatine find how to keep Padme from dying.

Let us remember that Anakin heard Palps tell him a lie just before he makes him a Sith, when he says only one has been able to cheat death, and together they can discover the secret cheating death. He changed what he had told Anakin in the beginning, when at first he said he alone had the power to save life, then he says perhaps they can discover the secret. Surely Anakin was paying attention to this change, this lie.

So as I said, I believe Anakin in giving into the dark side, allowed the dark side and its power to convince him he could achieve the power to save lives without Palpatine.

But after his near death, Palpatine from a certain point of view saves his life, and with Padme dead, he was at the mercy of Palpatine, so from there he did submit himself to learning more about the dark side, not only to achieve more power, but even helping him in the state he was in due to his injuries.

Darth Sin! :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.